Aberdeen Journal extracts...any interest?

  • John Brebner
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      I've been working my way through the pre-1800
      Aberdeen Journal newspaper microfilms and come
      across a number of references to property sales,
      farm leases, creditors proceedings and so-on for
      Stonehaven and surrounding area.

      I've appended two such items; I don't want to fill
      up everyone's mailbox with these on a regular basis
      unless there is a consensus that these are of some
      interest and use. Let me know if you'd like to see
      more!

      ************

      Issue 2557, January 10th, 1797

      NOTICE

      Is hereby given to the Creditors of ALEXANDER GRANT,
      late Vintner in Stonehaven, that the accounts relative
      to his affairs, and the scheme of the first dividend
      to be made from his estate, ly (sic) at the desire of
      the commissioners, open for inspection in the hands of
      John Low, Writer in Stonehaven, the trustee; and will
      continue to do so untill (sic) the 9th of February next,
      so that if there are any objections to be stated to
      these accounts, they will fall to be lodged with the
      trustee against that day; when if no such are lodged,
      a dividend will be paid by the trustee.

      ************

      Issue 2578, June 6th, 1797

      A FARM AND KELP SHORES TO BE LET.

      To be Let, the farm of MAINS of DUNNOTTAR.- The lease
      to be for 24 years, from Whitsunday 1797, or, to enter
      at Martinmas, to be for 24 crops, beginning with crop
      1798.

      The farm consists of above 190 Scots acres. The soil
      is of a remarkably fine quality. It is situated within
      half a mile of the town of Stonehaven, and is divided
      into two nearly equal parts by the new turnpike road
      leading from Stonehaven to Bervie.

      The farm has a right to sea weed for manure, of which
      a very large supply may be had; and good access has
      lately been opened to the shore at considerable expence.

      Were it agreeable to a tenant, a considerable addition
      may be made to the farm.

      For further particulars, apply to F. Logie at Uras, or
      to Mr. John Low, writer in Stonehaven. Also will be let
      a Cutting of the Ware for Kelp on the Shores of the
      Lands of Dunnottar, for season 1797. Apply as above.

      ***********

      John Brebner

      Researching Brebner/Bremner genealogies in the
      North-East of Scotland and around the world at
      http://www.brebner.com
    • abelau@ocsnet.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
        Hello John,

        How nice of you to ask for opinions before going
        further with your extracts. My vote is to receive
        more. I found them very interesting and who knows,
        some future extract may hold the key clue that one
        of us has been looking for.

        Thanks for sending them.

        Ann

        I've been working my way through the pre-1800
        Aberdeen Journal newspaper microfilms and come
        across a number of references to property sales,
        farm leases, creditors proceedings and so-on for
        Stonehaven and surrounding area.

        I've appended two such items; I don't want to fill
        up everyone's mailbox with these on a regular basis
        unless there is a consensus that these are of some
        interest and use. Let me know if you'd like to see
        more!

        John Brebner
      • martin paton
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
          I would certainly be interested, especially as my
          family seem to have left the area considerable
          earlier, perhaps I will find their old property.

          Martin Paton

          I've been working my way through the pre-1800
          Aberdeen Journal newspaper microfilms and come
          across a number of references to property sales,
          farm leases, creditors proceedings and so-on for
          Stonehaven and surrounding area.

          I've appended two such items; I don't want to fill
          up everyone's mailbox with these on a regular basis
          unless there is a consensus that these are of some
          interest and use. Let me know if you'd like to see
          more!

          John Brebner
        • Bruce Watt
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
            John,

            The more the merrier. Who knows what names may be
            uncovered although I think my ancestors would lean
            more to creditor proceedings rather than
            landholdings!

            Bruce Watt
            Australia, where real cricket is played.

            I've been working my way through the pre-1800
            Aberdeen Journal newspaper microfilms and come
            across a number of references to property sales,
            farm leases, creditors proceedings and so-on for
            Stonehaven and surrounding area.

            I've appended two such items; I don't want to fill
            up everyone's mailbox with these on a regular basis
            unless there is a consensus that these are of some
            interest and use. Let me know if you'd like to see
            more!

            John Brebner
          • Grabo
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
              I wouldn't mind them either. I'm just starting to
              get back into my family lines.

              Kathy Grabo (Stephen, Dalziel, Scott)

              I've been working my way through the pre-1800
              Aberdeen Journal newspaper microfilms and come
              across a number of references to property sales,
              farm leases, creditors proceedings and so-on for
              Stonehaven and surrounding area.

              I've appended two such items; I don't want to fill
              up everyone's mailbox with these on a regular basis
              unless there is a consensus that these are of some
              interest and use. Let me know if you'd like to see
              more!

              John Brebner
            • Paula/ Reed
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
                Have you seen anything with the surname Clubb?

                Paula

                John,

                Sure would be interested in what you have found,
                never know what your could dig up for somebody.
                Interested in seeing if any of my ancestors left
                any property. or sold any before coming to USA,
                or to any of my ancestors that stayed behind.

                Eileen

                Hi John,

                Yes, I am very interested in any info you can
                find, please keep searching & recording, & let
                us know what you discover.

                Regards
                Lyn

                Great idea John, I would like to receive a copy
                and appreciate you making the offer.

                Thanks,
                Brian

                Yes please to John Brebner's kind offer, I found
                the extracts very interesting.

                Sylvia Wray