Re: Monthly SV Challenge

  • mineralman55
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "David" <z32lunacity@...> wrote:

      I've been out of pocket for a few days. Let's see what's going on.

      > Larry only problem Vic didn't put setting circles on my M1 so I can't give RA and DEC to prove I got it. Like so maybe we could have an honor system you'd think we can trust each other here.
      >
      > David B.

      Don't have 'em on my M1 either (JMI has offered to install them). Not a reason to stop anyone. Just spot the objects, look up the RA and DEC. No big deal. Oops, just let the cat out of the bag... it's semi-educational.

      It's also for fun. It's going to be several nights worth of effort for me as well. I cannot spot Alpha Centauri from home either (too many trees and houses in the way.) but it won't stop me from trying to complete the list during the month. You'll be able to see Ceres from Denver, so you'll get the bonus points. As the commercial says, "Just do it!"

      Larry
    • David and Sharon Elosser
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
        Larry, I've seen many of the targets on your list. I need to go after the
        double star and Ceres. At magnitude 7-ish Ceres will actually be visible
        in binoculars, one just needs a good chart or planetarium program to get
        its position. I've seen Ceres before too, but not this year. My
        StarryNight program accurately shows the positions of many asteroids. I
        enjoy tracking them when I can, and estimating their magnitudes using the
        same comparitave techniques that variable-star observers use.

        David E

        > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "David" <z32lunacity@...> wrote:
        >
        > I've been out of pocket for a few days. Let's see what's going on.
        >
        >> Larry only problem Vic didn't put setting circles on my M1 so I can't
        >> give RA and DEC to prove I got it. Like so maybe we could have an honor
        >> system you'd think we can trust each other here.
        >>
        >> David B.
        >
        > Don't have 'em on my M1 either (JMI has offered to install them). Not a
        > reason to stop anyone. Just spot the objects, look up the RA and DEC. No
        > big deal. Oops, just let the cat out of the bag... it's semi-educational.
        >
        > It's also for fun. It's going to be several nights worth of effort for me
        > as well. I cannot spot Alpha Centauri from home either (too many trees and
        > houses in the way.) but it won't stop me from trying to complete the list
        > during the month. You'll be able to see Ceres from Denver, so you'll get
        > the bonus points. As the commercial says, "Just do it!"
        >
        > Larry

      • mineralman55
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
          --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "David and Sharon Elosser" <pde444@...> wrote:

          > Larry, I've seen many of the targets on your list.

          That's a great thing--- you're ahead of the curve. Just so everyone knows, I personally haven't seen many of the objects on this first challenge list, so it's going to be a challenge for me as well but I'm looking forward to it.

          This will open the floodgates, but feel free to email me offline with suggestions for future viewing objects or additional ideas.

          Larry