Re: [Stonehaven Genealogy] We Will Remember Them

  • beaurick@squirrel.com.au
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2002
      Jim, thanks to you and all the other people who
      remember the 11 Nov 1918. It is a shame the world
      has forgotten.

      Frank Beattie OAM

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2002
        Dear Jim

        Thank you so much for the time you have spent on
        the Stonehaven War Memorial page. You have done
        a tremendous amount of work and I am sure it is
        appreciated by everyone as much as it is by me.

        For those listers who think people may have
        forgotten I would like to set your mind at ease.
        I have just come back home after a day in which
        our entire town honored veteran's of all wars
        and all nations. The day begins at the cemetery
        with a solemn service. There is then a parade
        interrupted by 2 minutes of silence at 11am and
        a fly over. In the afternoon the town fills the
        football stadium to pay further honors, release
        white doves and listen to musical tributes
        offered by several hundred young musicians from
        many towns in the area All is not forgotten,
        and all is appreciated by everyone in this
        California town of 45,000 people. It has been a
        lovely and moving Veteran's Day. I hope everyone
        had the same type of day where they live.

        Ann
      • don.esslemont@paradise.net.nz
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 11, 2002
          I don't think the world has. Here in New Zealand
          the major commemorations are on Anzac Day, 25 April,
          the anniversary of the landings by the Australian
          and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli in 1915.
          Everywhere in New Zealand on that day there are
          commemorative services - one of them usually a
          "Dawn Parade" before sunrise. Numbers attending
          have been rising in recent years, and include more
          and more young people.

          Armistice Day is also remembered here, but with
          less emphasis.

          Regards,

          Don

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2002
            Remembrance in Australia takes the same form as in
            New Zealand. 11 November is not a public holiday
            here but Anzac Day (25 April) is and with similarly
            increasing attendance at both dawn and other services,
            particularly here in Canberra at the National War
            Memorial. Although poppies are sold for Armistice
            Day, they do not seem to be as widely worn as I
            remember in the UK and rosemary (for remembrance)
            is often worn for Anzac Day.

            Cheers

            Joan
            Canberra