Re: My Stewart Surname DNA appeal so far - Kit 40333

  • wstewrt@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2012

      Dear Catherine Stewart,

      I thank you for all the work you have done on your Stewart ancestry, especially given the hardships that you have endured.

      Your last post to this forum seems to have been in May, 2012. I hope you are still well.

      I am expecially interested in the test results of the men that you mentioned in your message below (Malcolm, Robert and Gordon) and how successful you were in finding a Stewart cousin. Descendants of the High Stewards of Scotland are a small minority of the men who have a version of the surname Stewart.

      I think I learned via this hour long but very interesting video (which begins with a commercial) that via advertisements FTDNA President Greenspan found someone that has his surname that lives in the village from which his ancestors came. Unfortunately that man would not allow a sample of his DNA to be tested.

      In one of your posts you asked whether or not any of your Stewart ancestors were kings or aristocrats. According to this hour long but very interesting video, full genome testing of the Y-chromosome may eventually help the descendants of the High Stewards of Scotland to know exactly how they are related to each other.

      If you descended from the junior (Darnley) branch of the House of Stewart like the ducal descendants of King Charles Stuart II of England your test results would probably show that you have DYS464=14-16-17-17 instead of DYS464=14-15-17-17. People who do not descend from the Darnley branch may also have DYS464=14-16-17-17.

      All descendants of the High Stewards of Scotland have aristocratic ancestors. That does not mean that they are aristocrats. A few generations of poverty usually robs a family of most of the spiritual, etc. qualities that make one an aristocrat unfortunately.

      Sincerely, Stewart