67 marker results

  • Catherine Stewart
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
      Dear All,

      I have had 67 marker results back to try and get a handle on my ancestor, Robert Campbell Stewart - I have been unable to get him any further back than 1875 in Glasgow where he married his first wife. According to the results, the closest match I have with a genetic distance of -3 is with Malcolm Stewart, with whom I also share 37 marker match with genetic distance of -3, along with Charles McLeod Stuart, who has kindly tried to give me considerable help.

      At the risk of being impertinent, I would appeal to anyone who is thinking of having a 67 marker match done to do so. I was hoping for an exact match at some point to help me move back before 1875 - I was quite surprised that I have never had an exact match with 25, 37 or even 67 markers - though the fact that all 67 markers with a genetic distance of -5 are surnamed Stewart is reassuring, as most of the matches being with "Stewarts" does suggest that he really was a Stewart and not a "bloggs" who adopted the surname.

      Catherine Stewart

      Windows Live Messenger just got better. Find out more!
    • Allan M Stewart
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
        What is the name the DNA is listed under - presumably not Catherine.
        I am -1 from Charles MacLeod-Stuart at 37 markers, which I only discovered recently, when he upgraded.  Only other one I have that close is a known, documented relative.  Even with Charles, the highest probability of a common ancestor is 300-400 years ago - early 1600's, which is not unrealistic, since my Stewarts have been wandering around in the US since at least mid to early 1700's.
        My gedcom is at FamilyTreeDNA.  I've been meaning to upgrade to 67, so maybe this will prod me into it.
        Cheers!
        Allan
        -------------- Original message from Catherine Stewart <thecatswhiskers01@...>: --------------

[...]

      • Bruce Stewart
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
          Hi Alan, Catherine,

          at present the 67 marker is a great idea if you can afford it...I suspect in the next few years the data gap will close
          to having "groups" of Stewart family with common ancestors in Scotland etc....we are in a way almost there but
          closing the "Atlantic divide" will be challenging for some.

          Having the numbers may be all some will ever have in undertsanding their past....

          Cheers from down under.

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
            Dear Bruce:
            Good morning!  You're up and online bright and early!
            Are you close to me in DNA, or are you just DNA surfing?
            Visited Sydney & Melbourne many years ago.  Fantastic.  Wish I could have gotten out on the great barrier reef, but business is business.  For the most part.
            Cheers!
            Allan
            -------------- Original message from Bruce Stewart <bruce@...>: --------------

            ------------ -- Original message from Catherine Stewart <thecatswhiskers01@ hotmail.co. uk>: ------------ --

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
              Dear Catherine:
              Well, your impertinence has been rewarded.  I signed up for 67 markers.  I see that I'm three off with Robert P Stewart (your husband?) at 37 markers.  Very high probability (98%) of a connection if we go back 20 generations - about 400 years.  As noted in an earlier email, I don't think that's unreasonable, as I know my Stewarts have been here since at least the early 1700's.
              I trust you will forgive my impertinence for asking, but is there a marriage record in Glasgow for the 1875 wedding?  I have always assumed, perhaps for no good reason, that there were better records in the UK than here, and by 1875 most states over here would have information about parents and place of birth as part of the marriage record.