The Use of the Self by FM Alexander

  • Monart Pon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2012
      "...the most valuable knowledge we can possess is that of the use and
      functioning of the self, and of the means whereby the human individual
      may progressively raise the standard of his health and general
      well-being. And to those who are advocating individual right and individual endeavour in the world to-day, I venture to suggest that as a training for the realization of these commendable ideals, no more fundamental experience is available than that which comes to the person who, with or without a teacher, will patiently devote the time to learning to apply the technique in the act of living. The desire that mankind will come into the heritage of full individual freedom within and without the self still remains an "idealistic theory." Its translation into practice will call for individual freedom IN thought and action through the development of conscious guidance and control of the self. Then and then only will the individual be liberated from the domination of instinctive habit and the slavery of the associated automatic manner of reaction."

      Preface to The Use of the Self

      F. Matthias Alexander

      London, September 19, 1945