Latest Canon SDM models

  • wpw007
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2012
      Folks, what's the highest resolution model that works with SDM, has shutter priority & a good aperture range / auto ISO? Do any have manual zoom?
    • depthcam
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2012
        --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@...> wrote:

        > Folks, what's the highest resolution model that works with SDM, has shutter priority & a good aperture range / auto ISO? Do any have manual zoom?

        Pretty much all "S" series and "G" series models. Those two offer full manual controls (including manual focus) as well. What sets them apart from all other Canon cameras in the compact range is their slightly larger sensor and a host of advanced functions that are usually found in large sensor cameras.

        There is little chance of finding manual zoom on compact cameras, but the lens ring on the "S" series cameras sure comes close to that when set in zoom mode.

        Check the page below to compare sensor sizes. Most Canon compacts have a 1/2.3" sensor, while the "S" and "G" series have a 1/1.7" sensor. It's not a big difference, but it is an improvement nonetheless.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg

        The most recent model to be ported to SDM in those series is the S95. Porting for the G12 is coming soon.

        If you are thinking of using one of these in a 12-camera rig, you might consider shopping for used S90's. They are more likely to go for cheaper because they do not have an HD video mode.

        Also keep in mind that, even though the "S" series is much smaller than the "G" series, an S90 or S95 is fairly larger than the SD780.

        http://www.jrcompton.com/photos/photographingArt/s90shots/size-compar-s90-sd780JRC_9057.jpg

        (Note that the handle you see on the S90 above is an added accessory.)

        Francois
      • wpw007
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2012
          Has the S210 been ported to CHDK / SDM? Who does it & when? I note someone has updated the spreadsheet stating the S200 has been. Will

          --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "depthcam" <depthcam@...> wrote:

          > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Folks, what's the highest resolution model that works with SDM, has shutter priority & a good aperture range / auto ISO? Do any have manual zoom?
          >

          > Pretty much all "S" series and "G" series models. Those two offer full manual controls (including manual focus) as well. What sets them apart from all other Canon cameras in the compact range is their slightly larger sensor and a host of advanced functions that are usually found in large sensor cameras.
          >
          > There is little chance of finding manual zoom on compact cameras, but the lens ring on the "S" series cameras sure comes close to that when set in zoom mode.
          >
          > Check the page below to compare sensor sizes. Most Canon compacts have a 1/2.3" sensor, while the "S" and "G" series have a 1/1.7" sensor. It's not a big difference, but it is an improvement nonetheless.
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg
          >
          > The most recent model to be ported to SDM in those series is the S95. Porting for the G12 is coming soon.
          >
          > If you are thinking of using one of these in a 12-camera rig, you might consider shopping for used S90's. They are more likely to go for cheaper because they do not have an HD video mode.
          >
          > Also keep in mind that, even though the "S" series is much smaller than the "G" series, an S90 or S95 is fairly larger than the SD780.
          >
          > http://www.jrcompton.com/photos/photographingArt/s90shots/size-compar-s90-sd780JRC_9057.jpg
          >
          > (Note that the handle you see on the S90 above is an added accessory.)
          >
          > Francois

        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2012
            There is a CHDK build (for firmware 100c) for the SX210 on the CHDKDE server - see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX210IS

            --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@...> wrote:

            > Has the S210 been ported to CHDK / SDM? Who does it & when? I note someone has updated the spreadsheet stating the S200 has been. Will
            >
            > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "depthcam" <depthcam@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Folks, what's the highest resolution model that works with SDM, has shutter priority & a good aperture range / auto ISO? Do any have manual zoom?
            > >

            > > Pretty much all "S" series and "G" series models. Those two offer full manual controls (including manual focus) as well. What sets them apart from all other Canon cameras in the compact range is their slightly larger sensor and a host of advanced functions that are usually found in large sensor cameras.
            > >
            > > There is little chance of finding manual zoom on compact cameras, but the lens ring on the "S" series cameras sure comes close to that when set in zoom mode.
            > >
            > > Check the page below to compare sensor sizes. Most Canon compacts have a 1/2.3" sensor, while the "S" and "G" series have a 1/1.7" sensor. It's not a big difference, but it is an improvement nonetheless.
            > >
            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg
            > >
            > > The most recent model to be ported to SDM in those series is the S95. Porting for the G12 is coming soon.
            > >
            > > If you are thinking of using one of these in a 12-camera rig, you might consider shopping for used S90's. They are more likely to go for cheaper because they do not have an HD video mode.
            > >
            > > Also keep in mind that, even though the "S" series is much smaller than the "G" series, an S90 or S95 is fairly larger than the SD780.
            > >
            > > http://www.jrcompton.com/photos/photographingArt/s90shots/size-compar-s90-sd780JRC_9057.jpg
            > >
            > > (Note that the handle you see on the S90 above is an added accessory.)
            > >
            > > Francois

          • depthcam
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2012
              --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@...> wrote:

              > Has the S210 been ported to CHDK / SDM? Who does it & when? I note someone has updated the spreadsheet stating the S200 has been. Will

              I gather you mean the SX200IS ? It does indeed appear on the "Cameras supported" page and is in fact the camera that the German fashion photographer used for his 50-cam rig... (although he actually used CHDK instead of SDM)

              The SX210 has been ported to CHDK and I guess could be ported to SDM if someone was willing to do the beta testing. What you should realize is that most cameras that have been ported to CHDK can be ported to SDM. However it requires someone to acquire the model they want to use and do some beta testing with David.

              One point to note, however: Tests conducted with a later model in this series - the SX230HS - have revealed sync problems with SDM. So there is no guarantee that a set of SD210IS would work...

              One thing that surprises me is that you would consider an SX model since I thought you were looking for the most compact model to use and the SX series is larger than the model you presently use.

              Francois

              . However, I believe that tests with SDM
            • wpw007
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2012
                Thnx. I'll get a couple of SX210s & liaise with David. How do I contact him?

                SX may be bigger but they're much cheaper & 14MP vs 12.

                David can you add a script or menu control to synch the zoom amount in Xx pls e.g. all at 100x when I press the shutter half way?
                I want to leave my rig next to a racing track, zoom in for safety & then focus all 12 & fire them simultaneously as the cars get to the right place on the bend. All on shutter Priority @500th sec with auto ISO- is it poss to write a script I could select from the menu to invoke those settings?

                Thnx in advance. Also what's diff between CHDK & SDM?

                Will

                --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "David" <dave@...> wrote:

                > There is a CHDK build (for firmware 100c) for the SX210 on the CHDKDE server - see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SX210IS
                >
                > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Has the S210 been ported to CHDK / SDM? Who does it & when? I note someone has updated the spreadsheet stating the S200 has been. Will
                > >
                > > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "depthcam" <depthcam@> wrote:

                > > > Pretty much all "S" series and "G" series models. Those two offer full manual controls (including manual focus) as well. What sets them apart from all other Canon cameras in the compact range is their slightly larger sensor and a host of advanced functions that are usually found in large sensor cameras.
                > > >
                > > > There is little chance of finding manual zoom on compact cameras, but the lens ring on the "S" series cameras sure comes close to that when set in zoom mode.
                > > >
                > > > Check the page below to compare sensor sizes. Most Canon compacts have a 1/2.3" sensor, while the "S" and "G" series have a 1/1.7" sensor. It's not a big difference, but it is an improvement nonetheless.
                > > >
                > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg
                > > >
                > > > The most recent model to be ported to SDM in those series is the S95. Porting for the G12 is coming soon.
                > > >
                > > > If you are thinking of using one of these in a 12-camera rig, you might consider shopping for used S90's. They are more likely to go for cheaper because they do not have an HD video mode.
                > > >
                > > > Also keep in mind that, even though the "S" series is much smaller than the "G" series, an S90 or S95 is fairly larger than the SD780.
                > > >
                > > > http://www.jrcompton.com/photos/photographingArt/s90shots/size-compar-s90-sd780JRC_9057.jpg
                > > >
                > > > (Note that the handle you see on the S90 above is an added accessory.)
                > > >
                > > > Francois

              • depthcam
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2012
                  --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@...> wrote:

                  > Thnx. I'll get a couple of SX210s & liaise with David. How do I contact him?

                  A) As I said, there is no guarantee the SX210 will work with SDM

                  B) The porting of the SX210 to CHDK is only for a SINGLE firmware version. If your cameras do not have that version, it may not work.

                  C) David is on this board so will read your post.

                  > SX may be bigger but they're much cheaper & 14MP vs 12

                  * Cheaper than what ?

                  * I thought your whole objective was to find the smallest model for your multi-cam rig...

                  * 14mp vs 12mp only means cramming more pixels onto a tiny sensor. The consequence is the picture is larger but lower quality. The best compromise for tiny sensors is 8Mp and 10Mp for 1/1.7" sensors in "S" and "G" cameras.

                  > David can you add a script or menu control to synch the zoom amount in Xx pls e.g. all at 100x when I press the shutter half way?

                  I think you're better off asking the forum if anyone has done that or can help you out.

                  > I want to leave my rig next to a racing track, zoom in for safety & then focus all 12 & fire them simultaneously as the cars get to the right place on the bend.

                  Have fun with that ! SDM is good at synching cameras, but releasing the shutter at the precise moment during action is not so easy.

                  > Also what's diff between CHDK & SDM?

                  CHDK is for 2D. SDM is based on CHDK but is designed for 3D.

                  Francois
                • wpw007
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 6, 2012
                    Thnx Francois. I understand it might not work, but hope David & I can get it sorted.

                    Cheaper than the S90 that someone suggested. They £180 each vs £80 each for the SX210 on Ebay.

                    I took some great 3D action shots at the Prescott Hill Climb track & managed to find a place on the track as my marker, so that when I released the trigger I got the shot nearly every time. I'll put a few on the web to show you.I was also filming my go up the hill in a racing 3 wheeler Morgan, for a campaign for work. It's on YouTube http://youtu.be/tbRrY-t1urw so I had a lot to think about on the day. The A560s just aren't reliable enough or high enough quality. They also aren't true manual, hence me upgrading.

                    The SX210s are almost the same size as my A560s, 5.9 x 10.6 cm, so will fit on my rig, or if I mount them portrait, I've still got good resolution. I can then betwix tweens in Twixtor to smooth out the transitions.

                    Thnx for all your help! Much appreciated.

                    Will

                    --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "depthcam" <depthcam@...> wrote:

                    > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thnx. I'll get a couple of SX210s & liaise with David. How do I contact him?
                    >

                    > A) As I said, there is no guarantee the SX210 will work with SDM
                    >
                    > B) The porting of the SX210 to CHDK is only for a SINGLE firmware version. If your cameras do not have that version, it may not work.
                    >
                    > C) David is on this board so will read your post.
                    >

                    > > SX may be bigger but they're much cheaper & 14MP vs 12
                    >

                    > * Cheaper than what ?
                    >
                    > * I thought your whole objective was to find the smallest model for your multi-cam rig...
                    >
                    > * 14mp vs 12mp only means cramming more pixels onto a tiny sensor. The consequence is the picture is larger but lower quality. The best compromise for tiny sensors is 8Mp and 10Mp for 1/1.7" sensors in "S" and "G" cameras.
                    >

                    > > David can you add a script or menu control to synch the zoom amount in Xx pls e.g. all at 100x when I press the shutter half way?
                    >

                    > I think you're better off asking the forum if anyone has done that or can help you out.
                    >

                    > > I want to leave my rig next to a racing track, zoom in for safety & then focus all 12 & fire them simultaneously as the cars get to the right place on the bend.
                    >

                    > Have fun with that ! SDM is good at synching cameras, but releasing the shutter at the precise moment during action is not so easy.
                    >

                    > > Also what's diff between CHDK & SDM?
                    >

                    > CHDK is for 2D. SDM is based on CHDK but is designed for 3D.
                    >
                    > Francois

                  • depthcam
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 6, 2012
                      --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "wpw007" <willwatling@...> wrote:

                      > Thnx Francois. I understand it might not work, but hope David & I can get it sorted.

                      For that to happen, you would need to purchase at least one or maybe two SX210IS and pray they are the right firmware. Then you would have to wait till David finds time to look into it. Then you would have to do sync tests.

                      I would suggest to consider the SX200IS which is already ported for two firmware versions (100c, 100d)

                      > Cheaper than the S90 that someone suggested. They £180 each vs £80 each for the SX210 on Ebay.

                      I am a proponent of the S90 & S95 but not for lenticular rigs. I use the S95 for twin rigs but SD1100 for multicam. In vertical orientation, the quality is pretty good but it's not WA (which I personally don't need) In horizontal orientation, I would choose the SD780 because the USB port is at the back.

                      > I took some great 3D action shots at the Prescott Hill Climb track & managed to find a place on the track as my marker, so that when I released the trigger I got the shot nearly every time. I'll put a few on the web to show you.

                      You also have to hope that all twelve cameras will be in sync all the time. Mis-sync does happen.

                      > They also aren't true manual, hence me upgrading.

                      Keep in mind that SDM can overide several auto settings.

                      Francois