Re: Looking for review of Nighthawk Classic

  • Ted Bracht
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "David Hanych" <dhanych2@...> wrote:

      > Anyone know of a reliable detailed review of the NH Classic? I see
      > they are on clearance. The only scope I own now is the SV66.
      >
      > DAH

      Slightly older than the others, but still worth a read:
      <http://www.scopereviews.com/page1k.html>.

      Note that the specs have changed since though

      Ted
    • Jim Carpenter
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2007
        Ted,
        The scope in Ed Ting's review was the original AT1002, which bears
        little resemblence to today's Nighthawk. It had a cemented objective,
        non-sliding dewshield, and 1.25" R&P focuser. On the surface it seems
        much the same, and indeed it was the scope that set the stage for the
        later AT1010 and NH series, but other than the focal length and
        aperture, the changes in the specs really make this a totally
        different instrument than the NH Classic.

        FWIW, I had one of these scopes for several years. I ordered it at
        the "introductory" price in April 2000 and took delivery in early June
        2000, shortly before the Ed Ting review. The cemented objective
        performed well if it was properly matched and aligned before the
        elements were cemented, but Vic once told me he rejected 9 out of 10
        of those lenses. I was somewhat surprised a couple of years ago to
        see another manufacturer using 80mm/F6 cemented objectives, and can't
        help but wonder if those receive the same careful scrutiny that Vic
        insisted on before those scopes hit the dealer shelves.

        The AT1002 served me well for several years, and was the first of many
        Stellarvue scopes (I'm now on #6). I blackened the edges of the lens
        and upgraded to a 2" R&P focuser before I eventually exchanged it for
        a NH Classic, which I still own. You can see a photo of me and the
        AT1002 in the Group Mug Shots folder in the files section. You can
        see it looks almost identical to the later R&P Nighthawks. Also, for
        those that haven't read it, there is an interesting article in the
        Stellarvue FAQs folder titled SV History by Vic.pdf that discusses the
        very early days of Stellarvue.

        JimC
        Denver

        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Bracht" <ted@...> wrote:

        > Slightly older than the others, but still worth a read:
        > <http://www.scopereviews.com/page1k.html>.
        >
        > Note that the specs have changed since though
        >
        > Ted

      • stellarvue1
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
          The Nighthawk Classic and the AT1002 are two completely different
          telescopes. We only made about forty AT1002 telescopes which had the
          disadvantage of using a 1.25" focuser. That reduces aperture when you
          use a star diagonal, as we pointed out on our spec page back then.
          Shortly after it was introduced we located a source for the 2" rack
          and pinion focusers and this eliminated the aperture reduction issue.
          This telescope, the AT1010, evolved into the Nighthawk.

          It was the frustration of depending entirely on outside suppliers
          back then that resulted in us developing our own shop. The rest is
          history. When I think back about the garage days I realize that I
          could not do this again. Those were very hard times with many
          disappointments. It took a full year to produce one telescope model,
          the AT1010. In contrast, we introduced over a dozen new (next
          generation) telescopes last year which constitute the highest
          standard in refractors available today. I could only have dreamed of
          this 7 years ago. All of you helped to make this a reality and while
          I have not said this lately, I really appreciate all of your support
          through this endeavor. We made this dream a reality.

          Vic Maris

          --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Bracht" <ted@...> wrote:

          > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "David Hanych" <dhanych2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anyone know of a reliable detailed review of the NH Classic? I
          see
          > > they are on clearance. The only scope I own now is the SV66.
          > >
          > > DAH
          > >

          > Slightly older than the others, but still worth a read:
          > <http://www.scopereviews.com/page1k.html>.
          >
          > Note that the specs have changed since though
          >
          > Ted

        • Don
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2007
            On your recommendation I ordered the book. I have been thinking about
            a new scope to start taking pictures with, but if all the reviews I
            read in Amazon are true, why should I waste the money? Thank you for
            suggesting it.
          • Don
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 3, 2007
              Vic,

              You have it backwards...we want to thank you for producing such a
              wonderful product! Just think what we would be using if you had not
              kept your chin up and moved from the disappointments to the success SV
              is today. Thanks!