Re: SVR80ED Solar Viewing

  • scott_nc
    Message 1 of 21 , May 14, 2012
      Nice pics, David. Nice car, too--my Camry is the same color. I also learned at NEAF that my other car (actually my wife's) is the same make/model/year as Vic's. All I can say is that great minds think alike! :-)
      CS,
      Scott, in NC

      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "DavidB" <z32lunacity@...> wrote:

      > Posted some pictures of my SVR80ED with the Solar Filter in my David B. album.

      > or new photos

      > The SVR80ED hood measures 3 61/64" but there is enough screw length for the smallest #ABZE ( 4 1/16" ID ) which is listed as fitting the 80mm ZenithStar/Express/Sentinal clones of the NH II.
      >
      > http://scopestuff.com/ss_azsf.htm
      >
      > When I spoke to ScopeStuff owner Jim on Friday 5/11 he still had stock on the filters listed but they were sold out of the BAADER AstroSolar Filter Material sheets.
      >
      > CS
      >
      > David B.
      >
      > Pen Argyl, PA

    • DavidB
      Message 2 of 21 , May 14, 2012
        Scott,

        That 1999 Camry was my mother-in-law's before she gave up driving there are a lot of them on the road but how many with only 59,000 original miles? As for great minds didn't do much thinking re: that car. We decided at 91 she was a danger to the other occupants of the wonderful New Jersey Highways and took away her keys. What does your wife drive? I thought Vic's car would be something with a retractable roof not something one of us mere mortals would drive! ;^)

        CS

        David B.

        Pen Argyl, PA

        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "scott_nc" <ssatko@...> wrote:

        > Nice pics, David. Nice car, too--my Camry is the same color. I also learned at NEAF that my other car (actually my wife's) is the same make/model/year as Vic's. All I can say is that great minds think alike! :-)
        > CS,
        > Scott, in NC
        >
        > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "DavidB" <z32lunacity@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Posted some pictures of my SVR80ED with the Solar Filter in my David B. album.

        > > or new photos

        > > The SVR80ED hood measures 3 61/64" but there is enough screw length for the smallest #ABZE ( 4 1/16" ID ) which is listed as fitting the 80mm ZenithStar/Express/Sentinal clones of the NH II.
        > >
        > > http://scopestuff.com/ss_azsf.htm
        > >
        > > When I spoke to ScopeStuff owner Jim on Friday 5/11 he still had stock on the filters listed but they were sold out of the BAADER AstroSolar Filter Material sheets.
        > >
        > > CS
        > >
        > > David B.
        > >
        > > Pen Argyl, PA

      • Norman Breedon
        Message 3 of 21 , May 14, 2012
          David,
          All this talk of Camrys has me chuckling.
          My son in law is driving our ex 1992 Camry with 220k plus miles on it, my daughter drives our "old" 2003 Camry and my wife has a 2011 Camry. I'm forced to drive my 1998 Tacoma but my SV purchases have made up for not having a newer vehicle ;-)
          Talk about great minds!

          CS, Norman.

          That 1999 Camry was my mother-in-law's before she gave up driving there are a lot of them on the road but how many with only 59,000 original miles? As for great minds didn't do much thinking re: that car. We decided at 91 she was a danger to the other occupants of the wonderful New Jersey Highways and took away her keys. What does your wife drive? I thought Vic's car would be something with a retractable roof not something one of us mere mortals would drive! ;^)

          CS

          David B.

          Pen Argyl, PA

          --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "scott_nc" <ssatko@...> wrote:

          > Nice pics, David. Nice car, too--my Camry is the same color. I also learned at NEAF that my other car (actually my wife's) is the same make/model/year as Vic's. All I can say is that great minds think alike! :-)
          > CS,
          > Scott, in NC
          >
          > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "DavidB" <z32lunacity@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Posted some pictures of my SVR80ED with the Solar Filter in my David B. album.

          > > or new photos

          > > The SVR80ED hood measures 3 61/64" but there is enough screw length for the smallest #ABZE ( 4 1/16" ID ) which is listed as fitting the 80mm ZenithStar/Express/Sentinal clones of the NH II.
          > >
          > > http://scopestuff.com/ss_azsf.htm
          > >
          > > When I spoke to ScopeStuff owner Jim on Friday 5/11 he still had stock on the filters listed but they were sold out of the BAADER AstroSolar Filter Material sheets.
          > >
          > > CS
          > >
          > > David B.
          > >
          > > Pen Argyl, PA

        • DavidB
          Message 4 of 21 , May 14, 2012
            Norman,

            I drive a 1999 Subaru Forester, gets me down the road just fine. My SV gear could have been a nice shinny new car or two but those cars would have gotten old and dented and junked long before even my oldest scope actually needed to be replaced cause it wore out. I still have the first real scope I bought a 6" f/8 dob and it pushing 20yrs old still works just fine looks as good as a cardboard tube dob can look. Ain't pretty but it sure can cook. :-)

            David B.

            Pen Argyl, PA

            --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Norman Breedon <breedon@...> wrote:

            > David,
            > All this talk of Camrys has me chuckling.
            > My son in law is driving our ex 1992 Camry with 220k plus miles on it, my daughter drives our "old" 2003 Camry and my wife has a 2011 Camry. I'm forced to drive my 1998 Tacoma but my SV purchases have made up for not having a newer vehicle ;-)
            > Talk about great minds!
            >
            > CS, Norman.

          • scott_nc
            Message 5 of 21 , May 14, 2012
              David,
              I like your way of thinking. And here's some food for thought: the day you drive your nice shiny new car off the lot, it automatically depreciates approximately the same amount as a brand new SV115T would cost. 8-0
              CS,
              Scott, in NC

              --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "DavidB" <z32lunacity@...> wrote:

              > Norman,
              >
              > I drive a 1999 Subaru Forester, gets me down the road just fine. My SV gear could have been a nice shinny new car or two but those cars would have gotten old and dented and junked long before even my oldest scope actually needed to be replaced cause it wore out. I still have the first real scope I bought a 6" f/8 dob and it pushing 20yrs old still works just fine looks as good as a cardboard tube dob can look. Ain't pretty but it sure can cook. :-)
              >
              > David B.
              >
              > Pen Argyl, PA
              >
              > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Norman Breedon <breedon@> wrote:
              > >
              > > David,
              > > All this talk of Camrys has me chuckling.
              > > My son in law is driving our ex 1992 Camry with 220k plus miles on it, my daughter drives our "old" 2003 Camry and my wife has a 2011 Camry. I'm forced to drive my 1998 Tacoma but my SV purchases have made up for not having a newer vehicle ;-)
              > > Talk about great minds!
              > >
              > > CS, Norman.

            • oak_conkers
              Message 6 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                Well here we go, I left school at the tender age of 15 and went into a apprenticeship as a auto mechanic, this would be in 1965, since then I,ve spent all my working life as a mechanic in one form or another, both in the military on aircraft (RAF) and as a industrial mechanic.
                Anyway to each his own but modern vehicles are total junk, the manufacturer is not allowed to make a car the way he wants, instead
                he has to comply with a load of half witted government regulations before he can even bolt anything together.
                The older vehicles could be trouble shooted and maintained, repaired by anyone with an inkling of mechanical aptitude and without spending a fortune, heck the insurance companies are writing 4 yr old cars off now because of the cost of replaceing the ten or more airbags that have fired, as said before, we all drive them in one form or another but modern vehicles are throw away society junk,now a telescope has stayed the same for decades, minor improvements maybe but the basic design whether its a newt,cat or refractor has remained unchanged, built to last a lifetime, however a vehicle will be in the scrapyard a decade or two down the road, now everyone say after me - JUNK, Dave.
                --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "scott_nc" <ssatko@...> wrote:

                > David,
                > I like your way of thinking. And here's some food for thought: the day you drive your nice shiny new car off the lot, it automatically depreciates approximately the same amount as a brand new SV115T would cost. 8-0
                > CS,
                > Scott, in NC
                >
                > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "DavidB" <z32lunacity@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Norman,
                > >
                > > I drive a 1999 Subaru Forester, gets me down the road just fine. My SV gear could have been a nice shinny new car or two but those cars would have gotten old and dented and junked long before even my oldest scope actually needed to be replaced cause it wore out. I still have the first real scope I bought a 6" f/8 dob and it pushing 20yrs old still works just fine looks as good as a cardboard tube dob can look. Ain't pretty but it sure can cook. :-)
                > >
                > > David B.
                > >
                > > Pen Argyl, PA
                > >
                > > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Norman Breedon <breedon@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > David,
                > > > All this talk of Camrys has me chuckling.
                > > > My son in law is driving our ex 1992 Camry with 220k plus miles on it, my daughter drives our "old" 2003 Camry and my wife has a 2011 Camry. I'm forced to drive my 1998 Tacoma but my SV purchases have made up for not having a newer vehicle ;-)
                > > > Talk about great minds!
                > > >
                > > > CS, Norman.

              • Scott in NC
                Message 7 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                  Well, my 2 Japanese cars (Honda and Toyota) are 10 and 11 years old and have made it 150K and 130K miles respectively (knock on wood), and my wife and I plan to keep driving them until they croak. But Dave, you're right--I still don't have the confidence in their quality that I do for my SV scopes!
                  CS,
                  Scott, in NC

                  Well here we go, I left school at the tender age of 15 and went into a apprenticeship as a auto mechanic, this would be in 1965, since then I,ve spent all my working life as a mechanic in one form or another, both in the military on aircraft (RAF) and as a industrial mechanic.
                  Anyway to each his own but modern vehicles are total junk, the manufacturer is not allowed to make a car the way he wants, instead
                  he has to comply with a load of half witted government regulations before he can even bolt anything together.
                  The older vehicles could be trouble shooted and maintained, repaired by anyone with an inkling of mechanical aptitude and without spending a fortune, heck the insurance companies are writing 4 yr old cars off now because of the cost of replaceing the ten or more airbags that have fired, as said before, we all drive them in one form or another but modern vehicles are throw away society junk,now a telescope has stayed the same for decades, minor improvements maybe but the basic design whether its a newt,cat or refractor has remained unchanged, built to last a lifetime, however a vehicle will be in the scrapyard a decade or two down the road, now everyone say after me - JUNK, Dave.
                  --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "scott_nc" <ssatko@...> wrote:

                  > David,
                  > I like your way of thinking. And here's some food for thought: the day you drive your nice shiny new car off the lot, it automatically depreciates approximately the same amount as a brand new SV115T would cost. 8-0
                  > CS,
                  > Scott, in NC
                  >
                  > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "DavidB" <z32lunacity@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Norman,
                  > >
                  > > I drive a 1999 Subaru Forester, gets me down the road just fine. My SV gear could have been a nice shinny new car or two but those cars would have gotten old and dented and junked long before even my oldest scope actually needed to be replaced cause it wore out. I still have the first real scope I bought a 6" f/8 dob and it pushing 20yrs old still works just fine looks as good as a cardboard tube dob can look. Ain't pretty but it sure can cook. :-)
                  > >
                  > > David B.
                  > >
                  > > Pen Argyl, PA
                  > >
                  > > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Norman Breedon <breedon@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > David,
                  > > > All this talk of Camrys has me chuckling.
                  > > > My son in law is driving our ex 1992 Camry with 220k plus miles on it, my daughter drives our "old" 2003 Camry and my wife has a 2011 Camry. I'm forced to drive my 1998 Tacoma but my SV purchases have made up for not having a newer vehicle ;-)
                  > > > Talk about great minds!
                  > > > CS, Norman.

                • David and Sharon Elosser
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                    I have a great little GMC Sonoma, 1996 model, with some body issues but
                    great powertrain. I've been thinking about fixing it up as a Stellarvue
                    tranport/observatory, if I can just figure out the right RPM to get the
                    truck to track in sidereal time.

                    David E

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                      Haha, David! BTW, did anyone catch the ad for the Observa-Mobile on Astromart a few months back? I don't know if the ad is still up or not, but I'll see if I can find a link.
                      CS,
                      Scott, in NC

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                        Here are a couple of mobile observatories, for the astronomer who already has everything else they could possibly want (one has been sold; the other looks like it may still be on the market):

                        http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=767828

                        http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=767262

                        Clear skies (and if they're not, just drive your observatory to where they are!),
                        Scott, in NC

                        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Scott in NC <ssatko@...> wrote:

                        > Haha, David! BTW, did anyone catch the ad for the Observa-Mobile on Astromart a few months back? I don't know if the ad is still up or not, but I'll see if I can find a link.
                        > CS,
                        > Scott, in NC

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                          Now these guys may be on to something here.?????

                          Sent from my iPad

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                            Well if Vic used the same gauge metal for his optical tubes the car makers use for the body on today's cars....

                            David B.

                            Pen Argyl, PA

                          • oak_conkers
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 14, 2012
                              David about 6 weeks ago I bought a small GMC truck, new,been back to the shop twice already, leaking front strut and a bad tire, my scopes,hundreds of millions of light years on them , never a peep of trouble,however I do find them a bit twitchy when the light pollution gets bad, Dave.