Christmas

  • fuyedaein <athomson@iweb.net.au>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30 2:43 AM
      I have spoke to my Father about his Christmas in Aberdeen, my
      Dad served his time in Aberdeens famous granite yards in the
      early 60's, he recalls every 24th Dec the boss would come out
      to the yard, and every worker would Hae a wee nip to celebrate
      yule, but he never worked on Christmas day, where his Father
      worked on Christmas day until my Father left for Australia in
      the late 60's. Dad tells me Christmas presents were not given
      until Hogmanay, and mainly fruit was left in the stocking. No
      special meal was had on Christmas day, but Chicken, Tatties,
      Neeps and Brose were all eaten for Hogmanay.

      My father is wondering whether people from different parts of
      Aberdeen celebrated things different, My Dad is from the
      Northfield, Hilton area of Aberdeen, he recalls everyone
      celebrating the same way, my Mother is from the Kincorth area,
      she celebrated traditional Christmas style, although she tells
      me Broadfords where she worked, worked half a day on Christmas
      day.

      My parents have loved reading all the recent e-mails regarding
      this subject.

      To all my fellow members
      Happy Hogmanay

      Regards Andrew Thomson
      Hot Adelaide, South Australia
    • Moira
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30 2:01 PM
        Andrew,

        Love the email address, I lived downtown Aberdeen,
        Upperkirkgate, then moved to Stockethill when I was around
        eight. That's close to Northfield. I went to Hilton Secondary
        School (now closed) Maybe your Dad went there too. I was Moira
        McDonald in those days. I am in cold snowy Ottawa now.

        I also wish all the members a Happy Hogmanay and all the best
        for 2003....................

[...]

      • Katherine Blake
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30 7:48 PM
          Don't know about different parts of Aberdeen celebrating at
          different times, but I lived in the Hilton area and we had
          Christmas dinner and a New Years day dinner, but I do recall
          my cousin who lived in the Fyvie area did have a stocking
          hanging on New Years eve at my grandmothers place. Yet we
          did on Christmas, lol now I come to think of it he got two
          lots (smiles).

          Katherine