DNA FTDNA kit 194150

  • Chad Stewart
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 12, 2011

      Here is my line of DNA. As you can see it matches up perfectly with the Charles Stewart/Hannah Kirk Line of Stewarts. I am also seeing matches with those claiming Charles Stewart and Mary Proctor of Spotsylvania Co. VA ca. 1690 (birth)

      Kit 194150

      http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Stewart/default.aspx?section=yresults

      Chad Stewart

    • DSTEWART
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 14, 2011
        Hi Chad,

        Joyce Stewart is your perfect match, which represents Stewarts in NC.  The Mary Proctor connection is another perfect match, but we've been unable to align Joyce's line and Olivia's line.

        My kit is 22933 which is generally unlabeled as to name.  In reality, Joyce and I are, based on family tradition, linked via her Joseph Stewart and my Charles Stewart.  My known ancestor is Solomon B. Stewart, a son of Charles Stewart.  I can trace from my dad through G and GG and to GGG -dad Solomon Stewart - all well know and confirmed by family history and family Bible, wills, etc.  I have no CONFIRMED connection of my Solomon to his dad Charles.

        Joyce's family history, as well as family history of another descendant of the Joseph line, as well as documentation/letters of descendants of yet another bother of Joseph and Charles:  George Stewart, all generally confirm my Solomon as part of this lineage.

        Later on, after we had already linked up via family histories, DNA confirmed Joyce's husband and I matched - one off.  Not a surprise, but a bit of a disapointment that we didn't have a perfect match.

        Nevertheless, the actual sticking point is tracing back Joyce's and my family history into Virginia, where my Solomon's Charles's daddy ("Charles Senior") was to have come from.  We have the info via family history, but it dies at that point.  Olivia's info points to a Benjamin Stewart in the same area in VA, and we are certain there is a link, but we have no solid proof.

        It would be helpful if you shared your linkages and exactly where.  We also have one person who is adopted but is a perfect match with Joyce and Olivia, and me (one off).

        And so it goes... there's more....

        Please feel free to contact me at mypetitecaline@... and nussloch@...

        Dick Stewart
        Heidelberg, Germany

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 14, 2011

          Dick,

          Thanks so much for your reply. As always it is much appreciated. I have uploaded our results and pedigree to ftdna.com, Ysearch.org and ancestory.com’s DNA database. Here is my line dating back to Charles Stewart and Hannah Kirk

          Charles STEWART-1295 is the 5th great-grandfather of Chad Brett STEWART-1.

                             Lines of Descent from Charles STEWART

                                                          Charles STEWART b. abt 1728

          George STEWART b.1768

                                                         George STEWART b.1796

                                                      George Rufus STEWART b.1827

                                                       John Virgil STEWART b.1870

                                                      Sidney Richard STEWART b.1913

                                                        John Richard STEWART

                                                        Chad Brett STEWART

          I was able to get to know the gentleman who was adopted as he contacted us through ftdna. Very fine person. (Clearly has Stewart blood J) I’m not sure how reliable the statistics are with DNA as far as the matrix showing the percent chance of a shared ancestor going back x number of generations

          Generations

          Percentage

          4

          56.46%

          8

          87.40%

          12

          96.84%

          16

          99.26%

          20

          99.83%

          24

          99.96%

          28

          99.99%

          But we are getting close to that 8th and 9th generation where we might find some clues the more people we can get to test and upload their pedigrees. It would be great to find an exact or 1 off match from a Stewart on the other side of the pond to research from that direction. If I can be of help, please let me know, I’m young and have flight benefits. I’m not allowed to exhume any graves in the name of genealogy however J.

          All the best,

          Chad Stewart

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 15, 2011
            Dick,

            Olivia is a perfect match for Joyce, but have you seen Olivia's documentation? Is there a paper trail leading her to the Spotsylvania family? I've only seen one that leads to the Spotsylvania family, and I know who did the research. Only trouble is the family will not be tested. Until a paper trail is made, can you really say that Olivia is of the Spotsylvania line?

            Cheryl
            --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, "DSTEWART" <nussloch@...> wrote:

            > Hi Chad,
            >
            > Joyce Stewart is your perfect match, which represents Stewarts in NC. The Mary Proctor connection is another perfect match, but we've been unable to align Joyce's line and Olivia's line.
            >
            > My kit is 22933 which is generally unlabeled as to name. In reality, Joyce and I are, based on family tradition, linked via her Joseph Stewart and my Charles Stewart. My known ancestor is Solomon B. Stewart, a son of Charles Stewart. I can trace from my dad through G and GG and to GGG -dad Solomon Stewart - all well know and confirmed by family history and family Bible, wills, etc. I have no CONFIRMED connection of my Solomon to his dad Charles.
            >
            > Joyce's family history, as well as family history of another descendant of the Joseph line, as well as documentation/letters of descendants of yet another bother of Joseph and Charles: George Stewart, all generally confirm my Solomon as part of this lineage.
            >
            > Later on, after we had already linked up via family histories, DNA confirmed Joyce's husband and I matched - one off. Not a surprise, but a bit of a disapointment that we didn't have a perfect match.
            >
            > Nevertheless, the actual sticking point is tracing back Joyce's and my family history into Virginia, where my Solomon's Charles's daddy ("Charles Senior") was to have come from. We have the info via family history, but it dies at that point. Olivia's info points to a Benjamin Stewart in the same area in VA, and we are certain there is a link, but we have no solid proof.
            >
            > It would be helpful if you shared your linkages and exactly where. We also have one person who is adopted but is a perfect match with Joyce and Olivia, and me (one off).
            >
            > And so it goes... there's more....
            >
            > Please feel free to contact me at mypetitecaline@... and nussloch@...
            >
            > Dick Stewart
            > Heidelberg, Germany

          • Chad Stewart
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 15, 2011

              Curious what we know about the early Stewarts that first emigrated to Virginia.  If this is old news, please ‘enlighten’ me. http://olivercromwell.com/familytreestewards2.html

              I’m interested in knowing what info we have with regards to Andrew Steward of Surry, Co. VA in 1656.

              Chad Stewart

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 15, 2011
                Chad my line (at least the VA. Line) descends from Charles Steward of Henrico county, Virginia. This line is said to be from Nothamptonshire, England. I have taken the YDNA test 67 marker and have matched others from this line. I think you can rule your line out of being from this group or you would have matched me from DNA test.

                Thanks.......James Stewart

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 15, 2011
                  Chad many of those Early Stewards/Stewarts etc (Except the Henrico CO VA line), probably died very early on or left for other colonies.  I see the first Stewarts in Surry CO VA (below the james River and South of Williamsburg) ca 1660´s.  Some there may have been Quakers(Quaker records for Surry CO VA not longer exist) and some moved to Old Albemarle CO NC nd Old Bertie CO NC.  One Stewart line in Surry Co in the late 1600´s, were allied with a Washington family.  Problem with going back to records before the 1670´s is that most are missing or destroyed.  If there were Stewart´s in the 1650´s in the Northern Neck of VA I would have already found them.  The onés I know of were there more like 1675.
                  Teresa

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 15, 2011
                    Chad,
                    About Surry CO VA. I would have found any Stewart/Steward etc there because my Mom´s family who are not Stewart´s settled in that county by 1645. I always keep a look out for the Stewart surname. There was a William Steward there in the 1680´s that moved to Old Abemarle CO NC and was listed as a Quaker, his was was Elizabeth and Willia, did leave a will in NC. Another was a John Stewart, who died(ca1701) and left 2 children, 2 girls and a son named John.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 19, 2011
                      Hi Chad,
                      Somehow your email came out with a lot of lines.
                      Not sure why.

                      OK, I sense we have the George, Joseph, and Charles Stewarts, sons of Charles/1728 Stewart.  Would be interesting to get the fourth line, non?

                      Flight benefits?  What did you have in mind?

                      Cheers,

                      Dick Stewart

                      Thanks so much for your reply. As always it is much appreciated. I have uploaded our results and pedigree to ftdna.com, Ysearch.org and ancestory.com’s DNA database. Here is my line dating back to Charles Stewart and Hannah Kirk

                      Charles STEWART-1295 is the 5th great-grandfather of Chad Brett STEWART-1.

                                         Lines of Descent from Charles STEWART

                                                                      Charles STEWART b. abt 1728        &nbs p;

                      George STEWART b.1768

                                                                     George STEWART b.1796

                                                                  George Rufus STEWART b.1827

                          ;                                          John Virgil STEWART b.1870

                                                                  Sidney Richard STEWART b.1913

                                                                 &nbs p;  John Richard STEWART

                                                                    Chad Brett STEWART

                      I was able to get to know the gentleman who was adopted as he contacted us through ftdna. Very fine person. (Clearly has Stewart blood J) I’m not sure how reliable the statistics are with DNA as far as the matrix showing the percent chance of a shared ancestor going back x number of generations

                      Generations

                      Percentage

                      4

                      56.46%

                      8

                      87.40%

                      12

                      96.84%

                      16

                      99.26%

                      20< o>

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 19, 2011
                        Cheryl

                        Right you are.  Olivia and I have been on a similar path of discussion.
                        I think neither I nor Joyce can fully agree with her complete composite, but generally I agree that she can trace to VA (and KY) whatever.  It';s been over two years since we've rehuddled so my memory is failing at the moment.  Spotsylvania might also be the wrong term to use.

                        I think the most MOST important thing for me at the moment is to know that her hubby matches Joyce one for one, and me one off.  Generally, it doesn't get any closer than that.  However, I would have thought that she would have a clear trace to one of the 4 sons of Charles Stewart/1728.  However, as a correspondent and I have discussed years ago, there is every likelyhood that there were more than the four sons, and particularly, probably a dau or two.

                        Having said that, some of it, not all, comes down to: who is the Benjamin in Spotsyvlvania in her line?  Who is the Charles there in the area who appears to know Spotswood?  Humes?  other?  Who were the Stewart tobacco inspectors?

                        The Charles Stewart / Mary Proctor thing is very strong and self evident.  The connect to the Stewart/Kirk thing is not.  The family tradition espoused by the historical male and female biddies that Stewart worked for Spotsford/Spotswood makes it all very interesting.

                        Just to muck it up a bit, and I don't have any proof, I wouldn't be surprised if they all came to VA from PA.  I also have this need to explore  the Stewart - Kirk - Ellis relationships.  I even have a vague and remost suspicion the Stewarts and Ellis's (how's this for a wild one) went down to South Carolinaon a sloop belonging possibly to the Ellis's, with presumably one or more Kirk's in tow.

                        Just FYI, if you didn't know, I can only trace strongly to my Solomon, and not to his dad Charles.  Other lines, particularly the LDS/George Jr Stewart line seems to support the Solomon - George 'connaissance' (presumably as cousins), and some Hill documents seem to confirm the relationships, and so forth.  I also have one vague reference by Solomon's daugther (Julia) to "Uncle" which pretty much presupposes "Uncle" is a brother of Solomon or Solomon's wife Sarah/Sally in the area (Kemper, Leake, or other county in Mississippi) or in the region (Mississippi, Alabama).  I have always defaulted in favor of it being a brother of Solomon.  The closests candidates for brother to Solomon are the children of Charles Stewart / Elizabeth Clements/Clemons.  I say all of this simply to echo the thoughts of one correspondent in NC, of the Joseph Stewart line, who said to me:  "Dick, how can you be suspecting of such a strong family tradition, in this case the Joseph Stewart line, which points strongly to everything that has evolved thus far, and the descendants who still live in Harnett County area just take is for granted since they and their ancestors lived there the whole time."

                        I told him I'd like a little extra confirmation sometime and not just famly tradition.  However, family tradition, as shakey as it can be, can be very very confirming.  My aunt, when I challenged a couple of things she related to me, said, Richard, I just know it.  It was story'ed by my mother, who had access to the Rufus Stewart family Bible, and to stories from Rufus and Ann Stewart and her granfather Morgan Stewart, and so forth.  Most of the things she told me are turning out to be true.  I fixed her wagon once!  Found that Solomon's daughter Czarina was married twice and she swore it coulnd't be true.  It was via an Alabama document whereby her brother Rufus deeded a slave over to her while she was still married to her first husband James L.G. Akin.

                        In general, family tradition on the Charles/Hannah line, downward, hasn't been challenged with any proving success thus far.  Family tradition on the line, upward, is routinely challenged, and for good reason.  There just isn't any composite picture that holds water.

                        Finally, I believe Olivia has been relying way too much on other biddies on the web and not doing hard core due diligence in the various court houses that would seem to play, across KY and into VA.

                        On the other hand, Joyce has been doing this for a long time, with a lot of other associates who are no longer with us, and has also come up empty.  My hope is that Olivia might help in the process of elimination of other possibilities.

                        Thoughts?

                        Regards from a sunny Heidelberg,

                        Dick Stewart

                        Olivia is a perfect match for Joyce, but have you seen Olivia's documentation? Is there a paper trail leading her to the Spotsylvania family? I've only seen one that leads to the Spotsylvania family, and I know who did the research. Only trouble is the family will not be tested. Until a paper trail is made, can you really say that Olivia is of the Spotsylvania line?

                        Cheryl
                        --- In Stewart-DNA@yahoogroups.com, "DSTEWART" <nussloch@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Chad,
                        >
                        > Joyce Stewart is your perfect match, which represents Stewarts in NC. The Mary Proctor connection is another perfect match, but we've been unable to align Joyce's line and Olivia's line.
                        >
                        > My kit is 22933 which is generally unlabeled as to name. In reality, Joyce and I are, based on family tradition, linked via her Joseph Stewart and my Charles Stewart. My known ancestor is Solomon B. Stewart, a son of Charles Stewart. I can trace from my dad through G and GG and to GGG -dad Solomon Stewart - all well know and confirmed by family history and family Bible, wills, etc. I have no CONFIRMED connection of my Solomon to his dad Charles.
                        >
                        > Joyce's family history, as well as family history of another descendant of the Joseph line, as well as documentation/letters of descendants of yet another bother of Joseph and Charles: George Stewart, all generally confirm my Solomon as part of this lineage.
                        >
                        > Later on, after we had already linked up via family histories, DNA confirmed Joyce's husband and I matched - one off. Not a surprise, but a bit of a disapointment that we didn't have a perfect match.
                        >
                        > Nevertheless, the actual sticking point is tracing back Joyce's and my family history into Virginia, where my Solomon's Charles's daddy ("Charles Senior") was to have come from. We have the info via family history, but it dies at that point. Olivia's info points to a Benjamin Stewart in the same area in VA, and we are certain there is a link, but we have no solid proof.
                        >
                        > It would be helpful if you shared your linkages and exactly where. We also have one person who is adopted but is a perfect match with Joyce and Olivia, and me (one off).
                        >
                        > And so it goes... there's more....
                        >
                        > Please feel free to contact me at mypetitecaline@... and nussloch@...
                        >
                        > Dick Stewart
                        > Heidelberg, Germany

                      • Chad Stewart
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 19, 2011

                          Dick,

                          Not positive about the lines through the wording in that email. It appears fine on the yahoogroups.com thread.

                          As far as flight benefits, if we find any leads that warrant a personal visit, it would be something I could probably schedule if it makes sense for research. We probably have plenty of hands on deck in Virginia, nonetheless I’ll be there on business at the end of this month. Not sure how much free time I’ll have this trip but I’m always willing to help. It would be great to find a match deeper in the line originating in the UK/Ireland. Are there any Stewart Organizations in that area of the world that the Stewart DNA project is actively recruiting as new donors?

                          As always, I’m eager to help were needed.

                          All the best,

                          Chad Stewart

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 19, 2011
                            Dick,
                            One question at a time, if I can answer them.

                            First:

                            'Having said that, some of it, not all, comes down to: who is the Benjamin in Spotsyvlvania in her line? Who is the Charles there in the area who appears to know Spotswood? Humes? other? Who were the Stewart tobacco inspectors?'

                            Where has Benjamin been proven in Olivia's line? Only from what I can see is that one Jacob Stewart has been proven. I thought normally, that family at that time period named some of their children after some of the parent's parent. I have found no Benjamin in Olivia's line.
                            The Charles in the area who appears to know Spotswood...probably Benjamin and William's Stewart's father, as the same person who knows the Humes. At that time period, how many Steward's were in that area?
                            The Stewart Tobacco inspector..Probably a different Stewart family. I've only found one, how many have you found?

                            Second:

                            "The Charles Stewart / Mary Proctor thing is very strong and self evident. The connect to the Stewart/Kirk thing is not. The family tradition espoused by the historical male and female biddies that Stewart worked for Spotsford/Spotswood makes it all very interesting"

                            I'm glad you have family tradition's to go by. I have found a lot of mine have been "a bit" over told, added to and just something to make the family feel better about themselves. I wish I could go on family traditions, but, from past experience I can not. I'm not so sure the tradition you are stating is self evident.

                            I also, as Joyce, have been doing research for a long time, over 30 years now, of course, probably as Joyce, there were raising children in the process during that time.

                            My Stewart's/Stuart's also, there is no paper trail leading back to VA., only the word of his youngest son, my 3rd great grandfather. But, in Ky., the families living next to and also moving with, to Missouri, were all from the same area of Va. Next door neighbors, marrying into my Stewart family. What other evidence do I have? Just a paper trail leading from the arrival time in Ky., to Missouri to today. The arrival time in Ky., was 1791, at least according to tax records. The first known son was born in 1795 in Ky. The first daughter married in Ky., was in 1801.

                            I believe that Olivia's husband's ancestor, who did the Stewart research, took for granted that Jacob who was in Woodford Co., Ky., in the 1810 census was her Jacob. There has been no proof to that fact.
                            Jacob was a fairly common name during that time period.

                            And why, I may ask, didn't the Stewart's name some of their children something that we could trace them easier with? (no answer necessary)

                          • CBStewart
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
                              All,

                              I'm not positive if I've replied to this post with my Link Back to Charles Stewart/Hannah Kirk

                              This is all confirmed via Diaries, census, etc. George Rufus Stewart was a well documented Mormon Emigrant.

                              1. J. Stewart (Father)
                              2. Sidney Richard Stewart (G)
                              3. John Virgil Stewart (GG)
                              4. George Rufus Stewart (GGG)
                              5. George Stewart
                              32. George Stewart
                              64. Charles Stewart/Hannah Kirk

                              I'm kit 194150

                              The DNA matches at a perfect 0 variance on the Markers to the Benjamin Stewart Son of Charles Stewart and Mary Proctor (Procter) line. Although I haven't verified the accuracy of this line the DNA show's a perfect match at 37 markers.

                              One of my matches on ySearch has the parents of Charles Stewart (m. Mary Proctor) as John Stewart and Sarah Arnold. I'm curious if any of you have verified any paper trail linking Charles Stewart (m. Hannah Kirk) to Charles Stewart and Mary Proctor and consequentially to John Stewart and Sarah Arnold. Also I understand we are getting some "Traction" in Scotland and Ireland. I'm anxiously waiting for the DNA fishing reel to catch a lead.

                              Chad Stewart