Re: [Stellarvue] Re: New Member

  • John Johnson
    Message 1 of 79 , May 1, 2008
      Thanks Darren,you pointed me in the right direction,I have been using high power thinking that would make things easier to see.But with looking for fuzzes i need more light not magnification. I have a few books and magazines. But talking with someone that has that experiences is a big help.
      Thanks
      John

      Darren Hennig <dhennig2@...> wrote:
      Hi John!

      nice to hear from you here! I will take a bit of a different tack to
      my compadres here:

      My suggestions are three-fold:

      1) get a good wide field eyepiece, one that gives at least 2-3
      degrees of field. The SV102ED f/7 should do very well with a 30-35mm
      wide field 2" EP, so try to find one with at least 60-65 degree
      apparent field. The 35mm Panoptic is a good choice, but may be out of
      the budget, so even a 32mm Optiluxe, or 30mm Hyperion would do well.
      The idea here is to be able to "orient" a bit more easily with an
      almost 3 degree field. You're just a bit above binoculars in this
      regime.

      2) Get a good skychart software, even the freeware Cartes du Ciel,
      SkyChart III, Starry night, etc., allow you to learn the sky a bti
      easier [even on cloudy nights!], and generate your own custom charts
      for your area. You can then use these to supplement your widefield EP
      with star hopping from brighter stars. Over time, their patterns will
      become more familiar, and you can then find things even easier!

      3) When budget allows, if your C8 already has it, see if you can use
      the Goto feature to enhance your observing. Learn from where the unit
      is oriented when aiming at, say, Messier objects - look where the
      stars are in relation to this, and then even an alt-az mount with
      your 102ED makes things a "snap" over time. You may also wish to try
      goign to a local outreach or star party, and learn from more
      experienced observers there too! Everyone has their own way of doing
      things, but the above three can really allow a "fast-track" of sorts
      to get you finding fuzzies sooner. Use Books and web-based resources
      to enhance what you learn too!

      Darren

    • k75jim
      Message 79 of 79 , Jan 10, 2013