RE: Place name look ups

  • Kay and Greg Blackburn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2002
      Thanks to Jim Allan and Ian Davies, and also to Joan Holst
      who contacted me off list. All of you have been very helpful.
      Auchlee does seems to be the odd one out, being near Kirkton
      of Maryculter, where as all the other places are South or
      South West of Stonehaven. Now that is a puzzle.

      Let me explain so that you kind people can see what I have.
      Examination of the IGI film for batch 7032305 reveals 39
      Duncans. I have a printed list as follows:

      Item 5 is Jean Duncan F. b. 17 Apr 1740 Dunnottar. Father William Duncan,
      Auchlee.

      Item 6 is Isabel Duncan F. b. 27 Mar 1742 Dunnottar. Father William Duncan
      Auchlee.

      Item 14 is Christian Duncan F. b. 27 Jun 1756 Dunnottar. Father John
      Duncan Sub-tenant Auchlee.

      Item 15 is Alexander Duncan M. b.11 Jun1762 Dunnottar. Father John Duncan.
      Tenant. Witness William Duncan Tenant Upper Baulk.

      Item 16 is John Duncan M. b. 22 Jan 1764 Dunnottar. Father John Duncan
      Sub-tenat Auchlee.

      There are two other entries similar to the above for Jean and William
      Duncan the children of Alexander Duncan also of Auchlee. I wonder if
      Auchlee as I have could be a contractions of a longer name around
      Brackmuirhill, Loch of Lumgair/Lumgair Farm, Upper Baulk and Nether Baulk.

      Another look at the printout suggests the the submitter of the batch
      changed location reference from Dunnottar to Stonehaven part way through
      the data. So this makes the supplementary question a dead duck.

      Is there anything here that suggests any more comment?

      Regards Greg in Raumati New Zealand
    • davies2mof@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2002
        Greg

        The first step would be to look at the original films of the
        parish registers and check for transcription accuracy.

        Ian Davies
        6 6 2