WEEKLY UPDATE – MAY 05, 2002

  • thistleinn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 12:02 AM
      As Of 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time: May 05, 2002

      TOTAL - MEMBERSHIP: 312

      TOTAL - MESSAGES: 1367

      TOTAL - SURNAME ENTRIES IN DATABASES: 1155

      TOTAL - MEMBERS ACT OF KINDNESS CLUB VOLUNTEERS: 11

      I am happy to announce that after many months of planning and hard
      work, the STONEHAVEN HERITAGE SOCIETY in Stonehaven has now
      officially launched its very own Web Site. This is great news for
      anyone who has an interest in Stonehaven and its surrounding area.

      As this site is brand new, I am still a bit unsure as to some of the
      items that are listed on the site. IE: Membership requirements,
      Publication Delivery, etc. Because of this, I've already sent off the
      following questions to Gordon Ritchie in the hopes that he will help
      clarify them for us. Just in case you don't already know, Gordon
      Ritchie is the founder and Honorary Secretary of the Stonehaven
      Heritage Society. As I just sent him these questions yesterday, I am
      still waiting for his reply, but when it arrives I will be sure to
      post it on the Message Board so you can see his response.

      • Can people from overseas join the Society? I'm sure people,
      who like me, are truly interested in Stonehaven would love to join
      even if they cannot participate in the meetings etc. It would be one
      way of them showing support for the Society. If yes, perhaps you
      could charge a slightly higher membership fee and call it an "OVERSEAS
      MEMBERSHIP". That would cover the cost of mailing out the Stanhyve
      publication, etc. (I asked this question as the annual membership for
      the Society is only £5 and I don't think that would even help cover
      the cost of the STANHYVE Magazine and it's postage for delivery to
      Overseas Members)

      • Is it possible for OVERSEAS people to purchase publications
      from the site or is it only for people who live in the UK? If "YES"
      what would the shipping charges be?

      • Is the site going to have a links page, where sites such as
      STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY, STONEHAVEN ROOTS, NE SCOTLAND GENEALOGY, etc.
      can be displayed?

      • Are you going to have a Guest Book so that people who visit
      the site can leave their comments or wish you well?

      Later on today I will be posting a POLL asking the membership of
      STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY whether they would be interested in joining the
      STONEHAVEN HERITAGE SOCIETY. After the POLL is concluded in
      approximately two weeks, I will then pass the results on to Gordon
      Ritchie so that he could see just how many people from our Group are
      interested in becoming a Member, and whether that membership would be
      for people from the UK or Overseas. Membership to the Society is
      currently around 200, but with our support I think we could help this
      number jump dramatically. As I said above, even if we can't take part
      in the meetings that are held in Stonehaven, I think it would be a
      great way for us to show support for a Society that is totally
      dedicated to preserving the history and heritage of the town of
      Stonehaven and area.

      After you have looked at the Web Site, I would appreciate it also if
      you could post any comments or suggestions that you may have for the
      site on the STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY Message Board (other than what is
      listed above). I will then pass these comments on to Gordon so that
      he can see for himself exactly what we would like to see on the site.

      Please take a look today at this terrific new site and don't forget
      to add it to your Favourites list on your computer. "THANK YOU" and I
      look forward to reading your comments on the Message Board.

      STONEHAVEN HERITAGE SOCIETY
      http://www.stonehaven-heritage.org/home.htm

      --------------------------

      In the past couple of weeks, I've received a couple of emails from
      members informing me that some of the addresses listed on the various
      DATABASES on STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY and STONEHAVEN ROOTS are no longer
      valid. For this reason I ask that all members please visit these two
      sites ASAP and confirm that the email addresses listed besides their
      names are up to date. By doing so you will be ensuring that other
      members can get in touch with you if they are interested in the names
      you have listed. As I was the one who entered the majority of the
      info for members, I am unable to confirm if they are correct or not.
      If you find that an email address listed with your name is incorrect,
      please let me know immediately by contacting me at the following
      address:

      thistleinn@...

      I "THANK YOU" in advance for your help and understanding in this
      matter and I look forward to hearing from you.

      --------------------------

      MY WEEKLY REMINDERS:

      Have you done a complete scan of your computer for viruses lately? If
      not, now would be a good time to do one. And why not update your
      Antivirus Program while you're at it, to help ensure that you're not
      spreading any unwanted viruses to other members.

      Do you have any interesting stories, unsolved mysteries, or extracts
      from books or records that you would like to share with the members.
      Drop me a line with the details and I'll highlight them in an
      upcoming WEEKLY UPDATE.

      Visit the SURNAME lists today, to check out the new additions or to
      add some of your own to the list.

      If you have ancestors who came from Stonehaven, check out our other
      site, STONEHAVEN ROOTS, and see if they are listed. If they're not,
      just fill out the REQUEST FORM on the Site and I will add them ASAP:

      http://www.geocities.com/thistleinn/

      Will you be or have you changed your email address? Don't forget to
      update your membership, so that we don't loose touch.

      Are there too many emails coming your way from STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY?
      Then why not switch your email setting from Individual Emails to
      Daily Digest. This way you will only receive one email containing all
      of the messages from that day. If your not sure how, just let me know
      & I'll change your setting for you.

      That's all for this week folks! Goodbye until next time!

      CHEERS,

      Jim Allan, Moderator
      Victoria, B.C. CANADA
      thistleinn@...