Re: Yosemite trip, (was SV115 takes a vacation to Yosemite) ...

  • Troy L.
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2005
      I'm with ya, Mark! Would love to observe from Yosemite! In fact, I
      almost dropped in on you last weekend. We met some friends at Bass
      Lake for the weekend, but ended up having to race home late Saturday
      night. A couple of us were talking about making the short drive up
      to see you, but then other things got in the way. Sounds like we
      missed a great night!

      Let the planning begin.

      Cheers,
      Troy

      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Stafforini"
      <mstafforini@y...> wrote:

      > > We need to plan a Yosemite Stellartrip next year!
      > >
      > > Vic Maris
      >
      > Yes we do, that would be great. But leave your staff out of it. They
      > have enough to do. We can get people like myself, Troy and other
      > California SVers to share coordination. Right Troy? By the way, our
      > club has an annual trip as part of the park's star pary program.
      Any
      > member can participate, and dues are only $27 the first year. (OK,
      > that's it on the selling.)
      >
      > By the way Vic, a belated congratulations on the award. Our board
      had
      > a vote on the award, and you were a slam dunk. Most members knew
      about
      > your contributions as a business owner, but when they heard about
      your
      > involvement with the parks, they were really on board. You've done a
      > lot for a lot of groups, including ours, and it's good to see that
      it
      > gets noticed.
      >
      > Mark Stafforini
      > Benicia, CA
      > SV115 No. 21
    • stellarvue1
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
        Mark:

        Thank you so much. There are many sterling observers in Northern
        California and to be recognized by all the groups that make up the
        AANC is a true honor. So I thank all of you out there.

        I agree that we must refrain from setting up any more Stellartrips
        where we coordinate the event. We just cannot do this and handle
        ongoing production. Yosemite would be a nice trip but people who
        participate must handle their own meals. That is really the issue
        with Hidden Lakes. It takes a full week of prep just to do meals and
        so we must refrain from doing that. So it is great to have people
        like Troy and yourself willing to take this over. Like Steve Pitt,
        Jim and all the folks at Joshua Tree. They do a great job and while
        Jan and I can attend, it does not mean a week out of the schedule.

        So many Stellartrips...so little time.

        Reminds me, I need to look at the Southern Sky poll and see if it is
        Chile or Australia for next year!

        Vic Maris

      • k75jim@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
          Mark,

          Great report! I wish I could have been there with my 102V.

          Clear, dark skies,

          Jim S.
          Redlands, CA

        • p david elosser
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
            > Great report!  I wish I could have been there with my 102V.
            >
            > Jim S.
            Amen to that!!
            David E

          • k75jim@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2005
              In a message dated 9/1/2005 07:39:51 Pacific Daylight Time,
              vic@... writes:

              "...I need to look at the Southern Sky poll and see if it is
              Chile or Australia for next year!"

              After two days at our house we've sent off our Aussie friends on "drive
              about" in the U.S. for six weeks. They gave me a suggested time and itinerary
              for the best conditions. I'll be contacting some of the astronomy clubs down
              under to fill in the gaps and report back to the group.

              Anyone working on Chile?

              Jim S.
              Redlands, CA

            • Mark Stafforini
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                > After two days at our house we've sent off our Aussie friends on
                "drive
                > about" in the U.S. for six weeks. They gave me a suggested time and
                itinerary
                > for the best conditions. I'll be contacting some of the astronomy
                clubs down
                > under to fill in the gaps and report back to the group.
                >
                > Anyone working on Chile?
                >
                > Jim S.
                > Redlands, CA

                Jim,

                I found this Web site, which gives an idea of what a trip might be like.

                http://astronomicaltours.net/index.html

                I also need to contact someone who was just down there in April to
                see what he thought. I'll work on that.

                Mark Stafforini
                Benicia, CA
              • k75jim@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2005
                  In a message dated 9/2/2005 08:37:08 Pacific Daylight Time,
                  mstafforini@... writes:

                  I also need to contact someone who was just down there in April to
                  see what he thought. I'll work on that.

                  Mark,

                  That's great. I've got some URL's for several aussie astro clubs and will
                  be contacting them over the next week or so.

                  I'm figuring that a possible 7 to 8 day itinerary might include seeing a bit
                  of Sidney & Canberra, three solid nights observing near Parkes (where there
                  are some professional observatory facilities), a tour of Rosemount winery in
                  the Hunter Valley and back to Sidney.

                  And if neither Chile or Australia comes off, there's always Yosemite or
                  maybe Jeff's place down in Texas. And Anders and Klaus recommended the Canary
                  Islands.

                  Clear, dark skies,

                  Jim S.
                  Redlands, CA