books on DNA

  • Mike Stewart
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
      Hello dear cousins,

      I ran across the following titles and wondered if anyone had feedback on either or both. I appreciate your recomendations or better still, if you already boiled it down, your summary, which would save me a considerable amount of time and a few dollars.

      Oppenheimer S (2006) The Origins of the British - A Genetic
      Detective Story, Constable and Robinson, London (ISBN 1-
      84529-158-1). Published in the U.S. by Carroll and Graf,
      New York.

      Sykes B (2006) Blood of the Isles: Exploring The Genetic
      Roots of Our Tribal History. Bantam Books. Published in the
      U.S. as Saxons, Vikings, and Celts: The Genetic Roots of
      Britain and Ireland, by W. W. Norton, New York.

      Sláinte

      Michael T. Stewart, P.E.

      FTDNA 128499
      ISOGG R1b1b2a1a2f* or FTDNA R1b1b2a1b5 (L21) & U5a1b1

      "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu" ~ Remember those from whom you are descended
    • Les Stewart
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
        This might help:http://www.jogg.info/32/campbell.htm

        or this: http://www.jogg.info/32/campbell.htm

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
          good find, Les!

          Sláinte

          Michael T. Stewart, P.E.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2011
            Ah, ha! Good find, Les!

            --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, Les Stewart <oldfatnbroke@...> wrote:

            > This might help:http://www.jogg.info/32/campbell.htm
            >
            > or this: http://www.jogg.info/32/campbell.htm

          • BRUCE STEWART
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2011
              Both of these books are available on amazon.com.

              Peace
              BRUCE STEWART
              On Jul 6, 2011, at 8:18 PM, Mike Stewart wrote:

              Ah, ha! Good find, Les!

              --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, Les Stewart <oldfatnbroke@...> wrote:

              > This might help:http://www.jogg.info/32/campbell.htm
              >
              > or this: http://www.jogg.info/32/campbell.htm

            • Allan M Stewart
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2011
                Thanks very much for that link.  I read Bryan Sykes' book, Saxons, Vikings and Celts, and while it was thoroughly interesting, I was more than a little surprised that it gave no genetic information at all to let you compare your own dna to whatever the types are that he puts into "clans" (Oisin, Wodan, Sigurd, Eshu, Re, and Other), or even more broadly, what dna characteristics separate Vikings, Celts and Saxons, for example.
                The link to the Campbell website was also interesting reading, but a little beyond my technical understanding.  The links provided are (probably unintentionally) the same, and both therefore bring you to the same summary done by Kevin Campbell of Oppenheimer's bookk.  In that article, he says he had already reviewed Sykes' work in the previous issue, so I substituted 31 for 32 in the url, and it worked - you will go to his review of Sykes.
                I don't know if I would understand whatever is there, but both of these articles say that the data underlying Sykes' work is available at www.bloodoftheisles.net.  Every time I try that, I go to a website which is apparently trying to sell that url.  No data.  If anyone knows where that data actually resides, I'd still be interested in seeing how my (and our) dna compares to the groups Bryan has identified.
                Cheers!
                Allan