Re: Additional DNA results 37/37 Update

  • revis_leonard
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
      Charles, what's the latest on the DNA testing of the 4 members of the aristocracy who tested? Maybe I missed the post. If I did, point me to the right message #. My husband, Tommy Leonard, continues to have many Stewart's in his matches at 25 markers. At 37 matches, he is still 35 out of 37 markers to his own brother and no other matches.

      Revis
    • replycs
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
        Hi Revis,

        Things have slowed to a snails pace, however I do know that my brother has been in touch with Lord Stuart of Adrvorlich for his yDNA sample and we are very hopeful for his cooperation.

        I contacted John Colum Crichton-Stuart, 7th Marquess of Bute (aka Johnnie Dumfries) who would not participate, but wished us well in our research!

        My cousin Donald in Lanarkshire, Scotland is now attempting to gain permission to view some ancient documentation (circa 1610) stored in Inveraray Castle, Argyllshire, Scotland which we believe will finally connect the missing pieces to this on going puzzle.

        I also have to thank Douglas Stewart Esq. who has a proven link to Robert II. Douglas has been working diligently with me to help in this regard for which I am eternally grateful.

        Regards,

        Charles.
      • teresa stuart
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 1, 2009
          Revis,
          Your name sound so familar, maybe Genforum, years ago and was it AL or MS? Your husband´s last name is Leonard and his DNA has matches with the Stewart surname at the 25 marker level?  Does he match any Stewart´s at the 37 marker level?  I ask because the surname LEONARD was in Patrick-Grayson-Carroll CO VA near my Stewart line and I think my Stewart´s intermarried with the Leonard´s in the 1800´s.
          Teresa

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
            Teresa, yes, I think we corresponded from GenForum years ago. George Stuart, part of the Stewart project, is my cousin from MS (he matches with the line of James Stewart and Mary Lafferty). And, yes, my husband, Tommy Leonard,and his brother have quite a few Stewart/Stuart matches at 25 markers (one being Charles on this board); but at 37 they match only each other and are off 2 markers.

            He was contacted by EthnoAncestry, a Scotland company, because he may have the new marker discovered a while back at Rb1 - S68. My understanding is that it is very rare. Just this morning we told them to send him the test kit so he can be part of the small research project.

            My next option for him is to get him (for Christmas) the Ancestry kit from 23andMe. I'm in the beta project for Relative Finders at 23andMe and I'm amazed at the cousin matches I have, which does include one 5th cousin who has Stewart's and Lafferty's in her lines also. I am hoping this may help us in his quest to determine who his gr-grandfather, Professor William Robert Leonard, of Ireland (came to the U.S. (Texas) ca. 1870) was.

            Revis
          • revis_leonard
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
              Charles, that is exciting and I hope some of these Stewart's will decide to participate.

              I responded to Teresa's question about my husband, who matches you I think 25 of 25 markers (or his brother does...they are off 2 markers to each other) that he had been contacted by EthnoAncestry to do further testing with regard to the S68 SNP which they think he may have. Seems it's a relatively new marker with nothing much known about it and very rare. It'll be interesting to see what develops out of this. And I'm also going to have him do the autosomal testing at 23andMe to see if we can determine anything on our elusive Professor William Robert Leonard (Ireland to US about 1870) line.

              Revis
            • teresa stuart
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
                Hi Revis,
                Yes, I knew we "knew" each other through George Stuart of MS.  George thought before he did his DNA test that he was from my VA Line.  George met my grandfather in the 1960´s, while selling books door to door in Wythe CO VA.  The reason why he "swore" we were related was because my grandfather had one toe that was fused together with another toe , I never knew this. Anyway, George told me this runs in his Stuart line.  After meeting my grandfather, he was so astounded at how he resembled his grandfather, that he asked my grandfather if he could please take off a shoe and sock!  It´s a small world.  PS we don´t match though.
                Teresa

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Teresa, George told me that story, but I didn't know it was your Grandfather he saw. Some of my mother's six brothers have the toes like that. Their mother was a Stuart. My gr-gr-grandfather, a brother to George's gr-gr(I think it would be), left MS and came to TX ca 1890 with his Yates and Musgrove in-laws. The MS and TX Stuart's visited back and forth from that time til now. One of the MS Stuart's would even occasionally walk/run to Fisher Co. TX (where I grew up) and back.

                  Revis
                • teresa stuart
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Revis,
                    Yep it was my grandfather, and he invited George in his house. George even met my Uncles.  It was a little bitty town called Speedwell, VA.  That´s why I was so surprised to hear he had met my grandfather.  I never knew about his toe, because I never saw his feet in my life, as he always wore shoes.
                    Teresa