Re:2.5mm Nagler

  • alan7170
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2010
      Patrick-

      My experience mirrors Jims with the TMB high power planetaries. I now use a Pentax XW and am quite happy. You should know that the eyecup on the Pentax twists up so you can place your eye right against it if that is how you prefer to observe. And, I find the twist up eye cup to be more comfortable than the Radian pupil guide design.

      Best,
      Alan

    • Patrick Wayne
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2010
        Alan,

        I thought long and hard about it last night. I canceled my order for the TMB 3.2mm. I will get the Pentax 3.5mm XW instead. I thought about the fact that the twist up eyecup would work better for me than the Radian click-stop eyecup. I think I will be very pleased with the Pentax. And, if I'm not, I can send it back and try again.

        Patrick
        On Jun 2, 2010, at 8:14 AM, alan7170 wrote:

        > Patrick-
        >
        > My experience mirrors Jims with the TMB high power planetaries. I now use a Pentax XW and am quite happy. You should know that the eyecup on the Pentax twists up so you can place your eye right against it if that is how you prefer to observe. And, I find the twist up eye cup to be more comfortable than the Radian pupil guide design.
        >
        > Best,
        > Alan

        Patrick Wayne
        pwayne@...

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2010
          In my opinion, yes the XW's are worth the price tag. I bought mine one at a time, looked for sales and also picked one up on Astromart. Another great, but less appreciated line are the 1.25" barrel 12mm and 8mm Pentax XF's, which have the same FOV and ER as the Radians, but are less expensive. I use these in my bino's. I have used (and will continue to use) both Televue (Nagler T4's and Ethos) and Pentax (XW's and XF's) EPs for my scopes. They are all really good, at what they each do best. If ever forced to choose one set however, I would stay with the Pentax line. The 3.5 mm XW you have selected to purchase is my high power EP for my SV-80ED (gives 160X)... it is one of my favorite of the entire line. At higher powers it retains a "cold" pure white view to tease out subtle features just as brightness starts to drop off with increasing magnification (whereas the Radians are a bit "warm" and slightly less white); it retains image sharpness across a 70 deg AFOV (vice 60 deg FOV), which means less nudging in manual alt-az mount modes; and the good eye relief reduces the fatigue that normally comes with low focal length EP's, where you must constantly reposition the eye.

          Let us know what you think when you get first light on your new EP.

          Jim M.
          Northern VA