Re: SFF7-21 Ordered

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 12:06 AM
      Hello C&T!

      When you say "they are rather deep", do you mean there's a lot of threaded area to be screwed into the T-ring itself? My T-ring has a total thickness of 1/2" with 1/4" of that threaded area. Is it deeper than that?

      Gary

      --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "C and T" <ctastroimager@...> wrote:

      > Hi Gary,
      >
      > Congrats on the FF! Grrr...we don't need anymore bad weather here in TN...hopefully it will stay further East :-)
      >
      > The SFF7-21 has normal t-threads so no worries there. Only word of caution I will add is that they are rather deep... I can measure mine if you feel it could be a problem. I have to space my FF with brass rings, so I'm able to take up some of that distance. Your t-ring may be plenty deep so may not be a problem.
      >
      > Look forward to your images!
      > - C&T
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 12:10 AM
        Peter,

        I'm not quite sure what a vignetting transducer is as I've never used, or seen, a FF in person but I'll find out soon.

        Thanks!
        Gary

        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, Peter Markwort <petermarkwort@...> wrote:

        > Gary,
        >
        > I am not sure if you require a specific T-ring, but I found that if you
        > leave the vignetting transducer in place you will have a lot less
        > discoloration in the alpha range.
        >
        > Peter
        >
        > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Gary <starmangmh@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Good Afternoon!
        > >
        > > My wonderful wife just ordered me a SFF7-21 FF for my upcoming birthday so
        > > it looks like I'll be having some prime focus fun this year with my trusty
        > > 70ED. I apologize to everyone on the East Coast in advance and hope the bad
        > > weather doesn't last too long as a result!! Since I'll be continuing my
        > > adventures in film AP, I have been stocking up on Kodak's most recently
        > > discontinued film, Elite Chrome 200 so hopefully I'll have some decent
        > > images to post this year. Do these units require a special T-ring or is just
        > > a regular T-ring all that's needed? I have a Nikon T-ring that I've used in
        > > the past for non-corrected PF AP but I'm not sure if it's the same one
        > > needed for the SFF7-21.
        > >
        > > Gary

      • templec2002
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 7:16 AM
          Hi Gary,

          Sorry for the slow reply... I measured the threads on mine, and they are 8mm deep...so 0.315". I use some brass 2mm/1mm/0.5mm spacers to take it up a bit and that seems to work OK.

          - C&T

          --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <starmangmh@...> wrote:

          > Hello C&T!
          >
          > When you say "they are rather deep", do you mean there's a lot of threaded area to be screwed into the T-ring itself? My T-ring has a total thickness of 1/2" with 1/4" of that threaded area. Is it deeper than that?
          >
          > Gary
          >

          > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "C and T" <ctastroimager@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Gary,
          > >
          > > Congrats on the FF! Grrr...we don't need anymore bad weather here in TN...hopefully it will stay further East :-)
          > >
          > > The SFF7-21 has normal t-threads so no worries there. Only word of caution I will add is that they are rather deep... I can measure mine if you feel it could be a problem. I have to space my FF with brass rings, so I'm able to take up some of that distance. Your t-ring may be plenty deep so may not be a problem.
          > >
          > > Look forward to your images!
          > > - C&T

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 10:49 AM
            Thanks C&T! It should be here in the next couple of days so I'll see how it looks and works.

            Gary

            --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "templec2002" <ctastroimager@...> wrote:

            > Hi Gary,
            >
            > Sorry for the slow reply... I measured the threads on mine, and they are 8mm deep...so 0.315". I use some brass 2mm/1mm/0.5mm spacers to take it up a bit and that seems to work OK.
            >
            > - C&T
          • Gary
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6 10:24 AM
              My FF arrived today. Definitely not what I expected it to look like. Actually it looks almost exactly like the TV 2" camera adapter I've been using for several years and it's the exact same dimension. My T-ring screws all the way down same as the adapter. Looks like I'm in business...now for some decent skies!!!!