Re: [Starship_Forum] Matt K. and H. Melville

  • Matt Kramer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
      Mary Ann,

      I'm amazed.  You're the first person I've talked to about Bartleby who thought it was even half as funny as I did.  The first half, that is.  See, I thought the story was fairly choppy, introducing hilarious characters in the first half and then concentrating on the narrator vs. Bartleby in the second.  It seems like Melville couldn't make up his mind about whether he wanted something light-hearted or something deep.  Bartleby was one of the main foci of my paper, though, which dealt with Melville's views of compassion and so forth.

      And as to sleep, I have been trying to raise the average by getting about 16 per day recently.  I think it feels a lot better! :)

      Matt Kramer
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2002
        This message from Matt dated Friday 2/1 just came in Digest #139.  I get the feeling this group is "processed" halfway around the world, because have any of you ever checked the date stamps on-line within the forum against your own computer's date stamp on posts you write?  I have, and they bear absolutely no relation to one another.

        So, Matt, I apologize.

        Your note really tickled me, but you say I only thought it was "half as funny" as you did?  Well, I hardly believe that, but if that is so, you must have been ROFL ;-)

        Yes, I had forgotten how the story ends.  I couldn't resist re-reading Bartleby from start to finish after I sent my post.  The only things that stick with me are the introductions and development of the characters and the narrator's description of his law practice.  One could almost consider the ending a cop-out, if I may be so arrogant to say so.  From the beginning of the story, one would never imagine B. starving himself to death in a prison-type of situation at its ending.  Perhaps, though, it was Melville's intention all along to dramatize something about extreme stubbornness and inflexibility ("I would prefer not to.").  But to fit the first half more appropriately, if I may dare say, you and I, at least, would have "preferred" a different ending.

        BTW, I think "foci" is the plural.

        Glad to hear you're getting more sleep, but you must have dropped from exhaustion to be sleeping 16 hours!  This may be a good opening to bring up recent research which I've heard now finds that sleep can't be "made up."  :-p  (This, from the Queen of Sleep, who, in order to protect my sources, shall remain anonymous :-)

        Keep up the good work.

        Mary-Ann