Re: [Stonehaven_Genealogy] Hart and Forrest surnames

  • davies2mof@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2002
      Shannon

      Cowie village is a gathering of fishermen's cottages and
      later buildings on the north side of Stonehaven Bay, between
      the old main road north and the sea. Mains of Cowie is a farm
      on the opposite side of the old main road, overlooking the
      village. National Grid ref NO 877868.

      Ian Davies
      1 4 2

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
        Hello all

        We have had partial success in searching for our Hart and
        Forrest connections around the Stonehaven area.

        Below are our Hart ancestors, residing at The Mains of Cowie
        at the time of the 1901 census.

        We are led to believe that some members of the Hart and Forrest
        families are buried in Stonehaven cemetery.

        John Hart married Amy Catherine Gait at Dunnottar 1891
        Gertrude Hart (below) married Douglas Dixon Forrest c1928. . . Where?

        HART JOHN 43 (Factor / Farmer / Employer) born Fifeshire, West Wemyss.
        HART AMY CATHERINE 34 born Somersetshire.
        HART HELEN AMY 8 born Fetteresso.
        HART JOHN GORDON 6 born Fetteresso.
        HART GERTRUDE 4 born Fetteresso.
        HART MARY 2 born Fetteresso.
        HART ROBERT ARTHUR 1 born Fetteresso.
        FRAZER ANNABELLE 19 (Nurse / Housemaid) born Huntly.

        Do any members have information regarding Captain John C Hart of the
        Highland Light Infantry? He was killed in WW1 and is commemorated on
        the Stonehaven War Memorial.

        Best regards. . .Shannon Jones
      • joacr2002
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
          The Commonealth War Graves Commission site:

          www.cwgc.org

          has the following on a J G Hart

          JOHN GORDON HART
          Captain
          7th Bn., Highland Light Infantry
          who died on Tuesday 28 August 1917 . Age 23 .

          Additional Information:

          Son of John and Amy Catherine Gait Hart, of Mains of Cowie,
          Stonehaven, Kincardineshire.
          Cemetery: JERUSALEM MEMORIAL Israel
          Grave or Reference Panel Number:
          Panel 44

          Seems a likely candidate but there were lots of other Harts

[...]

        • thistleinn
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
            Hello Shannon,

            May I suggest that you take a look at Stonehaven
            Genealogy Member, Colin Milnes fantastic Web Site,
            "NE SCOTLAND GENEALOGY" by clicking on the link below.
            He's done a fabulous job of collecting information
            on the Graveyards of Kincardineshire, Aberdeenshire
            and Aberdeen City. If you send him what you have on
            the ones you believe are buried in the Cemeteries
            in or around Stonehaven, maybe he'll be able to help
            you out or at the least lead you in the right direction.
            "GOOD LUCK" and keep us all updated.

            http://www.abdn66.freeserve.co.uk/graveyards/grkincd.htm

            CHEERS,

            Jim Allan, Moderator

[...]

          • dashglobal
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 18, 2002
              Hello all

              We have had much success with our research over the past
              week and a half,after obtaining the extracts for the
              marriage of John Hart and Amy Catherine Gait, details
              below:-

              25th August 1892 at St James Apiscopal Church Stonehaven.
              John Hart (34), Land Steward/Farmer, Cowie House, Fetteresso.
              Father - John Hart, Parish minister.
              Mother, Janet Hart (Mailer).

              Amy Catherine Gait (26), Spinster, Allardice Street, Stonehaven.
              Father - Jacob Gait, Surveyor and builder.
              Mother - Emma Gait (Southcott).

              Officiating minister - William Leslie Christie, Rector of St James.
              Witnessed by - Mary Ann Robertson, William Disney Innes.

              An amazing stroke of luck also found us the Gait family and
              associated lines in Somerset, already in Gedcom format.

              We also have an unrelated Christie family at the Old Toll House,
              Stonehaven, 1901 census, note the twins.

              James Christie 44 Cooper
              Marjory N 45
              Alexander 21 Railway Porter
              William 16 Tailors apprentice