Re: [Stellarvue] Re: August SV Challenge

  • David and Sharon Elosser
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
      We might be getting some good weather this week but of course now there's a
      new moon coming. :-/

      David E

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
        Ain't much better here in the Tampa Bay area. Haven't had my scope out in a week or two.

        Jupiter was in a clear spot in the sky for a while, but I wasn't gonna drag it out for a 10-minute or less session. By the time I did, the clouds would probably cover Jupiter up again.

        Steve Gaber
        Sanderling, 1967 C-31 #77
        Oldsmar, FL

        --
      • George
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
          Larry,

          I really appreciate you putting together these challenge lists. They are very fun. I had a pretty good 2 day run in July and caught all but Luna, NGC 6894 and Pluto.

          Looking forward to giving your August Challenge list a go.

          Thanks,

          George
          Cascade, ID
        • mineralman55
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 12, 2009
            Just a reminder for the August Challenge, the Lunar occultation of M45 is on Friday, August 14. Be ready.

            Despite the perpetually dismal weather down here, I've managed to sneak in some viewing to get most of the planets so far.

            Larry
            New Orleans
          • mineralman55
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 14, 2009
              Quick but excellent viewing this morning. 77 degF and humid, but clear and very steady (no skeeters!) The moon was a beautiful crescent. In went the Pan 19 (29x) for a stunning view of the moon with the Pleiades behind it. I switched to my BO/TMB 4mm (140x) and watched as luna slowly occulted one star after another in M45. There was plenty of earthshine so I could see the dark limb of the moon move across stars in the open cluster. Wonderful sight.

              Caught Mars but it was orange and non-descript. Went to Venus, and this was a treat. With no filters on my NHNG at 140x, Venus was clean! There was NO purple fringe on Venus. For an ED telescope, this is quite a feat. Vic, if your larger ED scopes can do this, I'm going to have to seriously consider getting one... soon (a 130mm maybe?).

              Finished up with M42 in Orion using my 40mm Paragon with an O-III. This is a great sky-sweeper, and produced lots of nebulosity around the stars.

              Wonderful morning.

              Larry
              New Orleans
            • isogroup2000
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 14, 2009
                Larry,

                Caught M45 and the moon at 4 this morning using the new 110ED I got. Put in the binoviewers with 15mm Superwides and watched one of the brighter stars "set" on the moon. Beautiful 3-D view. Only when I put in the 2x corrector does the glass add up to enough to create a little bit of blue color. You do want this scope if you see 15 pounds of scope as "grab and go." I am posting the webcam photos later this weekend.

                Rick (61 degrees) in Michigan

                --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "mineralman55" <Larryo55@...> wrote:

                > Quick but excellent viewing this morning. 77 degF and humid, but clear and very steady (no skeeters!) The moon was a beautiful crescent. In went the Pan 19 (29x) for a stunning view of the moon with the Pleiades behind it. I switched to my BO/TMB 4mm (140x) and watched as luna slowly occulted one star after another in M45. There was plenty of earthshine so I could see the dark limb of the moon move across stars in the open cluster. Wonderful sight.
                >
                > Caught Mars but it was orange and non-descript. Went to Venus, and this was a treat. With no filters on my NHNG at 140x, Venus was clean! There was NO purple fringe on Venus. For an ED telescope, this is quite a feat. Vic, if your larger ED scopes can do this, I'm going to have to seriously consider getting one... soon (a 130mm maybe?).
                >
                > Finished up with M42 in Orion using my 40mm Paragon with an O-III. This is a great sky-sweeper, and produced lots of nebulosity around the stars.
                >
                > Wonderful morning.
                >
                > Larry
                > New Orleans

              • mineralman55
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 14, 2009
                  --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "isogroup2000" <clementsrb@...> wrote:
                  > Only when I put in the 2x corrector does the glass add up to enough to create a little bit of blue color. You do want this scope if you see 15 pounds of scope as "grab and go." I am posting the webcam photos later this weekend.

                  15 lbs is way too easy. :-)

                  My NHNG wants a BIG brother.

                  Larry
                • mineralman55
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 25, 2009
                    Any completions? Only a few more days. I got everything except Uranus and Mercury, so it's highly unlikely I'll finish this month's challenge.

                    The September challenge will be out soon. Any last minute suggestions?

                    Larry
                    New Orleans
                  • David and Sharon Elosser
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 25, 2009
                      Larry, no luck again this month, even on those few "clear" nights the haze
                      keeps me from seeing much more than the Moon or Jupiter. I hope next month
                      will be a better one.

                      David E

                      > Any completions? Only a few more days. I got everything except Uranus and
                      > Mercury, so it's highly unlikely I'll finish this month's challenge.
                      >
                      > The September challenge will be out soon. Any last minute suggestions?
                      >
                      > Larry
                      > New Orleans

                    • mineralman55
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 25, 2009
                        --- In Stellarvue@yahoogroups.com, "David and Sharon Elosser" <pde444@...> wrote:

                        > Larry, no luck again this month, even on those few "clear" nights the haze
                        > keeps me from seeing much more than the Moon or Jupiter. I hope next month
                        > will be a better one.

                        Yeah, the weather was truly poor in August, but hopes springs eternal. I'm including a few interesting asterisms in the September challenge. Look for it soon.

                        Larry
                      • sgaber@tampabay.rr.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 26, 2009
                          Same here.