James Willam Gray

  • lsudoski
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
      Hello

      This is my first posting in this web site.I have been searching for
      my grandfather James William Gray born 1878 in Stonehaven.My parents
      were in Stonehaven in 1960's and found his birth record at the
      Registrars office called the Briars.My Mom has since passed away and
      my Dad doesn't remember the names of his father's parents.I do know
      that he (grandfather)had a brother Peter (who moved to New Zealand)
      and a sister Maggie also a half brother John who moved to Winnipeg
      Canada with my grandfather.

      I have tried another search with a fellow in Scotland but he was
      unable to find anything for me as yet.If anyone has any ideas or info
      for me it would be greatly appreciated.Thank you very much

      Lorrie Sudoski(nee Gray)
    • Grant Muckart
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
        Hi Lorrie,

        I am assuming you don't have your grandfather's birth certificate. That
        would list his parent's names. Start from what you know and build on that.
        You can use your grandfather's name and date of birth to search the
        Registrar's records. That will give you his birth cert. Once you have that
        you will have his parent's names and his father's profession. You will also
        get his mother's maiden surname, the date and place of their marriage and
        where he was born. You can then check the Valuation rolls for the address
        listed on the birth cert. and see if they live at that address for a number
        of years. You can also search for your grandfather's parent's marriage cert.
        once you know where and when to look for it. Their marriage cert. will give
        you their parent's surnames. You can look for your grandfather and his
        family on the 1881 census. Hope this helps.

        Grant Muckart

        Nairn
        Scotland

      • davies2mof@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2002
          Lorrie

          The registrar in Stonehaven is very approachable. I suggest that you write to
          her and see if she can help you herself. She is supposed to charge for such
          things, but maybe .....

          The address would be:

          The Registrar
          Aberdeenshire Council
          Viewmount
          Arduthie Road
          Stonehaven

          Ian Davies
          28 2 2

          This is my first posting in this web site.I have been searching for
          my grandfather James William Gray born 1878 in Stonehaven.My parents
          were in Stonehaven in 1960's and found his birth record at the
          Registrars office called the Briars.My Mom has since passed away and
          my Dad doesn't remember the names of his father's parents.I do know
          that he (grandfather)had a brother Peter (who moved to New Zealand)
          and a sister Maggie also a half brother John who moved to Winnipeg
          Canada with my grandfather.

          I have tried another search with a fellow in Scotland but he was
          unable to find anything for me as yet.If anyone has any ideas or info
          for me it would be greatly appreciated.Thank you very much

          Lorrie Sudoski(nee Gray)
        • lbwiggins
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2002
            Hi Lorrie,

            This is the only James Gray born c.1878 in Dunnottar Parish on the 1881 census
            index....he might be your fellow.

            Dwelling: Cairnton
            Census Place: Fordoun, Kincardine, Scotland
            Source: FHL Film 0203470 GRO Ref Volume 259 EnumDist 5 Page 4
            Marr Age Sex Birthplace
            Peter GRAY M 36 M Ctay (?), Orkney, Scotland
            Rel: Head
            Occ: Ag Labourer
            Margaret GRAY M 34 F Fetteresso, Kincardine, Scotland
            Rel: Wife
            Margaret GRAY 9 F Glenbervie, Kincardine, Scotland
            Rel: Daur
            Occ: Scholar
            Barbra M. GRAY 7 F Fetteresso, Kincardine, Scotland
            Rel: Daur
            Occ: Scholar
            James A. GRAY 4 M Dunottar, Kincardine, Scotland
            Rel: Son
            Occ: Scholar
            William GRAY 2 M Dunottar, Kincardine, Scotland
            Rel: Son

            Linda