Re: Digest 455 Still Waiting

  • Lisa Polk
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
      In regards to "Still Waiting" posts ...

      Recently helping out a cousin with her dna results, I would like to put forth an observation.

      Her results are thru ancestry.com testing ... mine are thru Family Tree DNA (link posted in previous posts).  I'm new to dna, so this is my opinion of the comparrassion of the two.
      The FTDNA test gives you more DYS results to work with, there are more informational posts found on the web, more FTDNA groups you can join, and the final thing is that ancestry.com results do not transfer to FTDNA.

      I'm not promoting FTDNA altho it does look that way, this is just my observation of the two testing programs.
      Lisa

    • Les Stewart
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
        Lisa, what you listed about FTDNA and Ancestry.com are the reason people that do a little research choose to use FTDNA. From my observation the majority of people that use Ancestry.com have used them to build a family tree and have been inundated with spam and embedded adds for advanced services from Ancestry.com including their ydna service. It sounds so easy! A mouth swab and in no time at all you are given all the info you need to trace your ancestors to the "Garden of Eden"! Well, I exaggerate a little nut the ads do make it sound that way. They do not research ydna testing because they know nothing about it and the ads sound so good. After getting their results they do not know what to do with them so that is when they start educating themselves and end up here or other websites finding out that they bought something that isn't what they were expecting.

        In my opinion Ancestry.com had a pretty good product but have become greedy and tried to get into FTDNA's "goldmine" with out making the investment needed to provide a product of equal value. There are some other companies doing the same basic thing with better results and with out the slick advertising.

        Les

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
          FTDNA will also facilitate transfering your results to ySearch, widening the comparison databases.

          Anyone still considering getting tested, FTDNA has a year-end sale on now.

          --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Polk <lpolk008c@...> wrote:

          > In regards to "Still Waiting" posts ...
          >
          > Recently helping out a cousin with her dna results, I would like to put forth an observation.
          >
          > Her results are thru ancestry.com testing ... mine are thru Family Tree DNA (link posted in previous posts).  I'm new to dna, so this is my opinion of the comparrassion of the two.
          > The FTDNA test gives you more DYS results to work with, there are more informational posts found on the web, more FTDNA groups you can join, and the final thing is that ancestry.com results do not transfer to FTDNA.
          >
          > I'm not promoting FTDNA altho it does look that way, this is just my observation of the two testing programs.
          > Lisa

        • janet millen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2013
            I initially tested with ancestry (4 Y-DNA & 2 MTDNa tests).  When I found out sbt FTDna, I waited until there was a specail to transfer my ancestry results & did so.  I have done some additional markers for one of my Y-DDNA tests & will soon do some others (maybe when I get back from the National Genealogy Society conference (8- 11 May 2013, Las Vegas Nevada).  I found another cousin (Goode) and ONLY had hime tested with FTDNA.

            I am also planning to do thwe sutosomal fro my sister, brother & also for me.

            FTDNA has GREAT sells!!!  So many of the surname project managers will only accept test resuklts from certian Testers -- FamilyTree DNA is one that ALL seem to accept.
            SO SAVE yourself $$$$$  if you are wanting to be in surname projects & test with FtDNA!!

            Janet