RE: [Stellarvue] New owner of a Stellarvue SV90TBV

  • Scott in NC
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
      Welcome to the group, Bob! You sure picked a great scope for your first Stellarvue! (I say "first," as for many of us, SV refractors are like potato chips--you can't have just one!). As I told you the other day, I've personally viewed through your particular SV90TBV, back when it was owned by the original purchaser, and can attest to the quality of the optics. Now all you need are for the skies to clear up again here in NC. It looks like it might clear up by Sunday--hopefully I'll be able to get your "new" RDF to you by then for use on your 90TBV.
      Clear skies,
      Scott, in NC

      To: Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com
      From: seabirdwt@...
      Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:31:47 +0000
      Subject: [Stellarvue] New owner of a Stellarvue SV90TBV

      I have been reading from this group for a good while learning more about Stellarvue products. In the past I have owned (2) Televue Genesis, (1) Televue 85, (1) Televue 76, 1 Tak Fs-78, and 1 Wo 80mm. All were very good refractors in their own way at least to my eyes.

      I have always been intrigued by the enthusiasm of Stellarvue owners. So almost 2 years ago I purchased a used M1 mount and later followed up with a discontinued SV black lightweight tripod. A very good match for light travel, mostly to my courtyard for quick views. I started to feel that SV offered a good value with a great product.

      Recently, I turned it up a notch planning for a slightly larger grab and go scope. My plan was to try out a MG mount and so I posted a want ad and quickly offered one. After struggling back and forth with what size of refractor to replace my WO 80mm with, btw the Wo 80mm is a great scope, decided on a 90mm. So, I began searching and decided on a SV 90mm initially with the FPL53 lens. Before I knew it a email arrived from a previous contact asking if there was interest on my part in purchasing their SV90TBV, otherwise they planned to post a for sale ad in afew days. I quickly accepted the offer and now have my first Stellarvue refractor.

      I am a casual observer and my senior HS son peeks occasionally. He just completed his high school senior project working with a mentor learning the night sky while also learning how to use a Nexstar 8SE setup. His interests are fishing, like mine, but I suspect he will remember his time looking thru telescopes and return later in life just like I did, possibly with a son or daughter peeking occasionally.

      I still remember my small sears cheep refractor and peeking out my bedroom window.

      Greetings to all,

      Bob

    • David and Sharon Elosser
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
        Hi Bob. Welcome to the group and congradulations on your SV90. You've had a
        very impressive selection of refractors over the years.

        David E

        >I have been reading from this group for a good while learning more about
        >Stellarvue products. In the past I have owned (2) Televue Genesis, (1)
        >Televue 85, (1) Televue 76, 1 Tak Fs-78, and 1 Wo 80mm. All were very good
        >refractors in their own way at least to my eyes.
        >
        > I have always been intrigued by the enthusiasm of Stellarvue owners. So
        > almost 2 years ago I purchased a used M1 mount and later followed up with
        > a discontinued SV black lightweight tripod. A very good match for light
        > travel, mostly to my courtyard for quick views. I started to feel that SV
        > offered a good value with a great product.
        >
        > Recently, I turned it up a notch planning for a slightly larger grab and
        > go scope. My plan was to try out a MG mount and so I posted a want ad and
        > quickly offered one. After struggling back and forth with what size of
        > refractor to replace my WO 80mm with, btw the Wo 80mm is a great scope,
        > decided on a 90mm. So, I began searching and decided on a SV 90mm
        > initially with the FPL53 lens. Before I knew it a email arrived from a
        > previous contact asking if there was interest on my part in purchasing
        > their SV90TBV, otherwise they planned to post a for sale ad in afew days.
        > I quickly accepted the offer and now have my first Stellarvue refractor.
        >
        > I am a casual observer and my senior HS son peeks occasionally. He just
        > completed his high school senior project working with a mentor learning
        > the night sky while also learning how to use a Nexstar 8SE setup. His
        > interests are fishing, like mine, but I suspect he will remember his time
        > looking thru telescopes and return later in life just like I did, possibly
        > with a son or daughter peeking occasionally.
        > I still remember my small sears cheep refractor and peeking out my bedroom
        > window.
        >
        > Greetings to all,
        > Bob

      • jmcarpen
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
          Hi Bob,
          Congratulations on your "new" SV90TBV. I am intimately acquainted original owner of your scope and, having spent innumerable nights viewing through it, can attest that you got a good one. Enjoy!

          JimC
          Denver

        • k75jim@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
            Bob,

            Congratulations on your "new" SV90TBV. I think as you use it more and more you will come to understand why we long-time SV'ers are always chanting: "Seeing is believing!"

            Clear, dark skies,

            Jim S.
            SV80L, SV115T20, C9.25, in...
            Redlands, CA

          • Phil
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
              Hi Bob!

              Glad to see you posting on the SV Group. Lot of great guys and a lot of great scopes! A really fun and informative site.

              As Jim, Scott and others have attested, you've got a great scope and it'll provide you some wonderful views--enjoy!

              Phil, Seattle
              SV102APO f/8 Lomo

              --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "jmcarpen" <carp.jm@...> wrote:

              > Hi Bob,
              > Congratulations on your "new" SV90TBV. I am intimately acquainted original owner of your scope and, having spent innumerable nights viewing through it, can attest that you got a good one. Enjoy!
              >
              > JimC
              > Denver
              >
              > --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <seabirdwt@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have been reading from this group for a good while learning more about Stellarvue products. In the past I have owned (2) Televue Genesis, (1) Televue 85, (1) Televue 76, 1 Tak Fs-78, and 1 Wo 80mm. All were very good refractors in their own way at least to my eyes.
              > >
              > > I have always been intrigued by the enthusiasm of Stellarvue owners. So almost 2 years ago I purchased a used M1 mount and later followed up with a discontinued SV black lightweight tripod. A very good match for light travel, mostly to my courtyard for quick views. I started to feel that SV offered a good value with a great product.
              > >
              > > Recently, I turned it up a notch planning for a slightly larger grab and go scope. My plan was to try out a MG mount and so I posted a want ad and quickly offered one. After struggling back and forth with what size of refractor to replace my WO 80mm with, btw the Wo 80mm is a great scope, decided on a 90mm. So, I began searching and decided on a SV 90mm initially with the FPL53 lens. Before I knew it a email arrived from a previous contact asking if there was interest on my part in purchasing their SV90TBV, otherwise they planned to post a for sale ad in afew days. I quickly accepted the offer and now have my first Stellarvue refractor.
              > >
              > > I am a casual observer and my senior HS son peeks occasionally. He just completed his high school senior project working with a mentor learning the night sky while also learning how to use a Nexstar 8SE setup. His interests are fishing, like mine, but I suspect he will remember his time looking thru telescopes and return later in life just like I did, possibly with a son or daughter peeking occasionally.
              > > I still remember my small sears cheep refractor and peeking out my bedroom window.
              > >
              > > Greetings to all,
              > > Bob

            • Bob
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2011
                Thanks to everyone for the cheerful welcome! I have enjoyed hearing back from previous owner's too!

                I have taken opportunity to peek thru this scope once scanning the sky looking at stars while adjusting down the tripod legs to fit the new scope. As expected a nice dark background and bright star field.

                Regards,
                Bob