Re: [StereoDataMaker] Re: Prisms are OK !

  • Imre dr.Zsolnai-Nagy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 201 KB
    Hi Francois!
    I attached the Antonello's drawings....
    Of course at that time ( before SDM)  the goal was the use of a single camera......with beamsplitter...
    Imre

    2012/1/6 depthcam <depthcam@...>

    --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Imre dr.Zsolnai-Nagy" <imrezsolnainagy@...> wrote:

    > Hi!
    > The real story of the prism rig is this:
    > Sergio sent me the equilateral prism ( 5x5x5 cm) for construct a tridelta
    > attachment for my Canon EOS 300D....
    > The work was too difficult.....but when SDM was born I instantly bought 2
    > Canon IXUS 70....because I decided to construct the "reverse" of the
    > tridelta project....but before SDM it was only an idea....
    > If I remember well ( perhaps I'm wrong ) I never seen similar drawing from
    > anybody.....(included Antonello)....

    I think the answer regarding the discrepency with John's memory of this may be that you got sketches (or patent copies) of the Tri-Delta converter from Giorgio as a guide for you to make a similar converter for your Canon 300D. The sketches John mentioned are probably those of the Tri-Delta configuration. When you abandoned the project, you were left with the prism and tried something else with it - so not a copy of those drawings.

    This would make sense because the Tri-Delta is the only other stereo device I know that uses an equilateral prism at its core - but it used in a very different way.

    So it looks like this still makes you the true inventor of the "Imre Prism" !!! (thanks to inspiration from Pompey and Marcus Mainardi - inventors of the Tri-Delta converter).

    > Regarding the focals: it is depending how far you put the camera from the
    > prism....
    > The IXUS 70 is positionable very very near ( almost in contact with the
    > prism ) so the shorter focal is about 50-48mm (equivalent)...shorter focals
    > produces unusable vertical parts on both sides...
    > Imre

    Antonio points out that a shorter focal lenght may be possible if the cameras are in vertical orientation....

    Francois

    --
    http://www.conversion3d.freeweb.hu
    http://imre3d.axo.hu
    Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2012
      --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Imre dr.Zsolnai-Nagy" <imrezsolnainagy@...> wrote:

      > Hi Francois!
      > I attached the Antonello's drawings....
      > Of course at that time ( before SDM) the goal was the use of a single
      > camera......with beamsplitter...
      > Imre

      Thanks for those sketches, Imre ! But ironically, none of these show a Tri-Delta configuration. The Tri-Delta design uses a single central prism with one face parallel to the lens surface.

      All of the examples in these sketches show either two prisms or two mirrors in front of the lens surface arranged in the opposite direction.

      It's clear that none of these sketches could have served as the basis for your design.

      Francois
    • Imre dr.Zsolnai-Nagy
      Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2012
      • 1 Attachment
      • 4 KB
      Hi! You are again right....
      Here is another draw from Satta, sent me by Sergio at the time when we want construct a tridelta attachment for Canon EOS...
      Imre

      Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2012
        --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Imre dr.Zsolnai-Nagy" <imrezsolnainagy@...> wrote:

        > Hi! You are again right....
        > Here is another draw from Satta, sent me by Sergio at the time when we want
        > construct a tridelta attachment for Canon EOS...
        > Imre

        That is indeed the correct Tri-Delta configuration as worked out by Marcus and Pompey Mainardi. This comfirms that my assumption as expressed in post #12157 was correct. And I can see how, from this drawing, it was easy to conceive a reversed design where the mirrors are replaced by two cameras...

        As simple as it might appear, it looks like nobody thought of doing this before you !

        Francois