Re: James Masson

  • susienkel65
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Charlie,

      You might have seen James Masson on my Skaterow genealogy pages.
      He died at 4, Castle Square, Stonehaven on the 18 Nov 1916. I
      have this information from Stuart Christie (see his family tree at:

      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/h/r/Stuart-Christie/tree1.html.

      I know very little about James' wife, Isabella Wood. Can you
      confirm my hunch that she was born 18 Aug 1846 to Andrew Wood
      and Agnes Twigg in Downies? Do you know when she died?

      Any further facts are most welcome.

      Regards
      Susannee
    • Eileen Rice

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2002
          Hi Eileen,

          Sorry about that. When I approved the Message I didn't
          notice that a . had been added to the end of the link.
          Please try clicking on the link below and it should take
          you to the site:

          http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/h/r/Stuart-Christie/tree1.html

          CHEERS,

          Jim Allan, Moderator

          The web site says it has moved or been deleted.
          Is there another way to get to it ?

          You might have seen James Masson on my Skaterow genealogy pages.
          He died at 4, Castle Square, Stonehaven on the 18 Nov 1916. I
          have this information from Stuart Christie (see his family tree at:

          http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/h/r/Stuart-Christie/tree1.html.

          I know very little about James' wife, Isabella Wood. Can you
          confirm my hunch that she was born 18 Aug 1846 to Andrew Wood
          and Agnes Twigg in Downies? Do you know when she died?

          Any further facts are most welcome.

          Regards
          Susannee
        • Charlie&Judy-Anne Warby
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2002
            Hi Eileen,

            Yes you are right, Isabella is the daughter of Andrew Wood
            and Agnes Twigg. At this stage I don't know her death date.

            Charlie
          • Charlie&Judy-Anne Warby
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2002
              Hi Susannee,

              Yes, Isabella Wood's parents are Andrew Wood and Agnes Twigg
              Could you confirm her birthday so far don't know her death

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
                Hi Charlie,

                I'm sorry if it was my mistake in copying the URL that made
                the link not work. Thanks Jim for posting the correct one.

                About James Masson, I should add that he is a relative of
                mine, although distant. His grandparents James Masson and
                Janet Adam are my 5G grandparents. So if you are descended
                from him, we are related also.

                James Masson and Janet Adam had two daughters, Margaret and
                Jean. Margaret's son Robert Christie b 1825 and Jean's
                daughter Janet Masson b 25 Aug 1830 were married and they
                are my GGG grandparents.

                Best regards
                Susanne
              • susienkel65
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
                  Hi Charlie,

                  I have bought an excellent book with BMD entries for the
                  Episcopalian Church of Portlethen. It is called "30 years
                  at Portlethen, The Day Book, 1840-1869 of The Rev. William
                  Law". I bought it from the Aberdeen & North-East Family
                  History Society, order no AA430 and it cost £4.80.

                  Lots of entries for the fishing villages of Portlethen,
                  Downies and Findon. The best part is that for entries
                  before 1855 it most often also has date of birth where as
                  in the IGI you only find dates for the christening. It
                  also has small sections on "Historical events", "Loss of
                  boats and lives at sea", "Poor money" and "Elders".

                  Entry on page 52:

                  WOOD Isobel: Andrew Wood w.f. 4 Downies and wife Agnes Twigg a dau. b.
                  l9 ult. bap. 1 Aug. 1846

                  There are also these siblings:

                  WOOD Wm.: Andrew Wood w.f. 4 Downies and his wife Helen (sic!) Twigg
                  had a son born 18 Oct. and baptized 22 Oct. 1842 (page 55)

                  WOOD Martha: Andrew Wood w.f. 4 Downies and his wife Agnes Twigg had a
                  daughter born 22 bap. 30 Mar. 1844 (page 55)

                  WOOD Joseph: Andrew Wood w.f. 4 Downies and his wife Agnes Twigg had a
                  son born 15 ult. and baptized 3 Sep. 1848 (page 54)

                  WOOD Ann: Andrew Wood w.f. 4 Downies and his wife Agnes Twigg had a
                  daughter born 25 ult. and baptized 7 Sep. 1850 (page 50)

                  Ult. is an abbreviation of the latin "ultimo" meaning "last" (day,
                  month, year). So in Isobel's entry I'm guessing that "born 19 ult. bap.
                  1 Aug." means she was born the 19 August. Does anyone else have a
                  comment as I'm not at all sure about this?

                  Best regards
                  Susanne

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 3, 2002
                    Hi all,

                    About the abbreviation ult. which is used frequently in
                    the book "30 years at Portlethen". I must have been tired
                    when I wrote my message to Charlie yesterday and got the
                    months mixed up.

                    I think Isobel Wood's entry "born 19 ult. bap. 1 Aug."
                    means that she was born the 19 July and baptised 1 August.

                    To find more ecclesiastical abbreviations, look at this
                    sub group of the Catholic Encyclopedia

                    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01022a.htm

                    Best regards
                    Susanne
                  • finlaysonlesley
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 11, 2002
                      Charlie,

                      Just for interest,

                      Agnes Wood and Andrew Wood's marriage is mentioned as a
                      genealogical gem as part of the Scots Origin's website:

                      http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/grosweb/grosweb.nsf/pages/gems

                      Regards

                      Lesley Finlayson

                      Yes, Isabella Wood's parents are Andrew Wood and Agnes Twigg
                      Could you confirm her birthday so far don't know her death
                      date--

                      Charlie
                    • kwcoull
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 19, 2002
                        Susanne,

                        I think in the case of Isobel WOOD's birth, the "ultimo"
                        has to be interpreted as meaning that she was born 19 Jul
                        and baptised 1 Aug 1846 (July being the "last" month before
                        the recorded baptisim in August).

                        Ken