      them on to me at my email address listed below and I will be
      sure to highlight them in one of my upcoming WEEKLY UPDATES.

      -----------

      Sunday, January 25, 2004

      Scientists have decided that a fossil found near Stonehaven is the
      remains of the oldest creature known to have lived on land.

      It is thought that the one-centimetre millipede which was prised out
      of a siltstone bed is 428 million years old.

      Experts at the National Museums of Scotland and Yale University, US,
      have studied the fossil for months.

      They say the specimen is the earliest evidence of a creature living
      on dry land, rather than in the sea.

      The discovery on the foreshore of Cowie Harbour was made by an
      amateur fossil hunter, Mike Newman.

      To recognise his role in the significant find, the new species -
      Pneumodesmus newmani - has been named after him.

      The Aberdeen bus driver, who lives in Kemnay, told the Sunday Herald
      newspaper: "I knew that the site had been re-aged, that it was older
      than originally thought, so I went down there.

      "I knew that any terrestrial-type things with legs found there could
      be early and important.

      "I had found millipedes there before, but this one had evidence of
      the holes that showed it actually breathed.

      "I'm interested in particular in fossil fish; I describe the fish in
      scientific journals, but things like this creature I pass on."

      He added: "Scotland has the best Palaeozoic - pre-Triassic, pre-
      dinosaur - sites in the world.

      SPIDERY ANIMALS

      "There are more sites in the small country of Scotland than the
      whole of the US and Russia put together.

      "It's a fantastic place for these very old invertebrates. Just
      think, the first air-breathing creature crawled out of the swamp at
      Stonehaven."

      The fossil is believed to be some 20 million years older than what
      had previously been thought of as the oldest breathing animal - a
      peculiar spider-like creature in Aberdeenshire.

      The millipede had spiracles, or primitive breathing structures on
      the outside of its body, making it the oldest air-breathing creature
      to have been discovered.

      The site near Stonehaven is well known in fossil collecting circles
      for its arthropods - animals with segmented bodies and jointed
      limbs - such as sea scorpions.

      MEMBERS ACT OF KINDNESS CLUB

      I'd like to announce that we have a new volunteer in the "MEMBERS
      ACT OF KINDNESS CLUB" this week. June Raw has come forward and has
      offered to help anyone who is researching the Surname CARDNO. Her
      family research names are CARDNO, BUCHAN, DUTHIE, BRUCE – mainly
      from Aberdeenshire (Cairnbulg, St Combs, Inverallochy, Fraserburgh)

      June also runs a site on Yahoo called Cardno Genealogy. This small
      but dedicated site was created on June 12, 2003 for the purpose of
      researching all branches of the Cardno family - originating mainly
      from the area of Aberdeenshire on the North East coast of Scotland.
      If you have a connection to the Cardno surname ( no matter how
      small ), I highly recommend that you check out this great site when
      you have time. All members of the public may log onto the site ~
      check out their home page and post messages ~ but if you wish to
      view photos, files etc or receive group messages and information
      updates then you must become a member. Their ultimate aim is to
      form an active, self help group where members may request or share
      information and make contact with other researchers of the Cardno
      family from around the world.

      CARDNO GENEALOGY
      http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/cardno

      I would like to personally "THANK" June for allowing her name to be
      added to the "MEMBERS ACT OF KINDNESS CLUB". If anyone else is
      willing to help out in any way with Census lookups, Photography,
      Research, Clan Information, etc., just drop me a line and I'll be
      more than happy to add your name to this very important Club.

      For those Members who have not visited this section of our site
      before, you can find the "MEMBERS ACT OF KINDNESS CLUB" by clicking
      on FILES located in the Index on the left hand side of the Home
      Page. Once inside of the "CLUB", you can simply choose what type of
      help you need and click on the volunteer's name to see what they
      offer and their contact information.

      POLL RESULTS

      Here are the final results from our latest POLL which concluded
      on January 30th. A total of 137 Members took part in this POLL
      and it shows just how varied our research experience really is,
      with 3 years to 5 years being the largest Group (27.01%) of
      those who took part in the POLL.

      The question was:
      How many years have you been researching your Family Lines?

      3 ----- 2.19% - 0 to 6 months
      7 ----- 5.11% - 6 months to 1 year
      20 --- 14.60% - 1 year to 3 years
      37 --- 27.01% - 3 years to 5 years
      22 --- 16.06% - 5 years to 10 years
      18 --- 13.14% - 10 years to 15 years
      8 ----- 5.84% - 15 years to 20 years
      8 ----- 5.84% - 20 years to 25 years
      9 ----- 6.57% - 25 years to 30 years
      5 ----- 3.65% - Over 30 years

      Later on today I will be starting a "NEW POLL" where I will
      be asking which COUNTIES of Scotland are your Ancestors from.
      I look forward to seeing the results of that POLL and if you
      any suggestions for future POLLS, please let me know as I
      would love to make this a regular feature of the Group and
      hold one POLL a month from now on. "THANKS"

      EMAIL PREFERENCES

      I would like to remind everyone once again of their options
      as far as Email Delivery from this Group goes. They are as
      follows:

      --- INDIVIDUAL MESSAGES:
      You will receive every Message that is posted on the
      Message Board, one at a time, as it is approved by me.

      --- DAILY DIGEST:
      You will receive every Message that is posted on the
      Message Board as above, but instead of receiving them
      one at a time, you will receive them all in one
      convenient email at the end of the day.

      --- SPECIAL NOTICES:
      If you choose this option, you will receive no regular
      emails from the Group, but you will receive my WEEKLY
      UPDATE, which I put out every Sunday as well as any
      Important Messages, such as Virus Warnings, Changes
      in Yahoo.com, etc.

      NOTE: No matter which option you choose from above, if you
      are a FULL MEMBER (one who has a YAHOO ID), you can also
      read the Messages from the Message Board anytime, by
      visiting the Home Page of STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY and clicking
      on MESSAGES located in the Index on the left hand side of
      the page.

      There is a fourth option available as well...NO EMAILS...but
      this option will only be approved in very special cases such
      as when a Member lets me know that they will be away for a
      certain amount of time, etc. and do not want their Inbox to
      become full while they are absent. The reason for this is
      that by having at least one email a week going out to each
      Member, it enables me to keep a better handle on any email
      addresses that are not being kept current and therefore no
      longer receive emails from any Member who wishes to contact
      them directly. If an email address is found to no longer
      accept emails from the Group or its Members (this is called
      a Bouncing Member by YAHOO) I will try for 20 days to contact
      the Bouncing Email address and if after the 20 days the email
      address is still not updated it will be automatically removed
      from the Membership List.

      If you would like to change your Email Preference and need
      help in doing so, please get in touch with me at my email
      address listed below and I will be more than happy to help.

      BACKLOG OF MESSAGES

      In order not to over run any ones email Inbox, I am currently
      only approving 10 Messages per day for the Stonehaven Message
      Board. As there are 67 Messages still waiting to be approved
      by me as of this Update, it will still take a few days before
      all of these ones will show up on the Site. If you have posted
      a message over the past week or so and are still waiting for it
      to show up on the Board, please be assured that it will
      eventually be posted. As some Members have already posted the
      same Message more than once, I would ask that anyone in the
      future please DO NOT resend your Message as this only confuses
      matters for me and slows down my approving of other Messages.
      ( and believe me, I don't need any help in getting confused )
      For those of you who have yet to Post a Message, please feel
      free to do so at anytime and I will get to them ASAP.

      I "THANK YOU" all for your patience and understanding in this
      matter and I look forward to reading each and every one of your
      messages in due course.

      CHEERS,
      Jim Allan, Moderator
      Victoria, B.C. CANADA