Herschel Wedge with Nighthawk Aplanat?

  • llcalderone
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2012
      Greetings,
      Perhaps this is a dumb question -- but is it safe to use a Herschel Wedge with a Nighthawk Aplanat? The lens is air-spaced not oil-spaced, correct?

      I have my eye on a Lunt Herschel Wedge, and Astronomics advises "should only be used with air-spaced refractor telescopes under 150mm in aperture. In addition, the refractor must not have a corrector lens or lenses at the back, such as found in a Petzval-type scope." Don't want to hurt the 'scope or my vision!

      Many thanks!
      Laura
      SV110 and Nighthawk Aplanat
    • oak_conkers
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 31, 2012
        Its an air spaced doublet so it should be fine however the thought of pouring unfiltered sun light through a scope has always bothered me, probably being a tad over reactive I know, Dave.

        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > Perhaps this is a dumb question -- but is it safe to use a Herschel Wedge with a Nighthawk Aplanat? The lens is air-spaced not oil-spaced, correct?
        >
        > I have my eye on a Lunt Herschel Wedge, and Astronomics advises "should only be used with air-spaced refractor telescopes under 150mm in aperture. In addition, the refractor must not have a corrector lens or lenses at the back, such as found in a Petzval-type scope." Don't want to hurt the 'scope or my vision!
        >
        > Many thanks!
        > Laura
        > SV110 and Nighthawk Aplanat

      • scott_nc
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 31, 2012
          Hi Laura,
          Not a dumb question at all! In fact, when dealing with solar viewing, safety is always the top priority, and as a consequence, no question is too dumb to ask, IMO! The NH Aplanat is an 80mm air-spaced doublet achromat, with both objective lenses up near the front of the scope, so you shouldn't have any problems with the Herschel Wedge. Happy solar viewing!
          Clear skies,
          Scott, in NC

          --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          > Perhaps this is a dumb question -- but is it safe to use a Herschel Wedge with a Nighthawk Aplanat? The lens is air-spaced not oil-spaced, correct?
          >
          > I have my eye on a Lunt Herschel Wedge, and Astronomics advises "should only be used with air-spaced refractor telescopes under 150mm in aperture. In addition, the refractor must not have a corrector lens or lenses at the back, such as found in a Petzval-type scope." Don't want to hurt the 'scope or my vision!
          >
          > Many thanks!
          > Laura
          > SV110 and Nighthawk Aplanat

        • Peter Markwort
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 31, 2012
            Since you already indicated that you either don�t trust or belief what
            Astronomics, being a reputable Astro equipment dealer advises, what makes
            you trust or belief that a private member of this forum can be trusted or
            believed?

            In a fleeting moment this thought came to my mind. If I would like to know
            anything about a Porsche I would ask a Porsche Dealer, not a member of the
            Porsche Driver forum. I would do the very same about a Solar Scope setup,
            especially since you only have two mistakes you can make.

            Therefore I looked up the Lunt website and I am sending you their phone #.
            Telephone: 1-877-344-7348
            Telephone: 520-344-7348
            Fax: (520) 344-7352
            e-mail: sales@...

            I am not sure, but I belief these guys might have an inkling as to what
            they are talking about.

            Also, it is very sad, to see the order of your concerns.

            �You don�t want to hurt the scope or your vision.� So your vision seems to
            be secondary???

            Peter

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 31, 2012
              Well, good day to you too, Peter!

              I trust Astronomics. I believe that I made this clear -- I was asking this group if the Nighthawk had an air-spaced lens design. I thought this group was for all things Stellarvue?

              I would not expect Lunt or Astronomics to answer a question about the lens design on a Stellarvue telescope.

              What I didn't say was that someone in my local club was making bino filters for members and then discovered pin holes in the solar film. This made me nervous about buying or using a film filter, and in fact underlined just how careful one needs to be in solar viewing.

              No need to be rude or condescending. Did your Porsche break down or something?

              Laura

              --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Peter Markwort <petermarkwort@...> wrote:

              > Since you already indicated that you either don't trust or belief what
              > Astronomics, being a reputable Astro equipment dealer advises, what makes
              > you trust or belief that a private member of this forum can be trusted or
              > believed?
              >

              > In a fleeting moment this thought came to my mind. If I would like to know
              > anything about a Porsche I would ask a Porsche Dealer, not a member of the
              > Porsche Driver forum. I would do the very same about a Solar Scope setup,
              > especially since you only have two mistakes you can make.
              >

              > Therefore I looked up the Lunt website and I am sending you their phone #.
              > Telephone: 1-877-344-7348
              > Telephone: 520-344-7348
              > Fax: (520) 344-7352
              > e-mail: sales@...
              >

              > I am not sure, but I belief these guys might have an inkling as to what
              > they are talking about.
              >

              > Also, it is very sad, to see the order of your concerns.
              >

              > `You don't want to hurt the scope or your vision.' So your vision seems to
              > be secondary???
              >

              > Peter
              >

              > On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM, llcalderone <lcaldero505@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Greetings,
              > > Perhaps this is a dumb question -- but is it safe to use a Herschel Wedge
              > > with a Nighthawk Aplanat? The lens is air-spaced not oil-spaced, correct?
              > >
              > > I have my eye on a Lunt Herschel Wedge, and Astronomics advises "should
              > > only be used with air-spaced refractor telescopes under 150mm in aperture.
              > > In addition, the refractor must not have a corrector lens or lenses at the
              > > back, such as found in a Petzval-type scope." Don't want to hurt the 'scope
              > > or my vision!
              > >
              > > Many thanks!
              > > Laura
              > > SV110 and Nighthawk Aplanat

            • Jeff (also aka: StarGeezer)
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 31, 2012
                Laura:

                As long as it's air-spaced, has no corrector / flattenr at the back (or other glass in the light path), you're okay. There are no plastic parts in SV scopes to melt ...

                I have a few hundred hours' solar observing with a Baader Herschel Wedge on my Nighthawk Classic without any ill effects.

                What color is your OTA? The reason I ask, is that the darker blue and black colors will warm up from the ambient light and that will cause tube currents to rob the image of detail. Some very fine detail will be visible using a wedge with a solar continuum filter, especially around the active regions and you're likely to lose that if the tube itself gets warm enough for tube currents to set in.

                I experimented with wrapping my OTA in aluminum foil and it did actually improve things. I later switched to a white OTA and no longer needed the foil. I've also used a windshield heat deflector (plastic, made of something like aluminized bubble wrap) to good effect. They're easy to cut to fit (just wrap around the tube and secure with a velcro strap).

                Note that with unfiltered light coming in through the objective, the air in the tube will heat up some anyway, but I haven't found this to be much of a problem because the herschel wedge design itself is open to the outside air. I played around some with a PC fan added to the back of my filter and it didn't improve the image noticeably.

                I think you'll be fine.

                Do take care where the light exits the wedge ... even though it's been "dumbed down" a bit by the screen, it's still awfully bright and you want to direct it where no one will be tempted to look up inside at it.

                Jeff Barton

              • vic@stellarvue.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 31, 2012
                  Laura:

                  All Nighthawks were made with air spaced lenses.

                  I share your concern about solar filters. One should be very careful. I am impressed with the people at Lunt and refer my customers to them often.

                  Let me know if there is any other information you need.

                  Thanks

                  Vic Maris

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1 6:07 AM
                    I saw nothing wrong with your question Laura,unusual to get a rude response on this group however I hope you find the info you need,Dave.

                    --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@...> wrote:

                    > Well, good day to you too, Peter!
                    >
                    > I trust Astronomics. I believe that I made this clear -- I was asking this group if the Nighthawk had an air-spaced lens design. I thought this group was for all things Stellarvue?
                    >
                    > I would not expect Lunt or Astronomics to answer a question about the lens design on a Stellarvue telescope.
                    >
                    > What I didn't say was that someone in my local club was making bino filters for members and then discovered pin holes in the solar film. This made me nervous about buying or using a film filter, and in fact underlined just how careful one needs to be in solar viewing.
                    >
                    > No need to be rude or condescending. Did your Porsche break down or something?
                    >
                    > Laura
                    >

                    > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Peter Markwort <petermarkwort@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Since you already indicated that you either don't trust or belief what
                    > > Astronomics, being a reputable Astro equipment dealer advises, what makes
                    > > you trust or belief that a private member of this forum can be trusted or
                    > > believed?
                    > >

                    > > In a fleeting moment this thought came to my mind. If I would like to know
                    > > anything about a Porsche I would ask a Porsche Dealer, not a member of the
                    > > Porsche Driver forum. I would do the very same about a Solar Scope setup,
                    > > especially since you only have two mistakes you can make.
                    > >

                    > > Therefore I looked up the Lunt website and I am sending you their phone #.
                    > > Telephone: 1-877-344-7348
                    > > Telephone: 520-344-7348
                    > > Fax: (520) 344-7352
                    > > e-mail: sales@
                    > >

                    > > I am not sure, but I belief these guys might have an inkling as to what
                    > > they are talking about.
                    > >

                    > > Also, it is very sad, to see the order of your concerns.
                    > >

                    > > `You don't want to hurt the scope or your vision.' So your vision seems to
                    > > be secondary???
                    > >

                    > > Peter
                    > >

                    > > On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM, llcalderone <lcaldero505@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Greetings,
                    > > > Perhaps this is a dumb question -- but is it safe to use a Herschel Wedge
                    > > > with a Nighthawk Aplanat? The lens is air-spaced not oil-spaced, correct?
                    > > >
                    > > > I have my eye on a Lunt Herschel Wedge, and Astronomics advises "should
                    > > > only be used with air-spaced refractor telescopes under 150mm in aperture.
                    > > > In addition, the refractor must not have a corrector lens or lenses at the
                    > > > back, such as found in a Petzval-type scope." Don't want to hurt the 'scope
                    > > > or my vision!
                    > > >
                    > > > Many thanks!
                    > > > Laura
                    > > > SV110 and Nighthawk Aplanat

                  • DavidB
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 1 12:21 PM
                      Dave,
                      Yow, where did that crap come from? Like you saw nothing wrong with Laura's question. The simple answer is "Either scope she owns can use a Herschal Wedge without being damaged" Laura just be sure the one you order is for visual use. I don't know if this is the case with the Herschel Wedge you are looking at but with the Baader Herschel Wedge there are two versions one for visual and one for imageing .

                      CS

                      David B.

                      Pen Argyl, PA

                    • David and Sharon Elosser
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 1 1:07 PM
                        > with the Herschel Wedge you are looking at but with the Baader Herschel
                        > Wedge there are two versions one for visual >and one for imageing .

                        This is also true with some white light solar filters. Baader film also
                        comes in visual and imaging. The imaging versions should not be use visually
                        as they pass more sunlight that might be damaging to the eye.

                        David E
                      • Sarah
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 1 8:35 PM
                          --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@...> wrote:
                          Laura,

                          You asked a question and got an answer YOU didn't like.
                          Maybe you should Google it instead of being rude to the person who gave you an answer.

                          Sarah

                          > Well, good day to you too, Peter!
                          >
                          > I trust Astronomics. I believe that I made this clear -- I was asking this group if the Nighthawk had an air-spaced lens design. I thought this group was for all things Stellarvue?
                          >
                          > I would not expect Lunt or Astronomics to answer a question about the lens design on a Stellarvue telescope.
                          >
                          > What I didn't say was that someone in my local club was making bino filters for members and then discovered pin holes in the solar film. This made me nervous about buying or using a film filter, and in fact underlined just how careful one needs to be in solar viewing.
                          >
                          > No need to be rude or condescending. Did your Porsche break down or something?
                          >
                          > Laura
                        • astrogeezer41
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 1 9:10 PM
                            I saw nothing wrong with Laura's question either. And it seems to me that we (usually) are a group that is quite happy to help with questions like hers.

                            That has always been my experience.

                            Robert
                            Spring Valley, IL

                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 1 11:19 PM
                              No Sarah she did not get an answer to her question. Maybe you should read what Peter wrote before calling Laura rude.

                              David B.

                              Pen Argyl, PA

                              --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <SarahHAddams@...> wrote:

                              > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@> wrote:
                              > Laura,
                              >
                              > You asked a question and got an answer YOU didn't like.
                              > Maybe you should Google it instead of being rude to the person who gave you an answer.
                              >
                              > Sarah
                              >
                              > > Well, good day to you too, Peter!
                              > >
                              > > I trust Astronomics. I believe that I made this clear -- I was asking this group if the Nighthawk had an air-spaced lens design. I thought this group was for all things Stellarvue?
                              > >
                              > > I would not expect Lunt or Astronomics to answer a question about the lens design on a Stellarvue telescope.
                              > >
                              > > What I didn't say was that someone in my local club was making bino filters for members and then discovered pin holes in the solar film. This made me nervous about buying or using a film filter, and in fact underlined just how careful one needs to be in solar viewing.
                              > >
                              > > No need to be rude or condescending. Did your Porsche break down or something?
                              > >
                              > > Laura

                            • oak_conkers
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 2 5:57 AM
                                Well to be honest Sarah, the reply Laura received for her query was to say the least rather blunt and certainly lacking in humour,I,ve always found this group unlike others to be rather friendly and good humoured, once in a while someone gets their knickers in a twist but by and large everyone rubs along, lets hope it stays that way? and doesn,t become a "bickering" group, JMTCW, DaveA.

                              • vic@stellarvue.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 2 7:16 AM
                                  Dave

                                  Agreed. We need to move on. I like the way this group self moderates to keep things positive and helpful. While anyone can have a bad day and reply in a way they may later regret, it makes far more sense to keep it positive. In the past, some groups on the Internet have been taken over by negativity. It has been attempted here before and failed. I could write a book. So cudos to all of you who keep it real.

                                  But seriously Dave, I think you may have hit on another clothing idea, twist less knickers. We'll have to add that to the long list of clothing items recently suggested.

                                  One thing is for sure. This group has limitless ideas on how I can spend money. For those who have made clothing suggestions, send your checks to Vic Maris. I think that $1,000 should cover each clothing idea, $10,000 each accessory idea and $50,000 for every telescope idea. Preston: just email me your pin number.

                                  Vic Maris

                                  --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "oak_conkers" <oak_conkers@...> wrote:

                                  > Well to be honest Sarah, the reply Laura received for her query was to say the least rather blunt and certainly lacking in humour,I,ve always found this group unlike others to be rather friendly and good humoured, once in a while someone gets their knickers in a twist but by and large everyone rubs along, lets hope it stays that way? and doesn,t become a "bickering" group, JMTCW, DaveA.
                                  >
                                  > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "Sarah" <SarahHAddams@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@> wrote:
                                  > > Laura,
                                  > >
                                  > > You asked a question and got an answer YOU didn't like.
                                  > > Maybe you should Google it instead of being rude to the person who gave you an answer.
                                  > >
                                  > > Sarah
                                  > >
                                  > > > Well, good day to you too, Peter!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I trust Astronomics. I believe that I made this clear -- I was asking this group if the Nighthawk had an air-spaced lens design. I thought this group was for all things Stellarvue?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I would not expect Lunt or Astronomics to answer a question about the lens design on a Stellarvue telescope.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > What I didn't say was that someone in my local club was making bino filters for members and then discovered pin holes in the solar film. This made me nervous about buying or using a film filter, and in fact underlined just how careful one needs to be in solar viewing.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > No need to be rude or condescending. Did your Porsche break down or something?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Laura

                                • scott_nc
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 2 8:16 AM
                                    Vic,
                                    I like your idea for the "twist-less knickers." The only problem is that there are very few people on this group site that need them. Although, now that I think about it, there are some days when I could definitely use a pair to wear at work! There are several other astro group sites out there where you need to advertise them--you could make a killing! And I'm not even going to charge you anything for this unsolicited advice that could possibly help you to retire early! (But I wouldn't say no if you wanted to slip me a SV Planetary or two under the table at NEAF.) ;-)
                                    CS,
                                    Scott, in NC

                                    --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, vic@... wrote:

                                    > Dave
                                    >
                                    > Agreed. We need to move on. I like the way this group self moderates to keep things positive and helpful. While anyone can have a bad day and reply in a way they may later regret, it makes far more sense to keep it positive. In the past, some groups on the Internet have been taken over by negativity. It has been attempted here before and failed. I could write a book. So cudos to all of you who keep it real.
                                    >
                                    > But seriously Dave, I think you may have hit on another clothing idea, twist less knickers. We'll have to add that to the long list of clothing items recently suggested.
                                    >
                                    > One thing is for sure. This group has limitless ideas on how I can spend money. For those who have made clothing suggestions, send your checks to Vic Maris. I think that $1,000 should cover each clothing idea, $10,000 each accessory idea and $50,000 for every telescope idea. Preston: just email me your pin number.
                                    >
                                    > Vic Maris

                                  • flyingpinkpig
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 2 8:20 AM
                                      I agree with the others Laura, there is absolutely NO REASON for anyone to be rude in answering your question. It looks like you got great responses from the great members here on this forum. Please let us know if you get your Herschel Wedge and how it performs!

                                      Mary

                                    • markbagdy
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 2 2:05 PM
                                        Hi Laura, et. al.

                                        I have been using my Lunt White Light Wedge for a year now with both my
                                        SV102ED and now my SV105-3 with wonderful results -- even just received
                                        my pin for Sunspotter Club. After wanting to dabble with photography,
                                        I purchased a very nice Kendrick Baadar film solar filter for the
                                        front/primary. Though not an expert, I would like a little more
                                        comments on the validity of the risks to the SCOPE with a Wedge as
                                        somehow the full energy within the scope will hurt/ruin/etc. it. My
                                        reaction: A scope is designed to NOT absorb photons! Heat in all
                                        spectrum of light is supposed to be transmitted through the scope. Does
                                        anyone have more than gut feel on this? After tracking the sun for a
                                        few hours, my scope is still fairly cool to the touch.

                                        Some thoughts and comparison on the two filters.

                                        Kendrick: Film is fairly tough. With care, will last a long time. I
                                        understand pinholes pose minimal risk (according to the materials
                                        provided with the filter.) About $85, but must be used on a scope with
                                        similar sized objective. Perfect for visual. A bit dark for
                                        photographic (though photographic versions are available).

                                        Wedge: Very well made. IMO, a slightly better visual view. Will work
                                        with a variety of scope objectives as long as they have a 2" focuser.
                                        Must come with more explaination at sun parties!!! FOlks may not
                                        obviously see where the filter is for safe viewing and may "try this at
                                        home." They'll obviously see the Kendrick on the front... Also, needs
                                        an additional ND filter or polarizer for comfortable visual viewing.

                                        Mark

                                        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "flyingpinkpig" <flyingpinkpig@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > I agree with the others Laura, there is absolutely NO REASON for
                                        anyone to be rude in answering your question. It looks like you got
                                        great responses from the great members here on this forum. Please let us
                                        know if you get your Herschel Wedge and how it performs!

                                        > Mary
                                        >

                                        > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "oak_conkers" oak_conkers@ wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I saw nothing wrong with your question Laura,unusual to get a rude
                                        response on this group however I hope you find the info you need,Dave.

                                        > > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@>
                                        wrote:

                                        > > > Well, good day to you too, Peter!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I trust Astronomics. I believe that I made this clear -- I was
                                        asking this group if the Nighthawk had an air-spaced lens design. I
                                        thought this group was for all things Stellarvue?

                                        > > > I would not expect Lunt or Astronomics to answer a question about
                                        the lens design on a Stellarvue telescope.

                                        > > > What I didn't say was that someone in my local club was making
                                        bino filters for members and then discovered pin holes in the solar
                                        film. This made me nervous about buying or using a film filter, and in
                                        fact underlined just how careful one needs to be in solar viewing.

                                        > > > No need to be rude or condescending. Did your Porsche break down
                                        or something?

                                        > > > Laura
                                        > > >

                                        > > > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Peter Markwort <petermarkwort@>

                                        Scope setup,

                                        Herschel Wedge

                                      • llcalderone
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 2 4:40 PM
                                          Thanks for the helpful answers, especially from those who do solar viewing with SV telescopes. Much appreciated!

                                          Laura (wearing twist-less knickers... LOL)
                                        • oak_conkers
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 3 6:31 AM
                                            Laura the first time I became aware of that item of attire was when as a child (and thats a long time ago, believe me) born and living in the county of Yorkshire in the UK, that local sheep farmers would put them on the sheep about the same time as the wool shearing season would start, truth or tall tale? you tell me,get the answer right and I,ll send you your very own sheep.Dave.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 3 8:42 AM
                                              Dave, I don't think Laura really wants any sheep--just a Herschel Wedge, lol. ;-)
                                              CS,
                                              Scott, in NC

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 3 2:46 PM
                                                Scott, wool is nicer next to the skin, anyway I wrap my Naglers in it,this topic is now closed, no offence intended, Dave

                                                --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "scott_nc" <ssatko@...> wrote:

                                                > Dave, I don't think Laura really wants any sheep--just a Herschel Wedge, lol. ;-)
                                                > CS,
                                                > Scott, in NC
                                                >
                                                > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "oak_conkers" <oak_conkers@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Laura the first time I became aware of that item of attire was when as a child (and thats a long time ago, believe me) born and living in the county of Yorkshire in the UK, that local sheep farmers would put them on the sheep about the same time as the wool shearing season would start, truth or tall tale? you tell me,get the answer right and I,ll send you your very own sheep.Dave.
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@> wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Thanks for the helpful answers, especially from those who do solar viewing with SV telescopes. Much appreciated!
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Laura (wearing twist-less knickers... LOL)

                                              • robert crews
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 3 3:01 PM
                                                  Can we get back to serious issues, ie, the Division I National Championship and
                                                  the Division II Final Four ??  <<  gr  >>

                                                  BTW, I've been using the SV 6.1 ep. True, it's not a Nagler, an Ethos, or a
                                                  Delos but for $100, I consider it really good. So good, in fact, that I've
                                                  ordered the SV 4.9 which I need like another hole in my head !

                                                  Bob Crews, Bellarmine '70
                                                  University of Kentucky in my dreams

                                                  ________________________________
                                                  Scott, wool is nicer next to the skin, anyway I wrap my Naglers in it,this topic
                                                  is now closed, no offence intended, Dave

                                                  --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "scott_nc" <ssatko@...> wrote:

                                                  > Dave, I don't think Laura really wants any sheep--just a Herschel Wedge, lol.
                                                  >;-)
                                                  > CS,
                                                  > Scott, in NC
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "oak_conkers" <oak_conkers@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Laura the first time I became aware of that item of attire was when as a
                                                  >child (and thats a long time ago, believe me) born and living in the county of
                                                  >Yorkshire in the UK, that local sheep farmers would put them on the sheep about
                                                  >the same time as the wool shearing season would start, truth or tall tale? you
                                                  >tell me,get the answer right and I,ll send you your very own sheep.Dave.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "llcalderone" <lcaldero505@> wrote:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Thanks for the helpful answers, especially from those who do solar viewing
                                                  >with SV telescopes. Much appreciated!
                                                  > > >

                                                  > > > Laura (wearing twist-less knickers... LOL)

                                                • JAS
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 3 7:07 PM
                                                    Ahem, getting back to the actual thread, I know you started with considering a Lunt Herschel Wedge but I wanted to share my SV air spaced ED doublet wedge experience too. I ordered the photographic version (equally does visual) of the Baader Herschel Wedge back in December. It took 6 weeks to make and was well worth the wait. Aside from the ND filter sets - yes sets, it also has a continuum filter which s designed for achromats to help compensate for coloring. It has a built in thermal dipersion system that doubles as a solar finder. Its material is similar to that of the heat shield from the space shuttle. One of my favorite features is the twist lock for the lenses. With the optional polarising filter I loosen the click lock, spin the EP into optimal viewing and relock the EP into place. Much nicer than the usual screw holder for EyePieces.

                                                    Something to consider. I know Lunt has a nice rep, but Baader has a long history in the industry as well. I'll be using mine to image and view the Transit of Venus in June with my SV ED 80!

                                                    John Sillasen