Best way to back up and reload SDM memory cards

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hello

      I have two sets of 2GB SD cards with SDM loaded onto them. Sadly I've managed to bugger up one (right) card already. Not sure how - maybe trying to work /shoot to quickly.

      On the PC what is the best way to back up and reload SDM memory cards when they get screwed up?

      Guessing making an ISO image of them and then copy over the defective one? Will it still boot/work and if so what freeware windows app would I use.

      I can do this on the mac, but won't it need a PC?

      Cheers

    • microfunguy
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        Mark wrote:

        >what is the best way to back up and reload SDM memory cards

        Just keep a copy of DISKBOOT.BIN and the CHDK folder (with all its subfolders).

        Remember, file CHDK.CFG will be slightly different for left and right folders.

        You could save them with temporary '_L' and '_R' suffixes.

        Reformat a new card and make bootable with sdminst.exe.

        Copy DISKBOOT.BIN and CHDK folder to the card.

        David
      • wbloos@yahoo.de
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
          > make bootable with sdminst.exe.

          well, Mark does not have a PC - does sdminst.exe work on a MAC too?

          Werner

          microfunguy schrieb:
          > Mark wrote:
          >

          >> what is the best way to back up and reload SDM memory cards
          >>

          > Just keep a copy of DISKBOOT.BIN and the CHDK folder (with all its subfolders).
          >
          > Remember, file CHDK.CFG will be slightly different for left and right folders.
          >
          > You could save them with temporary '_L' and '_R' suffixes.
          >
          > Reformat a new card and make bootable with sdminst.exe.
          >
          > Copy DISKBOOT.BIN and CHDK folder to the card.
          >

          > David

        • Jan Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
            I don't know the exact command for MAC,
            but he could try something like this:

            Backup:
            sudo dd if=/card of=/home/me/cardbackup.img

            Mount:
            sudo mount -o loop /home/me/cardbackup.img /home/me/backup

            Unmount:
            sudo umount /home/me/backup

            Jan

            http://www.DIY-streetview.org