FW: Ancient Bertiebowl uncovered

  • Stiof MacAmhalghaidh
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2002
      People,

      The following should be of interest... but did I not see a piece published
      in one fo the British archy journls in 1999 or 2000 on this, complete with a
      piccy of the enclosure? Or am I remembering a different enclosure?

      This, and the short discussion with Conor Newman on Morning Ireland, RTE
      Radio 1, this morning has me wondering of the Discovery Programme has a new
      publication on Tara on the way. Am I being utterly cynical (again)?

      From what I heard this morning I think it is the same enclosure, and what
      got me interested in it initially was the fact that it seems to touch the
      end of the 'Banqueting Hall' linear earthworks, which themselves reach down
      to the current roadway. The implication that the current roadway may
      actually have existed in some form when the linear earthworks were created
      is interesting in itself, but that they would reach to an enclosure dated to
      the neolithic makes the connection even more fascinating. I believe that the
      linear stuff is later - bronze or iron age (can't remember why I'd think
      that... maybe someone can suggest why?) but the questions must be asked. In
      any event, the current road should, I think, be at least considered in terms
      of how it might link this site with others in the area... The whole business
      of ancient roads is one that I've ignored in the past but I've come to see
      the potential value of them in reading an ancient landscape.

      Stiof