Re: [Stewart-DNA] Family Finder @ Family Tree DNA

  • Sherril Stewart
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2013
      We spent 99.00 at 23andMe for their family finder and genetic health information, and then spent 49.00 to transfer the results over to FamilyTreeDNA.

      Sherril

      From: <hawarlickc@...>
      Date: Monday, July 1, 2013 12:56 PM
      To: <Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [Stewart-DNA] Family Finder @ Family Tree DNA

      It has been helpful for me, I think it is worthwhile.

      In a message dated 7/1/2013 9:42:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, william_j_stuart@... writes:

      Anyone use and or recommend getting the family finder product at Family Tree DNA since they have a special on it? Is it worth a dang or a waste of money?

    • stewdna
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 5, 2013
        I have completed 3 Family Finder tests on my family lines.  They are more difficult to establish common ancestors, however, I have made been able to establish that two men of the same surname do have a common ancestor on my Bowers line.  This line has been very difficult to track and the new lead may be helpful in getting back another generation as it has given me a new geographical location to search for this family.  I believe that these two men were brothers or cousins.

        I also see a lot of surname matches, but haven't taken the time to research them all yet.

        I was very hesitant to invest in this type of testing, but now that I have I am pleased with it and am expanding my testing to more lines.

        But be prepared to do your homework on your paper trail.

        Kathi Bobb

        Paper Crafting
        Bobbkat's Hobby Blog

        www.bobbkat.blogspot.com
        http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat

        Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
        Family Tree DNA
        Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett

        In a message dated 7/1/2013 9:42:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, william_j_stuart@... writes:

        Anyone use and or recommend getting the family finder product at Family Tree DNA since they have a special on it? Is it worth a dang or a waste of money?

      • stewartj14
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 5, 2013
          Kathi,

          I'm confused as to why you did 3 different tests. Doesn't the Family Finder test check all your lines? Did you pay for tests for others you suspected were related but who hadn't been tested themselves?

          Jeff

          --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, bobbkat1@... wrote:

          > I have completed 3 Family Finder tests on my family lines. They are more
          > difficult to establish common ancestors, however, I have made been able to
          > establish that two men of the same surname do have a common ancestor on my
          > Bowers line. This line has been very difficult to track and the new lead
          > may be helpful in getting back another generation as it has given me a new
          > geographical location to search for this family. I believe that these two
          > men were brothers or cousins.
          >
          > I also see a lot of surname matches, but haven't taken the time to research
          > them all yet.
          >
          > I was very hesitant to invest in this type of testing, but now that I have
          > I am pleased with it and am expanding my testing to more lines.
          >
          > But be prepared to do your homework on your paper trail.
          >
          > Kathi Bobb
          >

          > Paper Crafting
          > Bobbkat's Hobby Blog
          > _www.bobbkat.blogspot.com_ (http://www.bobbkat.blogspot.com/)
          > _http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat_ (http://www.picturetrail/bobbkat.com)
          >
          > Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
          > Family Tree DNA
          > Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett
          >

          > In a message dated 7/1/2013 9:42:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          > william_j_stuart@... writes:
          >

          > Anyone use and or recommend getting the family finder product at Family
          > Tree DNA since they have a special on it? Is it worth a dang or a waste of
          > money?

        • Belinda Dettmann
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5, 2013
            Yes, Family Finder checks all your lines but it will not find them all.

            It finds some of the people you share genome segments with, but you don't
            share all your segments with all your relations so it cannot find all of
            them. For example a brother and sister share only half their genome
            segments. So on Family Finder you will only match about half of the people
            your brother (or sister) matches, and vice versa. But the ones he matches
            and you don't will still be your relatives as well as his. More distant
            relatives will match a wider variety of people with fewer apparently in
            common.

            So it is very useful to test lots of relations, as they will get a lot of
            different matches, who may well be related to all of you, but will not share
            recognisable segments with all of you.

            Belinda

            I'm confused as to why you did 3 different tests. Doesn't the Family Finder
            test check all your lines? Did you pay for tests for others you suspected
            were related but who hadn't been tested themselves?

            Jeff

            --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, bobbkat1@... wrote:

            > I have completed 3 Family Finder tests on my family lines. They are more

            > difficult to establish common ancestors, however, I have made been able
            > establish that two men of the same surname do have a common ancestor on
            my
            > Bowers line. This line has been very difficult to track and the new lead

            > may be helpful in getting back another generation as it has given me a new

            > geographical location to search for this family. I believe that these two

            > men were brothers or cousins.
            >
            > I also see a lot of surname matches, but haven't taken the time to
            research
            > them all yet.
            >
            > I was very hesitant to invest in this type of testing, but now that I have

            > I am pleased with it and am expanding my testing to more lines.
            >
            > But be prepared to do your homework on your paper trail.
            >
            > Kathi Bobb
            >

            > Paper Crafting
            > Bobbkat's Hobby Blog
            > _www.bobbkat.blogspot.com_ (http://www.bobbkat.blogspot.com/)
            > _http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat_
            (http://www.picturetrail/bobbkat.com)

            > Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
            > Family Tree DNA
            > Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett
            >

            > In a message dated 7/1/2013 9:42:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > william_j_stuart@... writes:
            >

            > Anyone use and or recommend getting the family finder product at Family
            > Tree DNA since they have a special on it? Is it worth a dang or a waste of

            > money?

          • stewdna
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 5, 2013
              Jeff,
              I didn't do a test on myself, but preferred to do one on my parents separately.  The other tests were on other people's lines that I am not a blood relative to.

              However, what Belinda is describing is also a consideration and a reason for testing more than one person in your bloodlines.

              In a message dated 7/5/2013 8:59:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, belindadettmann@... writes:

              Yes, Family Finder checks all your lines but it will not find them all.

              It finds some of the people you share genome segments with, but you don't
              share all your segments with all your relations so it cannot find all of
              them. For example a brother and sister share only half their genome
              segments. So on Family Finder you will only match about half of the people
              your brother (or sister) matches, and vice versa. But the ones he matches
              and you don't will still be your relatives as well as his. More distant
              relatives will match a wider variety of people with fewer apparently in
              common.

              So it is very useful to test lots of relations, as they will get a lot of
              different matches, who may well be related to all of you, but will not share
              recognisable segments with all of you.

              Belinda

              I'm confused as to why you did 3 different tests. Doesn't the Family Finder
              test check all your lines? Did you pay for tests for others you suspected
              were related but who hadn't been tested themselves?

              Jeff

              --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, bobbkat1@... wrote:

              > I have completed 3 Family Finder tests on my family lines. They are more

              > difficult to establish common ancestors, however, I have made been able
              > establish that two men of the same surname do have a common ancestor on
              my
              > Bowers line. This line has been very difficult to track and the new lead

              > may be helpful in getting back another generation as it has given me a new

              > geographical location to search for this family. I believe that these two

              > men were brothers or cousins.
              >
              > I also see a lot of surname matches, but haven't taken the time to
              research
              > them all yet.
              >
              > I was very hesitant to invest in this type of testing, but now that I have

              > I am pleased with it and am expanding my testing to more lines.
              >
              > But be prepared to do your homework on your paper trail.
              >
              > Kathi Bobb
              >

              > Paper Crafting
              > Bobbkat's Hobby Blog
              > _www.bobbkat.blogspot.com_ (http://www.bobbkat.blogspot.com/)
              > _http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat_
              (http://www.picturetrail/bobbkat.com)

              > Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
              > Family Tree DNA
              > Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett
              >

              > In a message dated 7/1/2013 9:42:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > william_j_stuart@... writes:
              >

              > Anyone use and or recommend getting the family finder product at Family
              > Tree DNA since they have a special on it? Is it worth a dang or a waste of

              > money?

            • Carol

                I'm confused as to why you did 3 different tests. Doesn't the Family Finder
                test check all your lines? Did you pay for tests for others you suspected
                were related but who hadn't been tested themselves?

                Jeff

                --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, bobbkat1@... wrote:

                > I have completed 3 Family Finder tests on my family lines. They are more

                > difficult to establish common ancestors, however, I have made been able
                > establish that two men of the same surname do have a common ancestor on
                my
                > Bowers line. This line has been very difficult to track and the new lead

                > may be helpful in getting back another generation as it has given me a new

                > geographical location to search for this family. I believe that these two

                > men were brothers or cousins.
                >
                > I also see a lot of surname matches, but haven't taken the time to
                research
                > them all yet.
                >
                > I was very hesitant to invest in this type of testing, but now that I have

                > I am pleased with it and am expanding my testing to more lines.
                >
                > But be prepared to do your homework on your paper trail.
                >
                > Kathi Bobb
                >

                > Paper Crafting
                > Bobbkat's Hobby Blog
                > _www.bobbkat.blogspot.com_ (http://www.bobbkat.blogspot.com/)
                > _http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat_
                (http://www.picturetrail/bobbkat.com)

                > Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
                > Family Tree DNA
                > Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett
                >

                > In a message dated 7/1/2013 9:42:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > william_j_stuart@... writes:
                >

                > Anyone use and or recommend getting the family finder product at Family
                > Tree DNA since they have a special on it? Is it worth a dang or a waste of

                > money?

              • stewdna
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 5, 2013
                  Hello Carol,

                  My Stewart line is on ancestry.com.  I am paulinestewart51  My trees are all public.

                  The Searcy line is on the Graham tree.  I tend to start trees for each surname...kind of silly I know.

                  Searcy, Graham and Stewart are all in North Carolina and TN.

                  My Stewart line is also at Martygrant.com.  Marty is a cousin of mine.

                  In a message dated 7/5/2013 11:02:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mcdanell1357@... writes:

> [...]

                  > them all yet.
                  >
                  > I was very hesitant to invest in this type of testing, but now that I have

                  > I am pleased with it and am expanding my testing to more lines.
                  >
                  > But be prepared to do your homework on your paper trail.
                  >
                  > Kathi Bobb
                  >

                  > Paper Crafting
                  > Bobbkat's Hobby Blog
                  > _www.bobbkat.blogspot.com_ (http://www.bobbkat.blogspot.com/)
                  > _http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat_
                  (http://www.picturetrail/bobbkat.com)

                  > Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
                  > Family Tree DNA
                  > Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett
                  >

                  > In a message dated 7/1/2013 9:42:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > william_j_stuart@... writes:
                  >

                  > Anyone use and or recommend getting the family finder product at Family
                  > Tree DNA since they have a special on it? Is it worth a dang or a waste of

                • Carol

                    I'm confused as to why you did 3 different tests. Doesn't the Family Finder
                    test check all your lines? Did you pay for tests for others you suspected
                    were related but who hadn't been tested themselves?

                    Jeff

                    --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, bobbkat1@... wrote:

                    > I have completed 3 Family Finder tests on my family lines. They are more

                    > difficult to establish common ancestors, however, I have made been able
                    > establish that two men of the same surname do have a common ancestor on
                    my
                    > Bowers line. This line has been very difficult to track and the new lead

                    > may be helpful in getting back another generation as it has given me a new

                    > geographical location to search for this family. I believe that these two

                    > men were brothers or cousins.
                    >
                    > I also see a lot of surname matches, but haven't taken the time to
                    research
                    > them all yet.
                    >
                    > I was very hesitant to invest in this type of testing, but now that I have

                    > I am pleased with it and am expanding my testing to more lines.
                    >
                    > But be prepared to do your homework on your paper trail.
                    >
                    > Kathi Bobb
                    >

                    > Paper Crafting
                    > Bobbkat's Hobby Blog
                    > _www.bobbkat.blogspot.com_ (http://www.bobbkat.blogspot.com/)
                    > _http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat_
                    (http://www.picturetrail/bobbkat.com)

                    > Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
                    > Family Tree DNA
                    > Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett
                    >

                    > In a message dated 7/1/2013 9:42:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > william_j_stuart@... writes:
                    >

                    > Anyone use and or recommend getting the family finder product at Family
                    > Tree DNA since they have a special on it? Is it worth a dang or a waste of

                    > money?

                  • stewartj14
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6, 2013
                      If I'm not mistaken, there may be some connection between the Searcy's and one of the 3 Stewart lines I've come across in Lawrence County, TN. It wasn't the line that I'd been primarily looking at, but it was either the line of Lazerus Stewart or the line of Alexander and Duncan Stewart.

                      I'll check the records I received from the Lawrence County archives and let you know if I find anything.

                      Jeff

                      --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, Carol <mcdanell1357@...> wrote:

                      > I have just recently become interested in the Searcy family. I believe they came from N. C. I'll do some searching.
                      >
                      > Carol
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPad
                      >
                      > On Jul 5, 2013, at 11:13 PM, bobbkat1@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hello Carol,
                      > >
                      > > My Stewart line is on ancestry.com. I am paulinestewart51 My trees are all public.
                      > >
                      > > The Searcy line is on the Graham tree. I tend to start trees for each surname...kind of silly I know.
                      > >
                      > > Searcy, Graham and Stewart are all in North Carolina and TN.
                      > >
                      > > My Stewart line is also at Martygrant.com. Marty is a cousin of mine.
                      > >
                      > > Kathi Bobb
                      > >

                      > > Paper Crafting
                      > > Bobbkat's Hobby Blog
                      > > www.bobbkat.blogspot.com
                      > > http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat
                      > >
                      > > Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
                      > > Family Tree DNA
                      > > Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett
                      > >
                      > > In a message dated 7/5/2013 11:02:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mcdanell1357@... writes:
                      > >
                      > > I have Stewart and Searcy in my line. My Family Tree DNA is Kit #202857. Some of family tree is on Ancestry.com. My closest family lived in Kentucky. Would like to compare.
                      > >
                      > > Carol
                      > >
                      > > Sent from my iPad
                      > >
                      > > On Jul 5, 2013, at 9:03 PM, bobbkat1@... wrote:
                      > >

                      > >> Jeff,
                      > >> I didn't do a test on myself, but preferred to do one on my parents separately. The other tests were on other people's lines that I am not a blood relative to.
                      > >>
                      > >> However, what Belinda is describing is also a consideration and a reason for testing more than one person in your bloodlines.
                      > >>
                      > >> Kathi Bobb
                      > >>

                      > >> Paper Crafting
                      > >> Bobbkat's Hobby Blog
                      > >> www.bobbkat.blogspot.com
                      > >> http://www.picturetrail.com/bobbkat
                      > >>
                      > >> Volunteer DNA Surname Project Manager
                      > >> Family Tree DNA
                      > >> Surnames: Bobb, Graham, Self, Covel, Stewart, Searcy, Brackett
                      > >>
                      > >> In a message dated 7/5/2013 8:59:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, belindadettmann@... writes:
                      > >>
                      > >> Yes, Family Finder checks all your lines but it will not find them all.
                      > >>
                      > >> It finds some of the people you share genome segments with, but you don't
                      > >> share all your segments with all your relations so it cannot find all of
                      > >> them. For example a brother and sister share only half their genome
                      > >> segments. So on Family Finder you will only match about half of the people
                      > >> your brother (or sister) matches, and vice versa. But the ones he matches
                      > >> and you don't will still be your relatives as well as his. More distant
                      > >> relatives will match a wider variety of people with fewer apparently in
                      > >> common.
                      > >>
                      > >> So it is very useful to test lots of relations, as they will get a lot of
                      > >> different matches, who may well be related to all of you, but will not share
                      > >> recognisable segments with all of you.
                      > >>
                      > >> Belinda

                    • Preston Myers
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 6, 2013
                        Jeff,

                        My line comes from Lazarus Stewart.  I have information from my maternal grandmother back to Lazarus but Lazarus seems to be a brick wall.  My line is with William Pemberton Stewart.  I am genetically connected to John Wilson's mother based upon our Autosomal DNA from 23&Me raw data uploaded to GEDmatch.  John is a regular participant with this group.

                        Preston

> [...]

                        > >> In a message dated 7/5/2013 8:59:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, belindadettmann@... writes:
                        > >>
                        > >> Yes, Family Finder checks all your lines but it will not find them all.
                        > >>
                        > >> It finds some of the people you share genome segments with, but you don't
                        > >> share all your segments with all your relations so it cannot find all of
                        > >> them. For example a brother and sister share only half their genome
                        > >> segments. So on Family Finder you will only match about half of the people
                        > >> your brother (or sister) matches, and vice versa. But the ones he matches
                        > >> and you don't will still be your relatives as well as his. More distant
                        > >> relatives will match a wider variety of people with fewer apparently in
                        > >> common.
                        > >>
                        > >> So it is very useful to test lots of relations, as they will get a lot of
                        > >> different matches, who may well be related to all of you, but will not share

                      • john wilson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 7, 2013
                          Preston and Jeff,

                          If I can help let me know. I have done quite a lot of research on the Stewarts and my autosomal connections..... John

                          To: Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com
                          From: lihhnl@...
                          Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 13:57:47 -0700
                          Subject: Re: [Stewart-DNA] Re: Family Finder @ Family Tree DNA