9FW: [MR] FW: [Announcements] Recent burglary at the SCA Corporateoffices

  • Jeanne
    Nov 28 11:42 PM

      -----Original Message-----
      From: atlantia-bounces@...
      [mailto:atlantia-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Janie
      Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:45 PM
      To: SCA-atlantia-marinus@yahoogroups.com; atlantia@...
      Subject: [MR] FW: [Announcements] Recent burglary at the SCA

      -----Original Message-----
      From: announcements-bounces@...
      [mailto:announcements-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Jason Williams
      Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:24 PM
      To: announcements@...
      Subject: [Announcements] Recent burglary at the SCA Corporate offices

      To: The Membership of the SCA, Inc.
      From: George Reed, Vice President of Operations
      SUBJ: Burglary at the SCA Corporate offices

      Sometime during the weekend of Thanksgiving, 2006 the SCA Corporate office
      suffered an illegal intrusion and burglary. This was part of a crime-spree
      that affected the entire office complex in which our facilities are located.
      Initial reports are that the intruders used a stolen master key obtained
      from the property manager and raided many of the suites in the complex.
      While the property loss sustained by the SCA was fairly minimal, two desktop
      workstations were taken, and the manner of their removal caused an
      interruption in the SCA 1-800 toll free number.

      Actions taken by our Vice President of Corporate Operations, Renee
      Signorotti, included changing the office locks by 10 am PST on Monday,
      replacing and re-configuring the missing machines, and ensuring any risk to
      the membership was ruled out. Our Chief Technology officer effected
      immediate password changes to electronic mail and SCA servers to ensure the
      minimal risk of exposure became zero risk. At no time did the perpetrators
      have access to any membership information, financial records, or credit card

      Because Renee's office procedure includes not saving local passwords and
      using proper levels of information security, there is no chance that the
      end-recipients of the stolen machines can retrieve any personal, financial,
      or business sensitive information. No critical business data existed on the
      stolen machines that were not part of the end of day back-ups prior to the

      I would like this letter to the membership to serve as confirmation that we
      did sustain an incident, but that the losses were minimal, full-service to
      the membership quickly restored, and no ongoing risk to your membership data
      or services remains. At the end of this letter is some questions and
      answers from our Chief Technology Officer, Scott Courtenay.

      I would like to take this opportunity to applaud and commend the excellent
      business practices, astute technology decisions, and swift responses of our
      Corporate Office and our Technology staff for making this incident an
      annoyance instead of a disaster.

      If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me for quick response
      at Seneschal@....

      Thank you,

      George L. Reed II
      VP Operations
      Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

      Q: Did they get access to the SCA servers?
      A: No. The computers in the home office had only limited access (such as
      personal email accounts) to the SCA servers, which are located in a secure
      data center. The passwords for all personal accounts of home office
      personnel were immediately changed to protect even this limited access. No
      one at the home office had access to the administrative password on our

      Q: I ordered a membership or something from the Stock Clerk recently. Did
      the thieves get my credit card number from these databases?
      A: No. For security reasons which should be very apparent, we don't store
      credit card numbers in our databases. When you process an order, the number
      is held just long enough to complete the transaction and then is "forgotten"
      by the system. It is never actually stored in the Stock Clerk or membership

      Q: I have a Known World Mail account. Were these compromised?
      A: No. They are on the servers in a secure data center, not at the corporate

      Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
      SCA Inc.
      Box 360789
      Milpitas, CA 95036

      You may also email comments@... or reply to this message.

      This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for
      Creative Anachronism , Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this
      announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing

      Announcements mailing list

      To change the email address you receive these messages at, visit the URL
      listed above, subscribe to with your new email address. Once this is
      completed, return to the URL listed above and unsubscribe your old email

      The Merry Rose Tavern at Cheapside
      List Info: http://merryrose.atlantia.sca.org/
      Submissions: Atlantia@...

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.