gif image or video for synchronization test?

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
      Hi all,

      I need to test the synchronization quality of a video-rig made from a few cameras.
      So I thought of recording my laptop screen.

      For this I need some footage like growing bars or something that will symbolize time.
      E.g. a bar filling the screen from left to right in 0.1 second, then the next bar and so on until the screen is filled, then restart.

      You get the idea. I hope.
      Any ideas?

      I am on Ubuntu Linux.

      Thanks,
      Jan

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
        If you dont get a solution here ask the computer-experts at the forum of www.sysopt.com.
        Also a good if not the best place for pc-problems.
        Michael P.

        --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I need to test the synchronization quality of a video-rig made from a few
        > cameras.
        > So I thought of recording my laptop screen.
        >
        > For this I need some footage like growing bars or something that will
        > symbolize time.
        > E.g. a bar filling the screen from left to right in 0.1 second, then the
        > next bar and so on until the screen is filled, then restart.
        >
        > You get the idea. I hope.
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > I am on Ubuntu Linux.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jan

      • Allan Rydberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
          One old way of doing this is to take a picture of a CRT and look for the scan lines.     A color CRT is a must and data on the sweep rate and interlace rate which is well known.

          Also a good if not the best place for pc-problems.
          Michael P.

          --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I need to test the synchronization quality of a video-rig made from a few
          > cameras.
          > So I thought of recording my laptop screen.
          >
          > For this I need some footage like growing bars or something that will
          > symbolize time.
          > E.g. a bar filling the screen from left to right in 0.1 second, then the
          > next bar and so on until the screen is filled, then restart.
          >
          > You get the idea. I hope.
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > I am on Ubuntu Linux.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jan

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              StereoDataMaker-digest@yahoogroups.com
              StereoDataMaker-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Jan Martin
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
            Hi Allan,

            I know. I have nothing of that around. Absolute measurement is not needed.
            Just to see if the cameras are synchronized to each other.

            Has anyone a gif for that laying around?

            Jan

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
              Perhaps I did not make myself clear.    By CRT I mean a old type television set.  Not a LCD model.   Usually the cameras will pick up the scan lines.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2011
                I got you.
                No old monitors here.

                --
                http://www.DIY-streetview.org
              • rjvnyc@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
                  There is a script here to test motion detection. It is adjustable, but I do not know if it is fast enough for your purposes

                  http://dataghost.com/chdk/md_meter.html
                  Bob

                  --- In StereoDataMaker@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > I need to test the synchronization quality of a video-rig made from a few
                  > cameras.
                  > So I thought of recording my laptop screen.
                  >
                  > For this I need some footage like growing bars or something that will
                  > symbolize time.
                  > E.g. a bar filling the screen from left to right in 0.1 second, then the
                  > next bar and so on until the screen is filled, then restart.
                  >
                  > You get the idea. I hope.
                  > Any ideas?
                  >
                  > I am on Ubuntu Linux.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jan

                • David
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
                    I've had pretty good results synchronizing my cams using a ceiling fan.

                    BRIGHTLY light the fan blades (from either in front or behind), and force the fastest shutter speed your cams support (no flash of course).

                    To reduce trial and error, we can do some math...
                    If the fan is spinning on high at 240 rpm, each blade completes 4 revs per second, or 360 degrees in .25 seconds. Therefore, in 1/60th of a second a blade arcs 24deg. Since a 52" diameter fan has a circumference(PiD)of ~163", the tip of each blade will travel (24x163)/360 = almost 11".

                    So, if the position of the blades is off by half it's arc between the cameras, you would need to delay the faster camera 8ms, etc.