Re: [Stonehaven_Genealogy] Gabert/Gabertstripes

  • dennis@collie123.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23, 2002
      Hi,

      I have just been to a family funeral, and took the opportunity
      to enquire of some family members who lived in the past at
      Auquhirie. The concensus of opinion was that The Gabert was the
      name of the croft and Gabertstripes was the hill behind it (some
      said because the fields were laid out in strips). I visited the
      area last year, as my grandparents ashes were scattered up there.
      There are still some remains of the house, especially the walls
      which had been reinforced with concrete at some point. It really
      is quite a pretty situation, with a small stream (little more than
      a ditch) which presumably provided fresh water, and a few trees
      surrounding the building.

      Regards,
      Dennis Collie
    • jimdylanuk
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2002
        Thank you for the information. Is this close to Cloch na Hill,
        as I know where this is, as I visited Chessars Croft (one of
        the locations my decendants lived). I believe that Gaberts,
        Gabertripes is close by.

        Thanks again
        Jim Caird