Ancient Stewart

  • jim855@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2012
      Hello-

      I am new to the group and recently had the YDNA-67 test done. I have the following questions:

      (1) I have only 4 exact matches with other Stewarts at 12/12 markers. One of these Stewarts is in "R1b Group Type 21: Subgroup of the Ancient Stewarts (DYS481=23)" and I am classified in "R1b Subclade : R1b1a2 (M-269): Unassigned" group with DYS481 = 21. Does it then follow that I'm also related to the Ancient Stewarts?

      (2) What is the genealogical significance or relatedness, if any, of all the many other listings of exact matches at 12/12 markers with non-Stewart surnames?

      (3) Related to (2), what is the genealogical significance or relatedness, if any, of my exact match at 12/12 markers with Rob Roy MacGregor listed in the Stewart DNA Project - YDNA Chart where many MacGregors changed to other surnames during the 1600s-1700s due to persecution?

      (3) I have only one 25 marker match with 2 steps GD with another Stewart. Would a Stewart match at 25 markers with 2 steps of genetic distance indicate closer relatedness than a Stewart match at 12 markers with 1 step of genetic distance?

      I apologize if these questions have been asked before. Thanks

      Jim Stewart
    • Belinda Dettmann
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2012
        Hi Jim

        I see that you have now tested to 67 markers, but you have no matches of any
        sort at that level. You have some rare marker values, and that implies that
        you probably belong to a rare subset of the R1b haplogroup. That in turn
        means that you may belong to a family group in which no other members have
        yet been tested. It could be a Stewart family, or any other surname -
        there's no telling which, at this stage.

        The fact that you do have exact matches at 12, 25 and 37 markers, just means
        that you are a member of the R1b haplogroup which is the commonest group in
        Western Europe. Your most recent common ancestor with any of those matches
        probably dates back to the days before surnames were adopted, ie before
        about 1200AAD. Matches at low levels with Stewarts or a McGregor is unlikely
        to be significant, as nearly all of them have been tested to 37 or 67
        markers, yet they don't match you ate that level.

        Belinda