Having Trouble

  • ascotishman2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2002
      Hello,

      I am new to the group. I've been trying to research my family
      and am having problems. It seems that the men that came from
      Scotland didn't like to talk about Scotland, so I don't have
      a time frame other then around the 1850's. And that they came
      from the Perthshire area. The family name is PIRNIE. I haven't
      been able to find out what the family did or much else.

      Thank you for any help,

      Larry
    • davies2mof@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
        Larry

        If you look in the IGI index

        (http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp)

        you will find a goodly number of Pirnies, some of whom lived
        in Perthshire. You will need a little more information to be
        able to pick out which are yours. Pirnie is not that common a
        name, and so it may not be too difficult to identify your
        family.

        Ian Davies
        25 7 2

        I am new to the group. I've been trying to research my family
        and am having problems. It seems that the men that came from
        Scotland didn't like to talk about Scotland, so I don't have
        a time frame other then around the 1850's. And that they came
        from the Perthshire area. The family name is PIRNIE. I haven't
        been able to find out what the family did or much else.

        Thank you for any help,

        Larry
      • Grant Muckart
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
          Hi Larry,

          I suppose this is a bit obvious but have you tried the IGI
          or the Scots Origins database yet?

          Grant Muckart

          Nairn
          Scotland

          I am new to the group. I've been trying to research my family
          and am having problems. It seems that the men that came from
          Scotland didn't like to talk about Scotland, so I don't have
          a time frame other then around the 1850's. And that they came
          from the Perthshire area. The family name is PIRNIE. I haven't
          been able to find out what the family did or much else.

          Thank you for any help,

          Larry
        • Alex. Gray
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
            Hi Larry

            The Tay-Valley Family History Centre in Dundee covers
            the area you are looking for, have a look at

            www.tayvalleyfhs.org.uk

            I had a look at the surname Pirnie on the LDS site and
            it appears to be quite a rare surname and is largely
            confined to the Perthshire and Angus areas and this
            should make it easier to trace your ancestors.

            Another option would be to subscribe to the Perthshire
            rootsweb site, have a look at:

            http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/SCT/PERTHSHIRE.html

            then follow the instructions for subscribing.

            Note there is no fee for subscribing.

            Best of luck with your research.

            Regards

            Alex. Gray
            Rutherglen
            Scotland.

            I am new to the group. I've been trying to research my family
            and am having problems. It seems that the men that came from
            Scotland didn't like to talk about Scotland, so I don't have
            a time frame other then around the 1850's. And that they came
            from the Perthshire area. The family name is PIRNIE. I haven't
            been able to find out what the family did or much else.

            Thank you for any help,

            Larry
          • Linda Wiggins
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
              Hello Larry,

              Where did your family GO to?

              You may have to exhaust all the sources there first..census
              records/land records/wills/BMD records etc. For instance,
              in Canada the 1901 census asks for a complete birth date and
              place....keep in mind, the place may just state 'Scotland'.
              Every little clue gleaned along the way will help in your
              research.

              I attended a genealogical conference this weekend and one of
              the presenters suggested that there are no 'brick walls'.

              Only the ones that we create ourselves by:

              1. not exhausting all the home sources

              2. not reviewing all the info we do have on our ancestors
              (there are always little clues hiding that we do not always see)

              3. not searching in bordering parishes/towns
              (this is where I went wrong once...only checked the Presbyterian
              church records until the St Ternan's Episcopal church records came
              available on CD rom...there they were, all my ancestors and their
              families!)

              I am sorry this does not help much, but just keep digging. You will
              find something. And just reading messages on this list may give you
              some ideas!

              Good luck,
              Linda

            • elaine.nicoll@lineone.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 25, 2002
                Hi Larry

                I have connections to a family of PIRNIEs by marriage
                - if you let me know names & dates I might be able to help.

                Regards
                Elaine

                I am new to the group. I've been trying to research my family
                and am having problems. It seems that the men that came from
                Scotland didn't like to talk about Scotland, so I don't have
                a time frame other then around the 1850's. And that they came
                from the Perthshire area. The family name is PIRNIE. I haven't
                been able to find out what the family did or much else.

                Thank you for any help,

                Larry
              • ascotishman
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 14, 2002
                  Hi Elaine

                  Thank you for your response here is what I have

                  James Pirnie, Scotland

                  Hugh Pirnie dob 23 Apr 1838 Murrows, Augus

                  Charlie Pirnie dob 21 Nov 1855 Anderston,
                  Glasgow,Lanark

                  Silas Pirnie

                  Kenneth Pirnie dob May 1910

                  Steve Pirnie dob 1 Aug 1941