Flemish in Scotland DNA Project

  • Belinda
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
      Many Scots are descended from Flemish emigrés who settled in Scotland over a 600 year period between the 11th and 17th centuries. Some shed their continental sounding names to take on the name Fleming or its variants. Others took on different names that give little clue as to their country or region of origin. One of those names was Stewart.

      Now there is a new 'Flemish in Scotland' DNA Project at Family Tree DNA to study this group of Scots:
      http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Flemish_in_Scotland

      It is being run in association with 'Scotland and the Flemish People', a four-year research project led by a team at the Institute for Historical Research at the University of St. Andrews. Details are at :

      http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/flemish

      Interested participants can enter a surname of interest and up to five variants on the website and also provide brief genealogical data on the family of interest.

      Belinda
    • George Stuart
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2013
        Belinda,
        I joined the study.
        My Stuart family in Neshoba County, MS had a Fleming family as neighbors who
        intermarried into my Stuarts.
        I do not know that any of them have submitted to the FTDNA study but I will
        ask at the family reunion next Sunday.
        George Stuart