NEAF SV dinner 2010 STILL ROOM LEFT

  • globbustertom
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3 10:36 AM
      We're now up to 20, plus whoever may have signed up with Shelly. I'll call her on Monday.
      BUT THERE'S STILL PLENTY OF ROOM.
      Wow, I wish I could make it. This one promises to be a great time.
      So get back to me if you're even thinking about it.
      Tom A

      PS check the list in the files section of this group and make sure I got your email or phone call. I'll be in touch for the menu soon.
    • nsim_99
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3 6:20 PM
        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "globbustertom" <starsailtom@...> wrote:

        > We're now up to 20, plus whoever may have signed up with Shelly. I'll call her on Monday.
        > BUT THERE'S STILL PLENTY OF ROOM.
        > Wow, I wish I could make it. This one promises to be a great time.
        > So get back to me if you're even thinking about it.
        > Tom A
        >
        > PS check the list in the files section of this group and make sure I got your email or phone call. I'll be in touch for the menu soon.

        Tom, it ain't gonna be the same without you.
      • stellarvue1
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3 10:22 PM
          We are really going to miss you Tom. One less pirate - arg. This year I am NOT trying to feverishly get a new telescope or three ready for NEAF. I ended up ahead of schedule for NEAF stuff. Shelly and Casey have been volunteering some extra time (for which they are getting time and a half - look for a telescope price increase soon ;-). So I have time to really make this a very fun evening. With Preston and Jon doing their programs and me doing mine, we will all be spending some time rolling on the floor I am sure.

          The first person to spot Bigfoot in our booth gets a dinner and a free apo beer on me.

          Now down to business. Those who plan to attend NEAF and can volunteer in the booth should email me. We will have the raffle and group shot (the Stellarvue Wolf Pack) on Saturday. I had posted in an email that this would be at 12 noon, but I think we will do that later once we see what the presenters schedule looks like. It will probably be around 3PM. I will keep you all posted.

          So if any of you plan to attend NEAF and can help in our booth, please email me at vic at stellarvue dot com. Those who work three hours get a free shirt, either a button shirt like I wear or a polo shirt like Tiger wears.

          Hope to see you all at NEAF. Again, Tom, sorry you cannot make it, but if your plans change, please join us. It's entirely on me.

          Vic

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 10:23 AM
            Thanks Guys,
            Oh I wish I could be there. This one seems like a doozy of a good time.

            Clancey, my old collie and astro guardian-buddy, needs some special attention and I can't leave him.

            It's amazing how the dogs help with dark sky ventures. In Jersey there was a very nice spot, Coyle Field, that was only 30 mins from my house (which had decent sky too) and it was soooo nice to have that big fearless dog, off leash, checking the perimeter when I was there alone. Usually there were other people but sometimes it was just us. Their senses are so keen and collies, well, that was their main job, protection. (My concern was him getting skunked which never happened.)

            Down here in SW Fl. I have major light pollution. So, after the dog goes, I'm gonna look for a dark spot. The concern here is the usual critters, but the scary ones are the gators, crocs at the beaches, and now pythons too. All of which could kill a dog. Some other protection will be required. I think it's against the law to kill a gator. I'll have to check if preservation of human life negates that law, lol. I saw a gator in my canal a few months ago. Got the heart going. I sail-yak in there!

            Tom
          • JAS
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4 7:16 PM
              I can make it this year. I was asked in 2008 I for sure but can do it this year. I will be at NEAIC as well as NEAF as I have been since NEAIC #1.

              Let me know if I made the list this year.

              John Sillasen

              --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "stellarvue1" <vic@...> wrote:

              > We are really going to miss you Tom. One less pirate - arg. This year I am NOT trying to feverishly get a new telescope or three ready for NEAF. I ended up ahead of schedule for NEAF stuff. Shelly and Casey have been volunteering some extra time (for which they are getting time and a half - look for a telescope price increase soon ;-). So I have time to really make this a very fun evening. With Preston and Jon doing their programs and me doing mine, we will all be spending some time rolling on the floor I am sure.
              >
              > The first person to spot Bigfoot in our booth gets a dinner and a free apo beer on me.
              >
              > Now down to business. Those who plan to attend NEAF and can volunteer in the booth should email me. We will have the raffle and group shot (the Stellarvue Wolf Pack) on Saturday. I had posted in an email that this would be at 12 noon, but I think we will do that later once we see what the presenters schedule looks like. It will probably be around 3PM. I will keep you all posted.
              >
              > So if any of you plan to attend NEAF and can help in our booth, please email me at vic at stellarvue dot com. Those who work three hours get a free shirt, either a button shirt like I wear or a polo shirt like Tiger wears.
              >
              > Hope to see you all at NEAF. Again, Tom, sorry you cannot make it, but if your plans change, please join us. It's entirely on me.
              >
              > Vic
              >

              > -- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "globbustertom" <starsailtom@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We're now up to 20, plus whoever may have signed up with Shelly. I'll call her on Monday.
              > > BUT THERE'S STILL PLENTY OF ROOM.
              > > Wow, I wish I could make it. This one promises to be a great time.
              > > So get back to me if you're even thinking about it.
              > > Tom A
              > >
              > > PS check the list in the files section of this group and make sure I got your email or phone call. I'll be in touch for the menu soon.

            • Steven
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4 11:07 PM
                Tom:

                Wish I could gop to NEAF or a star party somewhere. But I just took a job and can't get away.

                Under normal circumstances, it is illegal to feed, harass or otherwise mess with a gator (or a crocodile, which are also protected and pretty rare these days). There's a hunting season for gators, but you need a special license. You can't kill one on spec.

                But if it's you or the gator, you gotta do what you gotta do. The one who will win is the one with the gun. Without the gun, he wins.

                When I was a Park Naturalist, I would always advise people to stay away from the water's edge and not get within 25-50 feet of an alligator unless you can run 35 mph.

                A large dog can protect you from coyotes, wolves, bears, raccoons, etc., but may not deter a gator larger than 8-9 feet. A gator thinks a dog is an easy snack. The dog will investigate and get nabbed. Dogs have been so domesticated and always protected by their owners that they've lost a sense of what is a danger to them. The gator will do what he's programmed to do. They'e not very smart, but they are good opportunistic stealth predators.

                When we went canoeing at Sawgrass Lake Park to collect trash from the canals and lakes, we frequently bumped into gators. Scared the hell of us and the gators. They always made a big splash, went away very quickly but we never felt threatened.

                Generally, gators avoid people. The ones that are dangerous are the ones that have been fed and associate people with food. I have some great gator photos I've taken over the years and some amazing stories too.

                Hope Clancey feels better.

                Steve Gaber, SV105T
                Oldsmar, FL

                --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "globbustertom" <starsailtom@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Guys,
                > Oh I wish I could be there. This one seems like a doozy of a good time.
                >
                > Clancey, my old collie and astro guardian-buddy, needs some special attention and I can't leave him.
                >
                > It's amazing how the dogs help with dark sky ventures. In Jersey there was a very nice spot, Coyle Field, that was only 30 mins from my house (which had decent sky too) and it was soooo nice to have that big fearless dog, off leash, checking the perimeter when I was there alone. Usually there were other people but sometimes it was just us. Their senses are so keen and collies, well, that was their main job, protection. (My concern was him getting skunked which never happened.)
                >
                > Down here in SW Fl. I have major light pollution. So, after the dog goes, I'm gonna look for a dark spot. The concern here is the usual critters, but the scary ones are the gators, crocs at the beaches, and now pythons too. All of which could kill a dog. Some other protection will be required. I think it's against the law to kill a gator. I'll have to check if preservation of human life negates that law, lol. I saw a gator in my canal a few months ago. Got the heart going. I sail-yak in there!
                >
                > Tom

              • DavidB
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5 9:24 AM
                  Hi Steve

                  Guess that means you won't be making a return journey to Pennsylvania this summer. :-(

                  David B.

                  Pen Argyl, PA

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 6 11:43 AM
                    David B:

                    Well, I dunno.

                    The job is tesaching an Introduction to Archaeology course at Eckerd College. But so far, it's only one course and it ends May 16. I'm hoping there will be more in OCtober.

                    So there is a possibility that I could get away for a short time. However, we are going to England and Spain for the month of September and my wife may not have any more vacation time.

                    Unfortunately, I will not be taking my SV105T on that trip.

                    But we're hoping to make a short jaunt to PA sometime.

                    Steve Gaber
                    SV105T
                    Oldsmar, FL