SPM Problem

  • Dan Jacob
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
      I'm not sure whether this is the proper forum for SPM problems, but I don't know of any other.
      My right camera is rotated right and my left camera is rotated left (A590's).
      I used Photoshop to rotate my pictures automatically using actions.
      When I import the pictures into SPM they are in their original orientation as taken.
      I have to manually rotate each one in SPM before processing.
      With my other graphics programs the pictures are right side up.
      Is there a work-around for this phenomenon?

      Dan
    • wbloos@yahoo.de
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hello Dan,

        you do not need any additional program to do rotation - you can do this
        on SPM - before opening any pictures click on 'Open Image file list' on
        the toolbar or in the file menu. This looks like the windows explorer -
        you may also open another instance of this (hit [I]) now you have two
        windows open - one for the left view one for the right view - it will
        display only pictures - now browse to your left or right pictures,
        select all and right click on the selected files - chooes your rotation
        from this menu - this will add the correct orientation to the exif
        informations of the files - it will not do any rotation yet. Here you
        also may rename all files so left and right files have identical
        filenames. After completing this steps close the file list and open your
        left/right images - SPM will automatically rotate the pictures on
        program since SPM does the rotation internal AFTER decoding the picture.

        greetings
        Werner

        Dan Jacob schrieb:
        > I'm not sure whether this is the proper forum for SPM problems, but I don't know of any other.
        > My right camera is rotated right and my left camera is rotated left (A590's).
        > I used Photoshop to rotate my pictures automatically using actions.
        > When I import the pictures into SPM they are in their original orientation as taken.
        > I have to manually rotate each one in SPM before processing.
        > With my other graphics programs the pictures are right side up.
        > Is there a work-around for this phenomenon?
        >
        > Dan

      • JoseCarlos Fernandez Gutierrez
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
          Apart form SPM there are several applications that you can use to lossless rotate your jpep files based on the exif orientation information recorded by your camera.

          You can find a detailed list in this link.

          My personal preference is Downloader Pro (actually I run it on linux/wine) that can download, rename and rotate the files automatically, but there are other free applications that can do similar work.

          In SPM batch processing you can say the orientation of the files for each camera, so you do not have to pre-rotate them. Anyway I always rotate the files in advance as it is much easier to handle them in several programs.

          /Carlos

          On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Dan Jacob <djacob7@...> wrote:

          I'm not sure whether this is the proper forum for SPM problems, but I don't know of any other.
          My right camera is rotated right and my left camera is rotated left (A590's).
          I used Photoshop to rotate my pictures automatically using actions.
          When I import the pictures into SPM they are in their original orientation as taken.
          I have to manually rotate each one in SPM before processing.
          With my other graphics programs the pictures are right side up.
          Is there a work-around for this phenomenon?

          Dan

        • Spaceman
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
            In SPM open an image file list ( file/open image file list) and select the photos you want to rotate. Assuming that you sort by folders, select all the photos from the right camera. Then right click on the photos and set the orientation to the correct direction. Do the same with the photos from the left camera. Now when you open the photos in SPM they will be rotated to the right position. An added bonus is that SPM will remember the folders when you start opening pairs for alignment or do a multi conversion.

            Spaceman

            Dan Jacob wrote:
            I'm not sure whether this is the proper forum for SPM problems, but I don't know of any other.
            My right camera is rotated right and my left camera is rotated left (A590's).
            I used Photoshop to rotate my pictures automatically using actions.
            When I import the pictures into SPM they are in their original orientation as taken.
            I have to manually rotate each one in SPM before processing.
            With my other graphics programs the pictures are right side up.
            Is there a work-around for this phenomenon?

            Dan

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:StereoDataMaker-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:StereoDataMaker-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Dan Jacob

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
                Hi Dan,

                Others have already answered the question. I'm only going to comment that I think SPM questions, while of interest to SDM users, might better be posted to the more general Photo-3D group. The answers would be of interest to all of that group, too.

                Best, David Starkman

                --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Jacob" <djacob7@...> wrote:

                > I'm not sure whether this is the proper forum for SPM problems, but I don't know of any other.
                > My right camera is rotated right and my left camera is rotated left (A590's).
                > I used Photoshop to rotate my pictures automatically using actions.
                > When I import the pictures into SPM they are in their original orientation as taken.
                > I have to manually rotate each one in SPM before processing.
                > With my other graphics programs the pictures are right side up.
                > Is there a work-around for this phenomenon?
                >
                > Dan

              • Craig
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
                  Actually this group is also for the discussion of any of Masuji's programs.

                  .

                  --
                  Craig Gardner
                  StereoData Maker Group Owner

                  Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.
                  Art is knowing which ones to keep.
                   Scott Adams
                  I want a muse to drive me crazy, sanity is overrated.
                  Jack Douglas
                  Some day your entire life will pass before your eyes.
                  Make sure it's worth watching.

                • michael przewrocki
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2009
                    My right camera is rotated right and my left camera is rotated left (A590's).
                    > Dan
                    if you do this both menues are upside down when shooting side by side.
                    if you do this and use zbar right cam has menue upside down.
                    sorry if i am too late did not yet read further.
                    my zbar(werners) is holding two a590is. right cam not rotated, left cam upside down(rotated 180°). anyhow interesting thread since i am just starting uploading my images for the first time. first shot made in february..
                    michael przewrocki
                  • Dan Jacob
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2009
                      The normal Canon menu is rotated 90 degrees on my cams. The SDM menus can be set to be right side up for me, but then they are too narrow and not all the text fits sometimes. So I let the SDM menus be rotated 90 degrees to get the whole width of the text.

                      --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "michael przewrocki" <europanorama@...> wrote:

                      > My right camera is rotated right and my left camera is rotated left (A590's).
                      > > Dan
                      > if you do this both menues are upside down when shooting side by side.
                      > if you do this and use zbar right cam has menue upside down.
                      > sorry if i am too late did not yet read further.
                      > my zbar(werners) is holding two a590is. right cam not rotated, left cam upside down(rotated 180°). anyhow interesting thread since i am just starting uploading my images for the first time. first shot made in february..
                      > michael przewrocki

                    • michael przewrocki
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2009
                        --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Jacob" <djacob7@...> wrote:

                        > The normal Canon menu is rotated 90 degrees on my cams. The SDM menus can be set to be right side up for me, but then they are too narrow and not all the text fits sometimes. So I let the SDM menus be rotated 90 degrees to get the whole width of the text.

                        so you are referring to your vertical-rig, right? good idea to rotate by 90 degr., since in the next days i will get back my vertical-rig, ready for tripod-mounting and shooting at artbasel-next week.
                        btw: pls read the readme of werners. i do not have it by heart but there are instructions how to setup different rigs. would be nice to add instructions for rightcam-menue upside down(180 degr. left-cam:normal if you want cameras to turn clockwise 90 degr. to read menue.
                        michael przewrocki