Re: [Stewart-DNA] Chestnut Creek Virginia Stewarts

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

      James,
      It is just as well that neither of us was depending on DNA matches to confirm a connection between your Blackwater River Virginia and my Chestnut Creek Stewarts. Your kit # 4874 and my 3214 match 11/12, 18/25, 23/37 and 44/67 not close at all. Can you trace your line any further back than prerevolutionary 1700 era?
      Bill

      Date: 2/28/2010 4:15:01 PM
      Subject: [Stewart-DNA] Chestnut Creek Virginia Stewarts

      James what is your kit # with FTDNA? My number is 3214 and the Chestnut Creek Stewarts fit all of our records for my line. You can also go to http://www.ysearch. org/ and compare my DNA values and family tree. Ysearch ID AEGC9.

      William Stewart
      Ames Iowa

    • James A. Stewart
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

        Bill, I can trace mine to Henrico county, VA to John Steward born 1638 probably England and was in Virginia by mid 17th century.  He is believed to be the son of Charles Steward headright of Christopher Branch. Branch owned lots of land around Proctor Creek in what is present day Chesterfield county, Virginia.

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

          James,
          Since my line is stone walled in early (1720+/-) Virginia I have looked for ways that they might have arrived (or sent) here. The time Jacobite uprisings don't seem right nor do the highland clearences. Our family's oral history was that they were Ireland for some time.

          Your John Steward how did he come to Virginia? Was the 'headright' system a part of the move?

          Bill
[...]

        • teresa stuart
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hi Bill,
            Teresa here, I am not james, but James and I have researched together for over 15 years.
            I always thought that perhaps your James Stewart Sr may have been the inmigrant, or he came from PA, DE etc. The reason why I think of PA, is because his sons wife said they were married in the Presbyterian Church, and she made some notation on james Jr´s Rev War pension, as do that would be the only church the would marry in. At least that´s the way I understood it.   There were some many Presbyterians that came to that part of VA from PA, NJ etc.  They came down the old Valley Road.  Maybe researching what Presbyterian Churches were in the area would help.  But, some time they had "traveling Ministers " also.
            Teresa

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

              Yes his line starting with Charles was brought over by (paid passage) Edward Osborne but Christopher Branch is listed as his Headright.  My John Steward was called "Glover" to distinguish him from another John Steward about the same age and in the same area. Glovers worked with leather making gloves, shoes, saddles etc.

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

                Also the Presbyterian required they have an ordained Minister. That's why a lot families switched to new religions after moving to the new areas. Mine switched from the Anglican church to Baptist and later Church of Christ. Now I'm speaking of my southern Stewarts.

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                  What happened back then was they abused the head right system. Edward Osbourne payed his passage and got 50 acres of land for every single soul it brought over. Edward then illegally sold his head right to Chris. Branch , and he got 50 acres, that´s probably what happened. They served 4-7 years,. before they had their freedom.  Going that far back in Henrico Co 1650´s or so, all records are just abput destroyed.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

[...]

                    There was a large Presbyterian community in Lunenburg CO VA from the 1740´s on, it was brought on by people from PA.  Lunenburg CO VA is a parent county of Franklin, Pittsylvania, Henry etc.  Also in Tinkling Springs in Augusta CO VA.   I know Pittsylvania had a large Baptist Community started by a man from Hanover CO, believe he was the Rev Samuel Harris.  During the Rev War folks got tired of the Church of England and paying tithes to the Glebe(parish), also it represented something most hated, The Crown (England), and again alll those taxes.  Many Angelicans became Baptist and Methodists.  Methodist were a bit later than the Baptist in VA.   Also many Quakers became Baptist.  I hve not heard too many stories though of folks becoming Presbyterian, you either were one or married one, most of the time.

                  • Olivia
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                      I noticed Procter Creek is this connected to the Proctor family

                      Olivia Jeanne Gordon-Stewart

                      http://capwiz.com/hdsa/utr/2/?a=14419511&i=93442561&c=

                       Huntintons Disease Society of America

                      www.hdsa.org
                      Help for today, Hope for tomorrow.

                      http://beta.myfamily.com/site/oliviajeanne47/public

[...]

                    • Allan Stewart

                      Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:31 PM

                      Hi Bill sorry but my line is the Blackwater group, some of them moved to Orange and Rowan co. Carolina. My Edward Stewart married Mary Ford and moved with her parents to Spartanburg, SC. His brother William and some cousins moved to the Blackwater River area of Bedford later Franklin county, VA.  My # is 4874

                      James what is your kit # with FTDNA? My number is 3214 and the Chestnut Creek Stewarts fit all of our records for my line. You can also go to

                      William Stewart
                      Ames Iowa

                    • Charles
                      Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2010
                        Dear cousin Allan!

                        Thank you for adding this to the forum. You and I have had some discussion over this "facet" of our connection and for those who do not know, I would like to expand on the Scots/Irish link that Allan speaks of.

                        As mentioned, the distance between Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland is visible on a clear day and the people on both shores connected simply by rowing across the short expanse of the Irish Sea.

                        There has always been a common link between the two countries (Gaelic in Scotland was originally Irish Gaelic until they created their own version) and their fight for religious freedoms was certainly a strong bond with each other. Add to this the persecution by the English at various times in their lives and you have a quite a `link`.

                        Many Scots who were unhappy at the way they were treated by their English (and Scottish) landowners. They were called `tenant farmers`and were duty bound to provide virtually all their crops, wool and livestock, plus money, to ensure their families could continue to live under the roof of a small house often called a ``Butt n`a Ben``. Often a husband, his wife and all their children would share a single room in which they ate and slept.
                        With minimal food supply, which usually consisted of dried oats mixed with cattle blood, the children often died within the first five years of their life, hence the large list of children born to each family (their names were often repeated as the elder child would die and the name was used again).

                        So when the opportunity came to move to Ireland from Scotland, many Scots simply moved. They abandoned their tenancy for the chance of a better life, however once there, they soon discovered that the Irish farming system and English influence was as bad, if not worse. As they could not return to Scotland, the only option left was for them to raise enough money to buy a ticket and sail to North America.

                        They also faced many barriers prior to sailing, including the English authorities who monitored who was leaving. If they could prove your were of Scots origin trying to leave via Ireland, they were a number of punishments that could be given to the head of household and his family. The father could still be sent to North America, but as an indentured servant (slave!), with a fixed sentence of between 5 and 15 years to work for an English landowner, until his sentence was completed and he was then free to begin his own life. He could be returned to Scotland and face penalties or jail, or sent to England and again to jail or forced into military service. As many of your know, once they were freed, they fought with the American militia against the English, to get them the hell our of America!!!

                        The Scots who did manage to leave Ireland often told the departing officials that they were Irish to avoid the aforementioned punishments and so records will often show `birth`or `country of origin` as Irish, but they were in fact Scots, who used Ireland as a first step to freedom.

                        This does not of course mean that all those named Stewart or Stuart were only Scots. Irish Steward`s became Irish Stewart's as the years progressed and I am certain that the boat trips across the Irish Sea were not just for a day trip to see the Blarney Stone! I personally feel that a lot of Scottish lads, met an equal number of Irish lassies and the end result is a fine blend of Irish temper and Scottish frugalism!

                        Alba go Bragh!

                        Charles.
                        Kit no.57979

                        Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:31 PM

                        Hi Bill sorry but my line is the Blackwater group, some of them moved to Orange and Rowan co. Carolina. My Edward Stewart married Mary Ford and moved with her parents to Spartanburg, SC. His brother William and some cousins moved to the Blackwater River area of Bedford later Franklin county, VA.  My # is 4874

                        James what is your kit # with FTDNA? My number is 3214 and the Chestnut Creek Stewarts fit all of our records for my line. You can also go to

                        William Stewart
                        Ames Iowa

                        Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!
                      • Hill-Stewart
                        Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2010

                          Hi

                          A lot of the Stewarts in Portavogie,kircubbin and ballyhalbert in Co Down also had family in Scotland as the fishing boats were like a ferry service from portavogie to Ardrossan in Ayr.I was born in Scotland and still have family in Co Down

                          Regards

                          Angus Stewart

                          Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:31 PM