Re: What astronomy software do you use?

  • cedarman320
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "kevin201125" <mathe43@c...> wrote:

      > Been using the free TheSky software that came with the scope. What
      > software do you prefer? TheSky, Deepsky, Stella 2000. etc.
      > Just curious.

      Mark,

      Plenty of great software out their...like scopes and eyepieces, a lot
      of what you like may simply be personal preference.

      It is well worth checking out the freeware program "Cartes du Ciel":

      http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/index.html

      It is as powerful and full-featured as many of the
      planetarium/charting programs out there. Only costs you a little
      time if you don't like it, and it may serve your needs. Also a very
      nice freeware lunar charting program from the same source:

      http://astrosurf.com/avl/UK_index.html

      and a Yahoo Group for discussion of the product:

      Rick
    • Steve Childers
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
        If you own a Palm Pilot, I recommend Planetarium:

        http://www.aho.ch/pilotplanets/

        While not as full-featured as the larger PC programs, it has the
        enormous advantage
        that it goes with you to the eyepiece. No more printing charts or
        lugging laptops:

        http://www.cloudynights.com/software/palm.htm

        Steve

        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "kevin201125" <mathe43@c...> wrote:

        > Been using the free TheSky software that came with the scope. What
        > software do you prefer? TheSky, Deepsky, Stella 2000. etc.
        > Just curious.
        >
        > Mark
      • Darren Hennig
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
          I use SKyChart III, myself. What I like about the software is that it has some very accurate algorithms, and also has some very cool additional features, like "find configuration". This feature allows one to predict occultations, eclipses and transits based on the angular distances of objects in the sky. ANY two objects can be used within its database [configurable and can be added to (comets, asteriods, new planetoids, whatever)] for this feature.

          It was one of the first programs to do a good job with chart prints, though most of them do a great job now, too. Flat maps of planets can be imported and used in lieu of its default maps. This has the advantage of optimizing, for example, a Jovian map to allow the program to display the correct position of the GRS when its Sys II longitude varies.

          I like it, and it isn't that expensive. Around US$50 currently, I believe.

          Darren.

        • Jim Carpenter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
            Or, if you own a PocketWin-based PDA, there's TheSky Pocket Edition.
            Like Steve says, these PDA software packages are great tools in the
            field. They will never replace the desktop software for planning
            observing sessions, etc., but when using TheSkyPE I seldom have to
            refer to printed charts while observing.

            I use SkyMap and SkyMap Pro as desktop programs.

            Jim
            Denver

            --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Childers" <schilders@t...>
            wrote:
            > If you own a Palm Pilot, I recommend Planetarium:
            >
            > http://www.aho.ch/pilotplanets/
            >
            > While not as full-featured as the larger PC programs, it has the
            > enormous advantage
            > that it goes with you to the eyepiece. No more printing charts or
            > lugging laptops:
            >
            > http://www.cloudynights.com/software/palm.htm
            >
            > Steve
            >

            > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "kevin201125" <mathe43@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Been using the free TheSky software that came with the scope. What
            > > software do you prefer? TheSky, Deepsky, Stella 2000. etc.
            > > Just curious.
            > >
            > > Mark
          • Sam DiRocco
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
              I use a combination of a few different programs. I use Starry Night
              for my desktop and to begin my planning. I use Astroplanner for
              making up my actual plans for the night and then I use TheSky in the
              field for telescope control.

              Sam D

            • mistermgd@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
                In a message dated 7/1/2004 3:17:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                mondior@... writes:

                I use a combination of a few different programs. I use Starry Night
                for my desktop and to begin my planning. I use Astroplanner for
                making up my actual plans for the night and then I use TheSky in the
                field for telescope control.

                Sam D

                I have used some desktops like Starry Nights. But my favorite is 2 Sky on my
                Palm. Very easy to use. And with 2 Red, you can turn your Palm display to
                red. Works very nicely with my T3.

                Mark

              • David
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
                  --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, mistermgd@a... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 7/1/2004 3:17:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  > mondior@z... writes:
                  >
                  > I use a combination of a few different programs. I use Starry
                  Night
                  > for my desktop and to begin my planning. I use Astroplanner for
                  > making up my actual plans for the night and then I use TheSky in
                  the
                  > field for telescope control.
                  >
                  > Sam D
                  >

                  > I have used some desktops like Starry Nights. But my favorite is 2
                  Sky on my
                  > Palm. Very easy to use. And with 2 Red, you can turn your Palm
                  display to
                  > red. Works very nicely with my T3.
                  >
                  > Mark

                  When the question was first asked I was thinking desktop/laptop
                  astro programs not handheld. I should have mentioned 2Sky which is
                  the program I use the most. The latest version has a choice of color
                  gray or red screen. I even take my palm with me when I walk the
                  dogs.
                • pa_rambler
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2004
                    Hi all--
                    I used to use Planetarium on my old Palm which was very good even
                    with the monochrome screen. Now I use an Ipaq and just today I got
                    Pocket Stars for Pocket PC from Nomad Electronics--just getting to
                    know it now but a very nice display, nice set of options, even
                    includes some navigation tools. Has red-screen option too. Looks
                    like a good deal for $15.

                    On my desktop I use Starry Night Pro. Has anybody tried Desktop
                    Planetarium--good reviews but very expensive...be interesting to hear
                    if it's worth the high $.

                    Rich

                    --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "David" <z32lunacity@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, mistermgd@a... wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I have used some desktops like Starry Nights. But my favorite is
                    2
                    > Sky on my
                    > > Palm. Very easy to use. And with 2 Red, you can turn your Palm
                    > display to
                    > > red. Works very nicely with my T3.
                    > >
                    > > Mark
                    > >

                    > When the question was first asked I was thinking desktop/laptop
                    > astro programs not handheld. I should have mentioned 2Sky which is
                    > the program I use the most. The latest version has a choice of
                    color
                    > gray or red screen. I even take my palm with me when I walk the
                    > dogs.
                  • Barry Carter
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2004
                      Well, I was sold on Pocket Sky; used on my Casio Pocket PC. But
                      then I jumped from a Palm m130 to a Palm T3. Suddenly
                      Planetarium "was alive!". Since then, I have not even looked at
                      Pocket Sky, as Planetarium on the T3 is awesome on the 340x480
                      screen; especially in the landscape view. I also like ability to
                      input your own object data directly into Palm, where Pocket Sky
                      requires going though Sky on your Mother PC. Pocket Sky is long
                      overdue for an upgrade, and now that Sky 6 is done, maybe that might
                      happen. But IMO, today, Planetarium is the more useful PDA
                      program. On my laptop, I have The Sky, Cartes du Ciel, and Guide.

                      http://www.barrie-tao.com/astro_photo.html

                      Ciao...Barry

                      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "pa_rambler" <pa_rambler@y...>