Off-the-shelf switch options

  • Jeremy Hinton (blueyonder)
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2011
      StereoData Maker
      I have been using my homemade switch unit for SDM, with 3.5mm jack connectors for extension leads.
      My wiring let me down last week, so I am thinking of a robust modular replacement (including optional extension leads for remote shutter release - not increased separation. It was the homebrew jack-to-two mini-usb splitter lead which let me down).

      I understand that the Ricoh CA-1 switch is fully SDM compatible, but that seems hard to find at a good price.
      The  JJC LR-L seems to be an alternative to the Ricoh CA-1. Pictures suggest that it may have a 3.5mm jack as well as mini-usb out? but it too has become hard to find. I think the market for Ricoh remotes has passed its peak!

      My questions are:
      Are any of the other JJC LR-x range suitable?
      Are any of the other Canon remote switches (RS-60E3) suitable?
      (or do they only close the circuit rather than delivering 3-5v)

      I have seen the 'Commercial support for SDM page'.  I'm looking at alternatives before deciding whether to change from 3.5mm jack to mini-usb for my extension leads. I have looked through the correspondence on this forum, but mention of off the shelf switches other than the CA-1 is sketchy.

      Thank you for any advice,

      Jeremy
    • David W. Kesner
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2011
        Hello Jeremy

        > so I am thinking of a robust modular replacement

        Have you looked into the genetSTEREO switches from Edinburgh:

        http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentstereo/index.htm

        I used one for quite a while and really liked it. Especially the ability
        to sync an off camera flash.

        Hope that helps,

        David W. Kesner
        Boise, Idaho, USA
        www.dddphotography.com
      • depthcam
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2011
          --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Hinton \(blueyonder\)" <jeremy.hinton@...> wrote:

          > StereoData MakerI have been using my homemade switch unit for SDM, with
          > 3.5mm jack connectors for extension leads.
          > My wiring let me down last week, so I am thinking of a robust modular
          > replacement (including optional extension leads for remote shutter release -
          > not increased separation. It was the homebrew jack-to-two mini-usb splitter
          > lead which let me down).
          >
          > I understand that the Ricoh CA-1 switch is fully SDM compatible, but that
          > seems hard to find at a good price.
          > The JJC LR-L seems to be an alternative to the Ricoh CA-1. Pictures suggest
          > that it may have a 3.5mm jack as well as mini-usb out? but it too has become
          > hard to find. I think the market for Ricoh remotes has passed its peak!
          >
          > My questions are:
          > Are any of the other JJC LR-x range suitable?
          > Are any of the other Canon remote switches (RS-60E3) suitable?
          > (or do they only close the circuit rather than delivering 3-5v)
          >
          > I have seen the 'Commercial support for SDM page'. I'm looking at
          > alternatives before deciding whether to change from 3.5mm jack to mini-usb
          > for my extension leads. I have looked through the correspondence on this
          > forum, but mention of off the shelf switches other than the CA-1 is sketchy.
          >
          > Thank you for any advice,
          >
          > Jeremy

          Hi Jeremy,

          I was just discussing this very subject with Frans Van de Kamp (Frans makes SDM switches and cables to order) in the past weeks. Even though some people seem to like the CA-1, I have never felt a need for it. I am happy with a simple on/off switch. I guess that is a personal preference. When the CA-1 was first announced, I had found the existence of the JJC version (on eBay) and I too had noticed the 2.5mm jack (not 3.5mm). I proposed it as an alternative on the forum at that time without having tried it.

          Recently, just like you, I thought I would take another look at the JJC and was surprised that it is hard to find anyone who still stocks it. (I could find only a single seller on eBay) I mentioned the JJC to Frans who told me he had one and he wasn't too impressed with it. He said that the one he got had a disconnected wire which he needed to resolder and then he found that the release button was unreliable as it was difficult to determine the half press position and the unit would sometimes respond as "full press" even with a light touch of the button.

          If you're still interested in a CA-1, it is still available at Adorama for $24.95 postage paid (US locations only) here:

          http://www.adorama.com/IRCCA1.html

          If you would like something custom-made to your specs, you might consider Frans's work:

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/sets/72157624151791739/

          Also, GentStereo (as David K. suggested) has some good switches - even though they are somewhat "boxy" and bulky when compared to Frans's streamlined switches. But then some GentStereo models do offer extra features, as David pointed out.

          Francois
        • Richard J Lawrence
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2011
            I have a question that is somewhat related to this question.   I went to the "gentls" link given in the reply to this question and the basic unit advertised there is supposed to work with my camera (SX120 IS).    However, before purchasing the unit (and purchasing a twin to the camera I have) I wondered if there was a way to test the camera without first having the unit.

            A person told me that all I need to do is to attach the camera to my computer (using the USB cable that came with camera) and then unplug it from the computer to check if my camera will work with SDM.    He said that when I plug it into the computer (after attaching it to the camera), the computer will supply the camera with a 5volt potential vai the USB and this will cause the camera to focus and preflash and THEN, when I unplug the USB from the computer, the shutter will be released and a picture will be taken.

            I infer from this that all an SDM unit does is to temporarily furnish the camera with a 5v potential when the SDM trigger is held in, and then remove the voltage when the trigger button is released.   But if that were the case then anyone even slightly handy could buy a little contact switch from radio shack and a couple USB jacks attached via the switch circut to a 5 volt source and there would be no market for a special factory made unit.

            Also, if that is the case then it would seem to me that we have a "one size fits all" situation ... so why do I find a list of cameras that are compatible with the Pro version but not the Basic version?   I am a little confused.   Do some carmeras require a different voltage than other cameras or is 5volts the standard triggering voltage on all of them?

            Does everyone agree that the experiment this fellow decribed is a sufficient test to see if my camera is compatible with the Basic SDM unit.

            -Richard Lawrence
            Cape Coral, FL
          • depthcam
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2011
              --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Richard J Lawrence <lawrencrj@...> wrote:

              > I have a question that is somewhat related to this question. I went to the
              > "gentls" link given in the reply to this question and the basic unit
              > advertised there is supposed to work with my camera (SX120 IS). However,
              > before purchasing the unit (and purchasing a twin to the camera I have) I
              > wondered if there was a way to test the camera without first having the
              > unit.
              >
              > A person told me that all I need to do is to attach the camera to my
              > computer (using the USB cable that came with camera) and then unplug it from
              > the computer to check if my camera will work with SDM. He said that when
              > I plug it into the computer (after attaching it to the camera), the computer
              > will supply the camera with a 5volt potential vai the USB and this will
              > cause the camera to focus and preflash and THEN, when I unplug the USB from
              > the computer, the shutter will be released and a picture will be taken.
              >
              > I infer from this that all an SDM unit does is to temporarily furnish the
              > camera with a 5v potential when the SDM trigger is held in, and then remove
              > the voltage when the trigger button is released. But if that were the case
              > then anyone even slightly handy could buy a little contact switch from radio
              > shack and a couple USB jacks attached via the switch circut to a 5 volt
              > source and there would be no market for a special factory made unit.
              >
              > Also, if that is the case then it would seem to me that we have a "one size
              > fits all" situation ...* so why do I find a list of cameras that are
              > compatible with the Pro version but not the Basic version?* * I am a little
              > confused. Do some carmeras require a different voltage than other cameras
              > or is 5volts the standard triggering voltage on all of them?*
              > *
              > *
              > *Does everyone agree that the experiment this fellow decribed is a
              > sufficient test to see if my camera is compatible with the Basic SDM unit.
              > *
              > *
              > *
              > *-Richard Lawrence*
              > *Cape Coral, FL *

              Hi Richard,

              The method you describe is used to TEST the camera mainly when you find you have a problem with your SDM rig and are trying to find where the problem lies or want to try and correct a sync error (which mainly occurs if you use two different models in the same rig). It is not meant to show compatibility between a given camera and SDM.

              http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/crt_synch.htm

              As you surmised, your camera model must first be ported to SDM. A page on the SDM website shows you exactly which cameras have been ported:

              http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/cams.htm

              If your camera is among those listed on the SDM website, this means that it has been ported to SDM. In other words, there is an SDM program available that will work with your camera. The camera you have is indeed ported. You should also check the firmware on your camera to make sure that a program matching your firmware is also available.

              When you do acquire a "twin" of your camera, you will also have to check its firmware and see if it matches the one that has been tested with SDM. For the SX120is, the only firmware tested is 100b. This does not mean that 100b is the only firmware that will work with SDM, it only means that it is the only firmware that has been tested with it....

              And there lies the uncertainty. If one or both of your SX120is have another version of the firmware, you cannot be sure if SDM will work until you try it out. This does not mean that the cameras will not sync properly, it may just be some other incompatibility with the firmware. Unfortunately, you won't know that until you actually have the cameras and can test them out.

              So the first thing you should do is check the firmware on the camera you have.

              Now, adressing your other question regarding the switch: You are quite right that all that is involved besides the SDM software is a simple on/off switch and about 4.5 volts. Frans's switches and cables are exactly that. The fact is that a lot of people are not that handy with "making stuff" and would prefer to have somebody make one for them.

              The CA-1 is a more sophisticated switch in that it mimicks the switch of a regular digital camera. With it, you can half-press to focus and full-press to shoot.

              The Gentstereo comes in two models. One is a simple switch - just like the ones Frans makes but in a bulkier body. The other one has more electronics in it so as to allow external flash sync. I haven't taken a close look at the list of compatible cameras on the Gentstereo site and I don't know if it matches every single camera ported to SDM, but it's possible the variations - if any - may have to do with compatibility with the external flash mode - not with SDM.

              Francois
            • David W. Kesner
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2011
                Hello Richard,

                > But if that were
                > the case then anyone even slightly handy could buy a little contact switch
                > from radio shack and a couple USB jacks attached via the switch circut to
                > a 5 volt source and there would be no market for a special factory made
                > unit.

                Yes, that is exactly the case with a Basic switch. Many people have
                offered instructions for making your own switch from raw parts to LED
                flashlights to garage door openers to remote door bell switches.

                In that vein I would not necessarily recommend a basic genetSTEREO
                switch. I would however highly recommend the pro version as it adds an
                adjustable delay circuit that allows you to sync an off camera flash.
                Then again you can add this bit of harware to your home made switch as
                well, if you have the knowledge and ability (instructions available on
                line).

                Hope that helps,

                David W. Kesner
                Boise, Idaho, USA
                www.dddphotography.com
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2011
                  I am using multiple canon switches by werner bloos(digi-dat.de) with cables of different lenghts and thicknesses(two). I am mostly using the thick 3mm cable, always with angled adapter on zbar. Yes i had to stabilize the connection by 1. glueing standard not angled plug to the angled-adapter 2. velcroing the end to the camera. 3. using flexible isolating tape to stabilize the other end at the switch. 3. werner added a 2.5-connector for remote control. Will show the whole in the europanorama-files on page 2- asap.
                  my next system will be gentles. Not so compact but very clever.
                  Michael P.
                • Timo
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2011
                    The SDM software needs to be installed on a memory card, and will load the software on the camera on start up. Otherwise, the camera will not be an SDM camera.

                    As to a cheap off the self switch, for when you have loaded the software, here is another, cheaper switch that does the same thing as the Ricoh switch

                    There is plenty of room inside to add a second camera connector, if you are handy that way.

                    Timo

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 1, 2011
                        --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Hinton \(blueyonder\)" <jeremy.hinton@...> wrote:

                        > I understand that the Ricoh CA-1 switch is fully SDM compatible, but that
                        > seems hard to find at a good price.

                        Paxtons City branch in Sydney had quite a few new Ricoh CA-1 in their junk box when I looked a couple of weeks ago -- for $10A or so. Maybe you could get them to send you one for a good price.
                        http://paxtons.rtrk.com.au/?scid=4127&kw=3853657

                        PeterM
                      • depthcam
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 1, 2011
                          --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Timo <timopuhakka@...> wrote:

                          > As to a cheap off the self switch, for when you have loaded the
                          > software, here is another, cheaper switch that does the same thing as
                          > the Ricoh switch
                          >
                          > http://cgi.ebay.ca/REMOTE-SWITCH-CONTROL-RICOH-GX8-R7-R8-R-10-/230606409352?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item35b1368e88
                          >
                          > There is plenty of room inside to add a second camera connector, if
                          > you are handy that way.
                          >
                          > Timo

                          This is the JJC LR switch that Jeremy and I mentioned a few posts ago, to which I added a note of warning: Frans Van de Kamp tried it and found it unreliable in that one wire inside it was loose - suggesting poor connections - and the release button was found to be too sensitive in that the camera would often release at a mere touch instead of setting the focus.

                          If anybody else has had any experience with this switch, please post about it - as the one SDM user I know of who has bought one was very unhappy with it.

                          Francois
                        • lordlucansalive
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 2, 2011
                            I bought one of these on ebay from a supplier in Hong Kong. I can't be certain it's the same device but it looked identical. It never worked and after taking it apart and seeing nothing obviously wrong, I eventually just threw it away as it was too much trouble trying to chase a HK supplier for a return/refund.

                            I suggest if you buy one make sure that either you trust the supplier or you have enough electronics knowledge to fix it if goes wrong.

                            --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "depthcam" <depthcam@...> wrote:

                            > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Timo <timopuhakka@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > As to a cheap off the self switch, for when you have loaded the
                            > > software, here is another, cheaper switch that does the same thing as
                            > > the Ricoh switch
                            > >
                            > > http://cgi.ebay.ca/REMOTE-SWITCH-CONTROL-RICOH-GX8-R7-R8-R-10-/230606409352?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item35b1368e88
                            > >
                            > > There is plenty of room inside to add a second camera connector, if
                            > > you are handy that way.
                            > >
                            > > Timo
                            >

                            > This is the JJC LR switch that Jeremy and I mentioned a few posts ago, to which I added a note of warning: Frans Van de Kamp tried it and found it unreliable in that one wire inside it was loose - suggesting poor connections - and the release button was found to be too sensitive in that the camera would often release at a mere touch instead of setting the focus.
                            >
                            > If anybody else has had any experience with this switch, please post about it - as the one SDM user I know of who has bought one was very unhappy with it.
                            >
                            > Francois

                          • Grant Campos
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 2, 2011
                              Check out Frans's switches.  If you get the one below, you'll still need a splitter.  Frans can make you a custom switch.

                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/sets/72157624151791739/

                              Grant

                              I bought one of these on ebay from a supplier in Hong Kong. I can't be certain it's the same device but it looked identical. It never worked and after taking it apart and seeing nothing obviously wrong, I eventually just threw it away as it was too much trouble trying to chase a HK supplier for a return/refund.

                              I suggest if you buy one make sure that either you trust the supplier or you have enough electronics knowledge to fix it if goes wrong.

                              --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "depthcam" <depthcam@...> wrote:

                              > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Timo <timopuhakka@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > As to a cheap off the self switch, for when you have loaded the
                              > > software, here is another, cheaper switch that does the same thing as
                              > > the Ricoh switch
                              > >
                              > > http://cgi.ebay.ca/REMOTE-SWITCH-CONTROL-RICOH-GX8-R7-R8-R-10-/230606409352?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item35b1368e88
                              > >
                              > > There is plenty of room inside to add a second camera connector, if
                              > > you are handy that way.
                              > >
                              > > Timo
                              >

                              > This is the JJC LR switch that Jeremy and I mentioned a few posts ago, to which I added a note of warning: Frans Van de Kamp tried it and found it unreliable in that one wire inside it was loose - suggesting poor connections - and the release button was found to be too sensitive in that the camera would often release at a mere touch instead of setting the focus.
                              >
                              > If anybody else has had any experience with this switch, please post about it - as the one SDM user I know of who has bought one was very unhappy with it.
                              >
                              > Francois

                            • depthcam
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 2, 2011
                                --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Grant Campos <gccampos@...> wrote:

                                > Check out Frans's switches. If you get the one below, you'll still need a
                                > splitter. Frans can make you a custom switch.
                                >
                                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/fvdk3d/sets/72157624151791739/
                                >
                                > Grant

                                I think everybody is in agreement with that ! ;-)

                                Francois
                              • Michael
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 2, 2011
                                  I am relying on our friends werner bloos switches
                                  http://www.digi-dat.de/produkte/index_eng.html#SDM

                                  get also the right-angle-adapters if your cams contact ar inside(i would buy two pairs).
                                  remote-control-connector can be added by him.
                                  If the contacts are inside on a zbar i would only rely on the right-angle-adapter-solution. i will tell why if you let me know if you need angled plugs.
                                  Michael P.

                                  --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Hinton \(blueyonder\)" <jeremy.hinton@> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I understand that the Ricoh CA-1 switch is fully SDM compatible, but that
                                  > > seems hard to find at a good price.
                                  >

                                  > Paxtons City branch in Sydney had quite a few new Ricoh CA-1 in their junk box when I looked a couple of weeks ago -- for $10A or so. Maybe you could get them to send you one for a good price.
                                  > http://paxtons.rtrk.com.au/?scid=4127&kw=3853657
                                  >
                                  > PeterM

                                • Grant Campos
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 3, 2011
                                    Yes, Werner makes top of the line products too.  Some, day when my ship comes in, I'll get two S95's and the accompanying z-bar!  I notice that often my a570 shots look better than my Fuji W3 shots and can only imagine how good the S95's would be.  It is fun looking at video from the W3 and having the convenient 3D display on the back.  Too bad there is no convenient way to shoot with the Canon cameras and review it with the W3 type screen immediately:)  Though with a laptop you could process a batch and show them on the W3 within minutes!

                                    Grant

                                    I am relying on our friends werner bloos switches
                                    http://www.digi-dat.de/produkte/index_eng.html#SDM

                                    get also the right-angle-adapters if your cams contact ar inside(i would buy two pairs).
                                    remote-control-connector can be added by him.
                                    If the contacts are inside on a zbar i would only rely on the right-angle-adapter-solution. i will tell why if you let me know if you need angled plugs.
                                    Michael P.

                                    --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <mediavr@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Hinton \(blueyonder\)" <jeremy.hinton@> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > I understand that the Ricoh CA-1 switch is fully SDM compatible, but that
                                    > > seems hard to find at a good price.
                                    >

                                    > Paxtons City branch in Sydney had quite a few new Ricoh CA-1 in their junk box when I looked a couple of weeks ago -- for $10A or so. Maybe you could get them to send you one for a good price.
                                    > http://paxtons.rtrk.com.au/?scid=4127&kw=3853657
                                    >
                                    > PeterM

                                  • Michael
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 3, 2011
                                      The zoom-like zbars from werner are a dream. in stereoforum.org we discussed about a teflon-tape(polytetrafluorethylen) to make the sliding smoother. i have the one for my a590is. look also at my tripod-mount-construction in the files, page 2 europanorama. Easy adjusting level when on tripod, independent when cards/batteries must be changed. ideal for panoramas. l-shape can be mounted vice-versa.
                                      John toeppen has a better-inbetween-the lens-rotating construction. never seen. You can view the images on the screen by using these cheap prism-glasses available at berezin.com(usa) and nvp3d.com(switzerland-europe). The day will come when an external screen can be attached. maybe canon is working on a system with the successor of the tx1. larger chip. i have my doubts after the nuclear catastrophy.
                                      Michael P.
                                      --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Grant Campos <gccampos@...> wrote:

                                      > Yes, Werner makes top of the line products too. Some, day when my ship comes
                                      > in, I'll get two S95's and the accompanying z-bar! I notice that often my a570
                                      > shots look better than my Fuji W3 shots and can only imagine how good the S95's
                                      > would be. It is fun looking at video from the W3 and having the convenient 3D
                                      > display on the back. Too bad there is no convenient way to shoot with the Canon
                                      > cameras and review it with the W3 type screen immediately:) Though with a
                                      > laptop you could process a batch and show them on the W3 within minutes!
                                      >
                                      > Grant
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • joelgilgoff
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 11, 2012
                                        David - Did you connect the gentstereo flash connector plug to to a wireless remote to trigger studio lighting? If so how did you do it?

                                        Joel Gilgoff

                                        --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, "David W. Kesner" <lists@...> wrote:

                                        > Hello Jeremy
                                        >
                                        > > so I am thinking of a robust modular replacement
                                        >
                                        > Have you looked into the genetSTEREO switches from Edinburgh:
                                        >
                                        > http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentstereo/index.htm
                                        >
                                        > I used one for quite a while and really liked it. Especially the ability
                                        > to sync an off camera flash.
                                        >
                                        > Hope that helps,
                                        >
                                        > David W. Kesner
                                        > Boise, Idaho, USA
                                        > www.dddphotography.com

                                      • David Kesner
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 11, 2012
                                          Hello Joel,

                                          David - Did you connect the gentstereo flash connector plug to to a wireless remote to trigger studio lighting? If so how did you do it?

                                          Not sure I understand your question. Simply plug in the wireless remote to the flash port on the switch. You then need to adjust the delay on the switch to match your wireless/flash setup. The procedure is outlined in the instruction manual and on their website.

                                          As for my use I was using an off-camera flash plugged into the switch, not a wireless remote. I don't own that switch anymore as I am not using an SDM rig at the moment.

                                          Hope that helps,

                                          David W. Kesner
                                          Boise, Idaho, USA
                                          www.dddphotography.com