Re: [Stonehaven_Genealogy] Business Information

  • silvercloud
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2002
      Hi Jim

      This may not be a lot of use to you but the Aberdeen Archives at Dunbar St.
      Old Aberdeen hold the valuation records for Kincardineshire and on those it
      usually gives you the tenents and owners of property. They do charge for
      research, pity I didn't know before I went to Aberdeen I was at the archives
      and it wouldn't have taken long to look for what you wanted. If you don't
      have any joy I will look the next time I visit the archives, but that may be
      quite some time.

      Best wishes Sylvia

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002

        E-mail them at:- archives@...

        http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/acc/archivists.htm

        > They do charge for research,

        Not for every item. Ask if there is a charge.
        They are very helpful!

        Best wishes

        Ian Watt
      • davies2mof@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 11, 2002
          Jim

          Information from Valuation Rolls in Stonehaven library;

          1913-14: Tavern, 13 Mary Street.
          Owned by George Alexander, shoemaker, of 60 Barclay Street.
          Tenant, Mrs Jessie Christie, vintner.

          The tavern is listed in among the properties Barclay Street.
          George Alexander also owned 2 houses and 2 shops between 56
          and 62 Barclay Street.

          1922-23: House, 13 Mary Street.
          Owned by William Davidson (Bootmaker), who lived at 60 Barclay
          Street. The tenant was Stonehaven District Agricultural
          Cooperative Association Ltd, blacksmiths.

          Hope this is helpful. The older valuation rolls are in Aberdeen.

          Ian Davies
          11 3 2

          I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where I might find information
          about who owned a particular business in Scotland during the 1800's
          and early to mid 1900's? For example, I know my Great Grandparents
          owned a pub in Stonehaven at 13 Mary Street called the THISTLE INN
          during this period, but I would like to find out when they started
          the Inn and how long they ran it. I suppose the Stonehaven Library
          may hold the records, but is there any where on the Internet where I
          can look it up? If anyone has a suggestion I would love to hear from
          them.

          CHEERS,

          Jim Allan
          thistleinn@...
        • thistleinn
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12, 2002
            Hi Ian,

            I knew there was a lot of great members out there, but this is beyond
            the call of duty. Not only do I now know how to find out more
            information about when someone owned a business, but I also have proof
            of it. This is great as I've always wondered just how long my family
            owned the Tavern, the THISTLE INN. I know they still owned it in 1917
            as I have photo's of them standing outside the Inn at that time and
            what you've found has shown that they were no longer there as of 1922.
            Now all I have to do is find out when they started the business and I
            can close the books on another mystery. I can't "Thank You" enough for
            all the trouble you've gone through for me Ian. GOOD JOB and I owe you
            one when I visit Stonehaven.

            I would also like to thank Ian Watt and Sylvia for passing on what
            they know as well. It's people like you who make Genealogy so much
            more fun.

            CHEERS,

            Jim Allan
            thistleinn@...