WEEKLY UPDATE – JUNE 02, 2002

  • thistleinn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
      As Of 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time: June 02, 2002

      TOTAL - MEMBERSHIP: 315

      TOTAL - MESSAGES: 1421

      TOTAL - SURNAME ENTRIES IN DATABASES: 1162

      TOTAL - MEMBERS ACT OF KINDNESS CLUB VOLUNTEERS: 11

      SCOTTISH DIALECT

      The Celtic dialect called Scots Gaelic, or Erse, was heard
      in many parts of the Scottish Highlands, especially in the
      Hebrides. Throughout most of the rest of Scotland, however,
      a Scottish dialect of English had been spoken almost as long
      as in England. This dialect, descendant of the Northumbrian
      dialect of Old English, was first known as Inglis and then,
      during the eighteenth century, as Scots.

      Educated Scots during this period strove to speak and to
      write Scots or English with equal fluency. Burns made his
      reputation writing Scots poetry, but he also wrote
      extensively using formal English diction. Boswell could
      easily fall into speaking Scots, but he worked diligently
      to eradicate "Scottisms" from his writing. Johnson was
      complementing Boswell when he called him the "most
      unScottified" Scot he had ever met.

      --------------------------

      For those of you who have an interest in or are thinking of making a
      trip to the Scottish Highlands this year, may I suggest that you take
      a look at the following Web Site which is the official on-line
      visitor guide to the Highlands of Scotland, put out by the Highlands
      of Scotland Tourist Board.

      http://www.host.co.uk/

      You may also request a copy of the 2002 holiday brochure for the
      Highlands of Scotland, by clicking on the following link:

      http://extranet.host.co.uk/brochure.asp

      --------------------------

      The following 9 Members are currently listed in my records
      as "Bouncing Members" of STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY. Please follow the
      instructions below to reactivate your account so that you will no
      longer show up as "Bouncing Members". If the following members are
      still showing up as "Bouncing Members" on Saturday, June 8th, their
      membership will be deleted from the Group. If you need help, please
      contact me directly at thistleinn@... "THANK YOU".

      YAHOO ID.........EMAIL ADDRESS

      scotsman48.......genealogy@...

      hcpquayle........hcpquayle@...

      heather2642......heather2642@...

      kathleententwo...kathleententwo@...

      pettie...........pettie2@...

      piajeb34.........piajeb34@...

      p_vassello.......p_vassello@...

      silverdale45.....silverdale45@...

      Not available....kd.robinson@...

      If group messages sent to your email address are returned to Yahoo!
      Groups as undeliverable ("bouncing"), your Yahoo! Groups account may
      be temporarily disabled.

      Messages can be returned for several reasons:

      •Your mailbox may be full -- try deleting messages from your Inbox.

      •Your ISP may have a backlog of email to process -- contact your ISP.

      •Your ISP may be blocking email from Yahoo! Groups -- contact your
      ISP.

      In many cases, Yahoo! Groups can automatically reactivate your
      account once the delivery problem is solved. However, in some cases
      you will need to manually reactivate your account:

      1.Visit your My Groups page.

      2.Look for a bounce alert near the top of the page.

      3.Click the Alert link to reactivate your account.

      Another reason for showing up as a Bouncing Member is that you have
      changed your email address, but haven't updated your records with
      your YAHOO ID. Please ensure that you always keep your records up to
      date so that you don't lose touch with the Group or are accidentally
      deleted from the Group.

      --------------------------

      MY WEEKLY REMINDERS:

      Have you done a complete scan of your computer for viruses lately? If
      not, now would be a good time to do one. And why not update your
      Antivirus Program while you're at it, to help ensure that you're not
      spreading any unwanted viruses to other members.

      Do you have any interesting stories, unsolved mysteries, or extracts
      from books or records that you would like to share with the members.
      Drop me a line with the details and I'll highlight them in an
      upcoming WEEKLY UPDATE.

      Visit the SURNAME lists today, to check out the new additions or to
      add some of your own to the list.

      If you have ancestors who came from Stonehaven, check out our other
      site, STONEHAVEN ROOTS, and see if they are listed. If they're not,
      just fill out the REQUEST FORM on the Site and I will add them ASAP:

      http://www.geocities.com/thistleinn/

      Will you be or have you changed your email address? Don't forget to
      update your membership, so that we don't loose touch.

      Are there too many emails coming your way from STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY?
      Then why not switch your email setting from Individual Emails to
      Daily Digest. This way you will only receive one email containing all
      of the messages from that day. If your not sure how, just let me know
      & I'll change your setting for you.

      That's all for this week folks! Goodbye until next time!

      CHEERS,

      Jim Allan, Moderator
      Victoria, B.C. CANADA
      thistleinn@...

      STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stonehaven_Genealogy/

      STONEHAVEN ROOTS
      http://www.geocities.com/thistleinn/

      ANESFHS Member 10387
    • Angela Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
        Dear James,

        I have not written to the message board before but I
        feel I must to save any confusion regarding your
        information on the Scottish dialect.

        An accent is the sound of a spoken language, the way
        people pronounce words. A dialect of a language is the
        distinctive local vocabulary and non standard grammar
        of a region.

        Scottish Gaelic is not a dialect of English. It is a
        language in it's own right totally unconnected to
        English. It has a longer history in the British Isles
        and was spoken throughout Britain until the
        Anglo-Saxon invasion in what is now England and
        Southern Scotland. Gaelic remained a major language of
        Scotland until it was suppressed by the English in the
        17th century. Up until then many Scots had been
        bi-lingual. The English banned Gaelic along with other
        aspects of our culture, people were hung for speaking
        it. Even though today it is no longer illegal to speak
        Gaelic, it still does not receive any official status
        by the Government. For example Government documents
        may be obtained in a variety of languages including
        Welsh, Urdu, and Hindi but not Gaelic. The law which
        banned teaching in Gaelic and teaching Scottish
        history has only recently been repealed. Please
        remember that history is written by the victors and
        Gaelic is often disregarded as a minority language of
        the highlands when it was much more than this.

        Scots have for a long time suffered criticism for our
        accents and dialects and for a while the only way to
        'get on' was to lose the accent. However this is true
        for many regional English accents as well.

        The advent of better transport systems and the English
        Public School system created for the first time a
        standard English accent known as received
        pronunciation (or BBC English)to which many education
        people aspired (not just from Scotland). Television
        and mass communications acts as a 'dialect leveller'
        and most regional accents are no longer as pronounced
        as they once were. However, it would be wrong to give
        the impression that educated Scots are ashamed of our
        accents and dialects for I can assure you, we are not.

        Yours

        Angela Smith
      • thistleinn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2002
          Hi Angela,

          I appreciate your reply to the section in my WEEKLY
          UPDATE concerning "THE SCOTTISH DIALECT". I came upon
          the article while searching the internet for a
          completely different subject a couple of weeks ago and
          I too was a little confused by it. That's why I decided
          to add it to the UPDATE this week to see if any Members,
          such as yourself, could help explain it with a little
          more detail. This you have done beautifully and I thought
          I should "THANK YOU" personally for doing so.

          "WELL DONE".

          CHEERS,

          Jim Allan, Moderator