Inmate

  • Alex. Gray
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2002
      Hi Lesley

      I think you are on the wrong track re the poorhouse etc.
      The use of the word 'inmate' was quite a common term on
      death certificates and all it means is that the person who
      reported the death resided in the house where the death
      took place.

      Alex. Gray
    • finlaysonlesley
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2002
        Hi Alex,

        Thank you for your reply.

        That seems to make a lot more sense. Even though I suggested
        the poorhouse or prison theory in the first place, I was
        never completely convinced.

        Rober Masson jr was a young fisherman and I couldn't
        really picture him in a poorhouse at that time.

        Also, his address wasn't listed as the poorhouse, it was
        left blank which normally seems to suggest he was living
        in the same house. Therefore your explanation seems to
        support this.

        Thank you for clearing up this matter.

        Regards