Re: Canon SDK and SDM?

  • vfxdoctor
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
      I just tried RemoteCapture with my PowerShot S230, and it worked.
      But, I just tried RemoteCapture with my TX1, and it did not work.
      (Though, I'm not sure if I'm using the latest version of RemoteCapture.)

      So, maybe RemoteCapture *is* based on the Canon SDK ?

      That was disheartening.

      -- Brian
    • David Sykes
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
        Brian wrote:

        > That was disheartening.

        Unless we can get this to work :-

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qxL5cKUrrA&eurl=http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,1568.new.html

        The author hints that it is a bit sluggish.

        David
      • Ken Burgess
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
          I have been in touch with the Author, the program is using CHDK, he
          graciously pointed me to the source files (kbd.c), and has even
          offered to help (but he's pretty busy too). What he's doing is just
          what I'm suggesting, a "new" command based protocol for multi-
          function control using SDM (which is based on CHDK).

          The "normal" USB remote control functions defined by Canon's SDK are
          not supported by the TX1. (why not?) I tried all the "commercial"
          remote control software on them and of course nothing worked. Even if
          it did support the SDK functions, from my brief study of it I think
          the control available would not be sufficient. I think building a new
          protocol as we have discussed has the best chance of working.

          Ken

          --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "David Sykes"
          <killspammers2@...> wrote:

          > Brian wrote:
          >
          > > That was disheartening.
          >
          > Unless we can get this to work :-
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?
          v=9qxL5cKUrrA&eurl=http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,1568.new
          .html

          > The author hints that it is a bit sluggish.
          >

          > David

        • David Sykes
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
            Ken Burgesswrote:

            > he graciously pointed me to the source files (kbd.c)

            That applies to about ten generic cameras.

            You would put similar code in \platform\tx1\kbd.c.

            > has even offered to help

            On the CHDK forum he stated that he did not intend to develop it further.

            > but he's pretty busy too

            Of course .......

            > I think building a new protocol as we have discussed has the best
            > chance of working.

            I wish you luck, it will be interesting to see any preliminary results.

            David
          • vfxdoctor
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
              I'm curious, too, as to why the TX1 isn't
              supporting the 'normal' protocol of the Canon SDK.
              I'm wondering if Canon intends to offer a
              firmware upgrade to the TX1 at some point to add
              support for the 'normal' protocol.

              I really like the fact that the 'normal' protocol
              supports a live digital video feed from the camera over
              the USB cable. Before real-life interrupted me, I
              was trying to combine the digital live feeds from two cameras
              into a live stereo pair (anaglyph or field sequential).
              That was using just PowerShot S230 (still) cameras.

              The response times of the 'normal' protocol, also
              seem much faster than the protocol seen on the
              CHDK serial protocol YouTube spot. It'd be
              nice to have synchronized zoom. I'm into 3D video.
              The TX1 has a lot of great possibilities for 3D video.
              The lack of a synchronized slow push-in (slow zoom)
              has been the one artistic speed bump.

              I just got my Y-cable. (YEAH!!!) So, I'm just hooking
              up my TX1 pair, now. They seem to turn off recording
              after just a few seconds of recording. So, I'm still
              on the beginner's learning curve.

              SDM currently offers synchronized trigger and zoom,
              which is VERY cool !!! God, SDM is such a cool tool!
              Thanks, to everyone who worked on this!! Awesome!

              As a thought, non-sync'ed parameter matching could
              probably be accomplished through PTP. That is,
              a controller could load all the parameters into
              a file. Then, pass the file to both cameras over PTP
              (USB file protocol). SDM would only need a signal
              to auto-load the file when it arrives on the camera's SD card.
              The parameter transfer file could even be in the pre-existing
              configuration (.cfg) file format, so no new code would
              need to be written. (Just an incomplete thought.)

              It's a hack, but that might be the minimum amount of work
              to accomplish matching parameters on both cameras.

              -- Brian
            • Simon Taylor
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
                On 01/06/2008, vfxdoctor <brianrg@...> wrote:
                > The response times of the 'normal' protocol, also
                > seem much faster than the protocol seen on the
                > CHDK serial protocol YouTube spot. It'd be
                > nice to have synchronized zoom. I'm into 3D video.
                > The TX1 has a lot of great possibilities for 3D video.
                > The lack of a synchronized slow push-in (slow zoom)
                > has been the one artistic speed bump.

                I'm the author of said code & video. Nothing in that video was the
                least bit designed for stereo sync - in fact, that recording was the
                only time I've had the two cameras connected! No reason why /any/
                operation couldn't be synchronised to the same degree of accuracy as
                shooting is synchronised in SDM (due to the discoveries made by SDM).
                It's simply a case of issuing a command followed by a synchronisation
                event.

                More explanations another time - it's late here.

                Simon
              • vfxdoctor
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Is the command issued over regular USB
                  (usual wires)? Or are they encoded over the power line? (Like the SDM sync trigger.)
                  Just curious.

                  It would certainly make matching the ISO, Focus,
                  aperature, and shutter speeds on both cameras (or more)
                  a lot easier!

                  Out of curiousity... Anyone know if the zoom speed could be controlled
                  by stepping the zoom On and Off in rapid succession?

                  -- Brian