Re: Minus Violet Fringe Removing Filters

  • scott_nc
    Message 1 of 56 , Mar 7, 2012
      Thanks for the reply, Robert. The filter that I saw on AM has been sold, but that's okay, as I've decided that I don't really want to trade the minimal purple haze that I see with my Nighthawk for a tinted view. Honestly, I've never really seen a pressing need for any filtration, but mainly got curious when I saw what looked like a good deal on this filter on AM. But I really have enough gear as it is at the moment. So if another one comes up on AM, feel free to buy it without worrying that you're scooping it away from me!
      Regards,
      Scott, in NC

      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "astrogeezer41" <astrogeezer41@...> wrote:

      > Hi Scott,
      >
      > I have an 1.25" SV Chromo filter that I do use on occaision. I used it last night on the Moon to remind myself what to tell you. It gives a weakly yellow tint on the Moon, not nearly as stong a tint as does the Orion filter.
      >
      > Actually, I wouldn't mind getting a 2" SV Chromo filter myself. I actually had one ordered from SV but it was backordered for such a long time that I just let it drop. Perhaps I'll try one from A-Mart
      > but I won't order from them until I'm sure that I'm not taking it away from you.
      >
      > In the meantime, tomorrow is THURSDAY. KEEP THINKING BLUE! AND I
      > HOPE YOU GET CLEAR SKIES THURSDAY NIGHT!!
      > -Robert
      > Spring Valley, IL
      >
      > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "scott_nc" <ssatko@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the advice, Mary! I'm still on the fence about getting this filter.
      > > CS,
      > > Scott, in NC
      > >
      > > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "flyingpinkpig" <flyingpinkpig@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Scott,
      > > >
      > > > I don't know about the SV Minus Violet Filter, but I do have an Orion V-Block filter and yes, it does tint the color of the object you are observing. My filter gives it a slight green/yellow cast. I don't find it bothersome as I mostly only use it on the planets at high magnifications, such as Venus or Jupiter and Mars during oppositions. You certainly will not need it on the SV80S LOMO, but it does come in handy for any achromats and I also use it on my ED scopes at higher magnifications.
      > > >
      > > > Mary

    • astrogeezer41
      Message 56 of 56 , Mar 13, 2012
        I hope you get some clear weather soon! -Robert, Spring Valley, IL