1422WEEKLY UPDATE – JUNE 02, 2002

  • thistleinn
    Jun 2, 2002
      As Of 12:00 a.m. Pacific Time: June 02, 2002

      TOTAL - MEMBERSHIP: 315

      TOTAL - MESSAGES: 1421

      TOTAL - SURNAME ENTRIES IN DATABASES: 1162

      TOTAL - MEMBERS ACT OF KINDNESS CLUB VOLUNTEERS: 11

      SCOTTISH DIALECT

      The Celtic dialect called Scots Gaelic, or Erse, was heard
      in many parts of the Scottish Highlands, especially in the
      Hebrides. Throughout most of the rest of Scotland, however,
      a Scottish dialect of English had been spoken almost as long
      as in England. This dialect, descendant of the Northumbrian
      dialect of Old English, was first known as Inglis and then,
      during the eighteenth century, as Scots.

      Educated Scots during this period strove to speak and to
      write Scots or English with equal fluency. Burns made his
      reputation writing Scots poetry, but he also wrote
      extensively using formal English diction. Boswell could
      easily fall into speaking Scots, but he worked diligently
      to eradicate "Scottisms" from his writing. Johnson was
      complementing Boswell when he called him the "most
      unScottified" Scot he had ever met.

      --------------------------

      For those of you who have an interest in or are thinking of making a
      trip to the Scottish Highlands this year, may I suggest that you take
      a look at the following Web Site which is the official on-line
      visitor guide to the Highlands of Scotland, put out by the Highlands
      of Scotland Tourist Board.

      http://www.host.co.uk/

      You may also request a copy of the 2002 holiday brochure for the
      Highlands of Scotland, by clicking on the following link:

      http://extranet.host.co.uk/brochure.asp

      --------------------------

      The following 9 Members are currently listed in my records
      as "Bouncing Members" of STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY. Please follow the
      instructions below to reactivate your account so that you will no
      longer show up as "Bouncing Members". If the following members are
      still showing up as "Bouncing Members" on Saturday, June 8th, their
      membership will be deleted from the Group. If you need help, please
      contact me directly at thistleinn@... "THANK YOU".

      YAHOO ID.........EMAIL ADDRESS

      scotsman48.......genealogy@...

      hcpquayle........hcpquayle@...

      heather2642......heather2642@...

      kathleententwo...kathleententwo@...

      pettie...........pettie2@...

      piajeb34.........piajeb34@...

      p_vassello.......p_vassello@...

      silverdale45.....silverdale45@...

      Not available....kd.robinson@...

      If group messages sent to your email address are returned to Yahoo!
      Groups as undeliverable ("bouncing"), your Yahoo! Groups account may
      be temporarily disabled.

      Messages can be returned for several reasons:

      •Your mailbox may be full -- try deleting messages from your Inbox.

      •Your ISP may have a backlog of email to process -- contact your ISP.

      •Your ISP may be blocking email from Yahoo! Groups -- contact your
      ISP.

      In many cases, Yahoo! Groups can automatically reactivate your
      account once the delivery problem is solved. However, in some cases
      you will need to manually reactivate your account:

      1.Visit your My Groups page.

      2.Look for a bounce alert near the top of the page.

      3.Click the Alert link to reactivate your account.

      Another reason for showing up as a Bouncing Member is that you have
      changed your email address, but haven't updated your records with
      your YAHOO ID. Please ensure that you always keep your records up to
      date so that you don't lose touch with the Group or are accidentally
      deleted from the Group.

      --------------------------

      MY WEEKLY REMINDERS:

      Have you done a complete scan of your computer for viruses lately? If
      not, now would be a good time to do one. And why not update your
      Antivirus Program while you're at it, to help ensure that you're not
      spreading any unwanted viruses to other members.

      Do you have any interesting stories, unsolved mysteries, or extracts
      from books or records that you would like to share with the members.
      Drop me a line with the details and I'll highlight them in an
      upcoming WEEKLY UPDATE.

      Visit the SURNAME lists today, to check out the new additions or to
      add some of your own to the list.

      If you have ancestors who came from Stonehaven, check out our other
      site, STONEHAVEN ROOTS, and see if they are listed. If they're not,
      just fill out the REQUEST FORM on the Site and I will add them ASAP:

      http://www.geocities.com/thistleinn/

      Will you be or have you changed your email address? Don't forget to
      update your membership, so that we don't loose touch.

      Are there too many emails coming your way from STONEHAVEN GENEALOGY?
      Then why not switch your email setting from Individual Emails to
      Daily Digest. This way you will only receive one email containing all
      of the messages from that day. If your not sure how, just let me know
      & I'll change your setting for you.

      That's all for this week folks! Goodbye until next time!

      CHEERS,

      Jim Allan, Moderator
      Victoria, B.C. CANADA
      thistleinn@...