Re: SV110ed for Narrow Band imaging

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8 6:09 AM
      Quentin,

      The SV110ED would serve you very well for narrow-band imaging. When dealing with a narrow spectral range, an APO objective is irrelevant. Jim Ferreira has done some very fine work with hydrogen alpha imaging with his SV102, so it is definitely viable.

      The 110 is a very capable semi-APO that will give a good account of itself with monochrome imaging as well. Things are a bit more complicated with color, for while the instrument is very well-corrected for visual use, the wider sensitivity of a composite color camera chip can pose some issues with respect to precision color balance.

      Ralph

      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "qgunther" <qgunther@...> wrote:

      > My skies are rough now that a Super Walmart opened up down the road and as I would like to get back to some kind of imaging I am thinking narrowband.
      > Having read that an APO is not as critical for HA, OIII, and SII I am looking at the SV110ed for narrowband imaging.
      > Any thoughts from the group as to using this scope for this purpose? Is the argument valid that an APO is not as critical for this purpose?
      > Would love to purchase a SV105 but it is completely out of the budget. Sad thing is I owned one and sold it during my down time from back surgery. Got bumed out during the long recovery but the skies are calling me again!
      > Thanks,
      > Quentin

    • Quentin Gunther
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8 6:27 PM
        Ralph,
        Thanks for the feedback. I will give Vic a call to check availability in the am.
        Quentin

        Sent from my iPad
      • Jonathan Talbot
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19 7:37 PM
          Hi Quentin,

          Ralph answered your question but I would like to also throw my two cents in. The answer is when imaging with narrow band filters, APO's or ACHROMAT's work just fine. It more depends upon the quality of the scope than anything else since the narrow band filter spectral range is very small. The 110 will work just fine.

          Jon Talbot